Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 34
Where are the in store Pentax vendors?

Why are there so few brick and mortar Pentax product vendors? If any?

I recently joined the ranks of DSLR owners with the purchase of a KX. I have had the opportunity to use a Nikon D90 and a D5000. Also took a small about of shots with a Cannon product that was priced around $800, don’t remember the exact model designation.

After looking at the captured images and reviewing the price points, I went with the KX. I think it’s an excellent camera.

I am just amazed by the lack of vendors for Pentax products. I tested out a KX that was ordered by a friend from Costco. I also ordered mine there due to their 90 day full return policy. Now even Costco doesn’t carry the KX.

I see Nikon D3000s and D5000s, Canon Rebels in Sears, Kmart, Electronics Expo (Used to carry the KX, not any more) Best Buy, PC Richards, Macys, 6th Ave Electronics, Walmart (has Pentax stuff on line but not in store) and Target.

No Pentax stuff………

03-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 38
Fry's Electronics have both the k-x and k-7 in their stores and a very limited (as in quantity) of Pentax lenses. I don't know if they are anywhere near where you are though.
03-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
Pentax is apparently not interested in doing retail business, only online. Think of it as music. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, et al play live gigs. Pentax is a studio act.

EDIT: Further, Pentax doesn't advertise, not in the States anyway. They seem to depend on viral marketing. Maybe the Pentoya beaners figure it's most cost-effective this way. Maybe Pentoya is the first 21st-century cam.maker -- no infrastructure, all virtual.

Last edited by RioRico; 03-17-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: addendum
03-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manistee, MI
Posts: 295
Hokanson Camera of Manistee is a Pentax dealer. They have the K-x in several colors, along with the K-7, and assorted lenses. He also stocks Olympus gear, which is another odd-duck the big retail chains don't seem to favor.

03-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
Hokanson Camera of Manistee is a Pentax dealer. They have the K-x in several colors, along with the K-7, and assorted lenses. He also stocks Olympus gear, which is another odd-duck the big retail chains don't seem to favor.
I found at least one camera store in Colorado Springs that sells the K-x. In talks with the salesman he said the store chose to only stock the K-x, not the K-7. I would have bought mine locally but they couldn't beat B&H.
03-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Pauld's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 501
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Pentax doesn't advertise, not in the States anyway.
They do in Canada. I have seen many billboards and signs on buses promoting Pentax.
03-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,904
Over here in Minnesota they have a K-7 at National Camera Exchange in Edina a couple months back before I bought my K-7, not sure if they still have it on stock.

I really didn't think I would pick up the K-7, I was planning to switch brands to Sony. They had the a550 and K-7 both in stock and on display, the a550 just came out on shelves that day too so I was pretty surprised they already had it up on display to try out that quick. After holding both the a550 and K-7, I was so surprised by the quality of the K-7 compared to everything else I held there, the build, the size, the menu, everything was too perfect. I ended up going home and ordering a K-7 off Newegg for 1050 w/ a free cheap sling bag.

I also saw an advertisement of the Pentax K-x white, red, and navy on the Ultimate Electronics advertisement from the Sunday newspaper a few months ago; however I never really went there to check it out but I'm sure they probably still have it on stock and possibly to try out.
03-18-2010, 01:39 AM   #8
Forum Member
Timichango's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Photos: Albums
Posts: 62
Yep, I can corroborate that there's plenty of Pentax retail up here in Canada – Vancouver and Toronto, definitely, and I've seen the full line for sale on the websites of brick and mortar stores in Calgary and Montreal as well.

