Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

anyone got an SLR IR conversion?

just wondering how pentax SLRs perform for IR

i notice the K-7 has a live view LCD which makes it perfect for a conversion do any others have live view?

03-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are a few from my converted K20d taken with various lenses and processed using different methods.

More can be seen here.

K20d Infrared - a set on Flickr

Or did you mean a DSLR with an IR filter on the Lens?

Non converted K20d, FA43 w R72, 30sec @ f9 ISO 100

Click on photo for large size

I think Live view would be pretty useless in this case since you cannot see through the filter. Haven't tried it with the K7 yet...

03-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Or did you mean a DSLR with an IR filter on the Lens?
<snip>
I think Live view would be pretty useless in this case since you cannot see through the filter. Haven't tried it with the K7 yet...
On an unconverted cam, up to 720nm is viewable; up to 780nm is marginal; deeper than that is impossible. On a converted cam, no problem. My P&S's (converted Minolta F300 and Sony DSC-V1 NightShot) both see through my deepest 1000nm filter with no trouble.
03-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for that, jeffjs live view is very usefull as you can see the image live in IR via the CCD, on SLRs without this light bypasses the CCD to the viewfinder so with an IR filter on the lens you see nothing

also with live view you can have the hot mirror replaced with clear glass and choose any type of non visible filter to go on the lens

non live view restricts you to one filter type that replaces the hot mirror instead of lens filters so you can still handhold using the viewfinder