Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What do you think of Touchscreen for future Pentax DSLR's

Every company is going touch screen for everything nowdays and it just seems like a pointless and way overhyped technology that only makes things more difficult to handle. I don't think it would be a very good idea. On a phone it's already hard enough to use a touch screen keyboard.

Here's a couple things why I don't think it's so good. - You won't be able to see what you're touching unless you stare directly at the screen, and not just that but it's really easy to miss touch a button unless you have girly fingers. You wouldn't want to operate a camera without feeling the buttons to know where it is without looking.

Then you move the DSLR to your face and imagine the button start changing if you got big cheeks. Then the most bad part is the touch screen itself, it'll start to wear and grease out overtime... My cellphones touchscreen is already pretty heavily scratched out from usage and it's been a year.

I'm afraid that because most companies target the DSLR today mainly to fashion accessorizers who think smaller looks cooler rather than smaller makes it harder, or touch screen makes it look cooler rather than touch screen makes it harder; photographers who solely use the DSLR for it's intended purpose to take pictures will eventually have to face the facts. They really need to realize the difference between a point and shoot and a DSLR, rather than trying to make DSLR's look cool to appeal point and shooters because a DSLR is a different camera for a different purpose...

Everybody's using liveview? Okay, no need for real buttons, they are already looking at the screen to begin with... Looking through the liveview? They'll just use their nose to navigate the menu... Just hope M4/3rd or EVILS will keep their fashion inventions far away from the DSLR.

03-17-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No, but it would be a nice feature to be able to hook it up to an iPad via USB3 for viewing and controls.
03-17-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey the kx comes in candy colours, touch screens are next... maybe some body skins oh and GPS for auto photo tagging...
03-17-2010, 02:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
...GPS for auto photo tagging...
Well I don't mind that last idea But lets hope DSLRs don't get touch screens, I don't see the point. On a compact camera yeah, but DSLR hopefully not!

03-17-2010, 03:48 AM   #5

The day a DSLR comes with a touch screen is the day i stop buying DSLR cameras.

I either go for a compact then or stay with the cameras of today even if they become hard to find.
I will just get a few cameras then to make sure they last me a lifetime
03-17-2010, 03:54 AM   #6

then you can switch AF points in the K-x without moving your eyes away from the VF
03-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #7

Great!!! I will be able to change settings with my proboscis!!

03-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #8

well for example on the Lumix G2 the touchscreen is pretty sweet, because you can set an autofocus point on the screen and then the point will track the image even as you bring the camera to your face, and the screen turns off automatically and switches to the very good EVF.

However this only works with a digicam-style contrast detection autofocus. In THAT camera, which is like an SLR and works well, but beyond that I cant see great use for it. Menus might be better or the shooting info screen an intuitive way to change settings. Your preview would be as smudged as my iphone is though :/. Not really a killer feature on a DSLR

Also most companies have shi**y touch screens, you really gotta press on them, and they often darken / compromise the image (luverly iphone excepted, of course)
03-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Some even worse ideas:

* A 6-button chorded keypad on the side for issuing instructions.
* A 'mood' grip that changes colors to show how you're feeling.
* GPS with weather data (air temp & pressure, humidity, AQI.)
* A verbal interface (like, "Camera: select focus point 5, please").
* Subsystem that tracks your eye movements while you shoot.

And a hopefully good idea:

Lose the viewscreen; live-view is bluetoothed to your VR goggles.
03-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It will be nice if it can be enabled/disable as you wish. Or for that matter a lock/unlock feature in your face inavertly touch the screen and change the settings. In a P/S it is easy because you you not see tru a view finder as you do in the SLR/DSLR world.

A lock feature like the Motorola Droid is a nice feature to consider.

My 2 cents.
03-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
* A 6-button chorded keypad on the side for issuing instructions.
* A 'mood' grip that changes colors to show how you're feeling.
* GPS with weather data (air temp & pressure, humidity, AQI.)
* A verbal interface (like, "Camera: select focus point 5, please").
* Subsystem that tracks your eye movements while you shoot.

And a hopefully good idea:

Lose the viewscreen; live-view is bluetoothed to your VR goggles.
they might just turn your eyes into a camera, and save you some lens money... and your ass into a video projector...
03-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
... and your ass into a video projector...
Didn't Saturday Night Live do a skit about that?
03-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Some potential uses:

- selecting thumbnails for deletion
- zooming in and out of photos (2-finger pinch, unpinch)
- virtual dials/sliders with Live View for adjustment of parameters like WB, timer, etc...
03-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
Forum Member

The one problem with touchscreen on a DSLR is the lacking feedback. Everything else is a question of intelligent engineering und programming.
personally, i'd love to see a voice controlled camera, although it might make you look like a Jerk.
03-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
live-view is bluetoothed to your VR goggles.
I was googling around for this a few weeks ago. There's already a TV goggle thing which is battery powered and displays HDMI output, I can't remember the darned name though. But yeah, that'd put liveview straight to your eyes (via a lead though through which the HDMI is channeled). Not terribly inpressive resolution if I recall.

Touchscreen is only a matter of time. Of course manufacturers will do it because it frees up space on the body and means they'll need to deal with less mechanical buttons and bits to engineer into the body.