03-18-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 195
Since you are Staten Island, take the ferry boat ride to Manhattan and go to B&H, Adorama, J&R, or Willoughby's.
03-18-2010, 03:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,243
QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
Since you are Staten Island, take the ferry boat ride to Manhattan and go to B&H, Adorama, J&R, or Willoughby's.
Some of the biggest Pentax retailers are in New York, as mentioned above. Abe's of Maine is in Brooklyn, I believe and they stock a lot of Pentax stuff as well.
03-18-2010, 04:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Some of the biggest Pentax retailers are in New York...
A very few Pentax retailers are in the very largest US cities. In Sacramento, capital of the world's 7th largest economy, I can barely find one (Fry's Electronics has a scant sample). There's some old stuff in tourist rip-off zones in San Francisco, but no major retailers. Canon+Nikon dSLRs are in every Big Box Store in every little city. Sony+Olympus are easily found. Pentax is very nearly invisible. And zero ads.
03-18-2010, 04:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 195
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A very few Pentax retailers are in the very largest US cities. In Sacramento, capital of the world's 7th largest economy, I can barely find one (Fry's Electronics has a scant sample). There's some old stuff in tourist rip-off zones in San Francisco, but no major retailers. Canon+Nikon dSLRs are in every Big Box Store in every little city. Sony+Olympus are easily found. Pentax is very nearly invisible. And zero ads.
OK, guys&gals, lets play a mind game. I'm the manager of a local Best Buy which already has four camera vendors well established, my display space is full to overflowing, and sales are satisfactory. You are a Pentax representative trying to get access into my store. What can you tell me about Pentax camera sales that will persuade me to give up one of my established lines and allow Pentax into my shop? What advantage is there for me as a retailer?
03-18-2010, 05:09 AM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 34
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
Since you are Staten Island, take the ferry boat ride to Manhattan and go to B&H, Adorama, J&R, or Willoughby's.
YUP - dedicated camera stores and single location specality stores carry Pentax stuff, but the major stores with a regional or national location dont.

Too bad ...
03-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #14
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 34
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
OK, guys&gals, lets play a mind game. I'm the manager of a local Best Buy which already has four camera vendors well established, my display space is full to overflowing, and sales are satisfactory. You are a Pentax representative trying to get access into my store. What can you tell me about Pentax camera sales that will persuade me to give up one of my established lines and allow Pentax into my shop? What advantage is there for me as a retailer?

There are 3 Best Buy locations within 15 miles of my home. NONE of them are "overflowing" with DSLR camera products. Actually the DSLR space is the cheapest least well produced area in the camera dept. There are more sales staff and security around the pocket POS cameras than around the Nikon D90s and D5000s. I cant imagine how having KX teathered to a metal post connected with a wire cable stuck in there would pose any type of space issue at all. Maybe the minimum wage camera guy would have to learn about another product.

Cant imagine a product manager saying "Sales in the DSLR area are OK, lets just leave it alone"

Last edited by Warren s; 03-18-2010 at 05:35 AM.
03-18-2010, 05:39 AM   #15
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 195
QuoteOriginally posted by Warren s Quote
There are 3 Best Buy locations within 15 miles of my home. NONE of them are "overflowing" with DSLR camera products. Actually the DSLR space is the cheapest least well produced area in the camera dept. There are more sales staff and security around the pocket POS cameras than around the Nikon D90s and D5000s. I cant imagine how having KX teathered to a metal post connected with a wire cable stuck in there would pose any type of space issue at all. Maybe the minimum wage camera guy would have to learn about another product.

Cant imagine a product manager saying "Sales in the DSLR area are OK, lets just leave it alone"
You didn't answer that last question. Where is my advantage to add another slow-moving product? It adds virtually nothing to my bottom line. I've got no incentive to act yet. Everyone assumes that retail space is there for the asking, but I'm saying that is not necessarily so at these mass merchandisers.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, costco, dslr, electronics, kx, nikon, pentax, photography, product, store, vendors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pentax store in antwerpen jane7l Travel, Events, and Groups 1 09-04-2010 03:51 PM
Pentax store in Praga octavmandru Photographic Technique 5 04-14-2009 05:52 AM
suggested on line vendors for lenses? beaumont Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 08-02-2008 06:28 PM
question about online vendors... DanLoc78 Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 05-04-2008 04:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top