Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Need Help with Next Pentax Body

Hi All, Been following the forums for a couple years. Think I've only ever posted once but I've learned allot from just reading 8-) I would like to request your assistance in upgrading my current camera body - the K100D.
I've looked at the k-x, K200D, K20, K10, K-7, etc and can't seem to a) find one that has the main things I really want and b) answer a couple questions about the features - in particular manual white balance.
So here's what I love about the K100D (which I'll be keeping as a second body).
Low light performance
Sensor. This puppy takes great photos - still a gem even in the current market 6MP is fine for most of my needs.
Size
AA Batteries - yes...I am one that likes this 8-) Although - the lack of this is not a deal-breaker.
What I don't like - ie why I am looking to upgrade:
Slow focussing (not sure if this is a result of my lenses)
Poor White Balance (although there's a user setting there's no memory to save\recall it)
Missing one or two key physical buttons I'd like for ease of access
Sticking to it doesn't allow me to feed my need to buy something new 8-)
I'd consider myself a casual enthusiast 8-) Lately most of my pictures revolve around my 11 month old daughter. Also like to take pics while on vacation - not so much lanscape as relatively close up interesting objects\people. The rest of my gear consists of:
Lenses:
50mm 1.4
35mm 2.0
Sigma 17-70
Pentax 540 flash
Most of the time the 50mm or 17-70 is on the camera.
So at the top of my wishlist is:
1) Excellent low ligh performance
2) Excellent white balance performance (or and easy way around poor performance like a "user" white balance or two. At least one static\saveable user setting for inside my house). Although I'd love to shoot RAW always, I don't always have the time I'd like t to fix the white balance via post-precessing. So it makes me less likely to take pictures during busier times.
3) Dedicated RAW button (or a button I can assign to RAW like the GREEN button).
4) Easy way to change ISO and White balance - ie - not sub menus. I think most of the new crop of Pentax cameras have this.
I thought I'd narrowed it down to the K-x but have seen a few comments that concern me. These are the ones posted in DPreview but seem to be common comments:
# Tendency to clip highlights in high-contrast scenes
# Relatively little RAW headroom means it is difficult to pull back blown detail even when shooting RAW
# Shake-reduction not too efficient
# Unreliable Auto White Balance in artificial light (but very good presets and WB fine tuning) -can I save these fine tunings to recall later?
As for the K-7, it seems that the consistent comment is that it's not as good at low light - but does everything else I would like. Low light is very important to me. I have a Panasonic Zs3 and a Canon S90 that are aweful in our house. We don't have allot of windows. The K100 is the best in terms of noise in our place (the prime lens and bounced flash help with this) but I miss allot of shots cause it won't focus fast enough on my moving daughter 8-)
So...just wondering if I'm reading to much into the "reviews". Perhaps the concerns about some of the bodies are concerns in todays market - but all still at least as good as the K100? Anything else come closer to meeting my needs better than the K-x from your experiences? Sorry for the long ramble 8-)
Your help is greatly appreciated.