Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
After all this, I could have saved myself some embarrassment. This would be one of those rare times when I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
Lance, I owe you an apology.
You are 100% correct on this one, at least as it applies to the Pentax DSLRs that I have floating around my house.
At some point, I'll pull out my old F2s and see if it is as I think it is or if I am just plain confused.
Maybe you were holding the K-7 screen upside down. After all, the tab goes on the left now Every previous Pentax DSLR (and all the film bodies I know of) had the tab on the right.

03-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is my KatzEye from my K20d as would be facing the mirror

Click to pixel peep

Here it is as it goes into the camera (Tab on right in K20d)..

Clearly, the matte side goes toward the prism. Why would it be different on the K7?

With respect to a large format, the ground glass goes where the film plane is because you want it as close as possible to the film plane for critical focus. The screens on a Rolleiflex also go GG side toward mirror / viewing / focusing lens. X does not equal Y in this case.

03-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
After all this, I could have saved myself some embarrassment. This would be one of those rare times when I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
Lance, I owe you an apology.
You are 100% correct on this one, at least as it applies to the Pentax DSLRs that I have floating around my house.
At some point, I'll pull out my old F2s and see if it is as I think it is or if I am just plain confused.
No problems, my firend. Your apology is most welcome and it takes a big man to admit it. I applaud you for that.

I can see where the confusion lies, ie the Fresnal surface and the ground glass surface both being rough. The Fresnal surface is rough to the touch and the ground glass is also rough, but less so. Even I was a little confused because the Fresnal surface on the bottom of the screen threw me until I checked my previous emails from Rachael and then I could see that I was correct. Even then I emailed Rachael to make sure and Rachael confirmed that the top of the glass is the ground glass rough surface for focusing and the bottom is the Fresnal surface something I didn't know.
03-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #49
Pentaxian

In my case, when I looked, I had pulled a K20 screen, thinking I had a K7 screen. Of course, when a K20 screen is flipped to orient it to go into a K7, the groundglass side is facing the mirror.
I'm actually quite curious to check my film cameras to see if I've somehow managed to delude myself or if I just haven't been paying attention for the past 4 decades.

03-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #50
Veteran Member

In my case, when I looked, I had pulled a K20 screen, thinking I had a K7 screen. Of course, when a K20 screen is flipped to orient it to go into a K7, the groundglass side is facing the mirror.
I'm actually quite curious to check my film cameras to see if I've somehow managed to delude myself or if I just haven't been paying attention for the past 4 decades.
Too much monkeying with calculators, I guess
03-20-2010, 11:42 PM   #51
Pentaxian

My K-7 never came with a shim on it and it focuses perfectly fine. I'm guessing some does and some don't? I also realized that dust gets through the room from my focusing screen to my pentaprism much easier than the K2000 I used to have, in fact it's a dust magnet, there are like 3 new pieces of dust inside every time I use it; there's actually a piece of dust that's stuck dead-on inside my pentaprism that I can't even blow off. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong when changing lenses; lens down with camera facing down and using rocket blower to blow off body and lens before attaching.

Does shims also block off the size of the gap that allows dust to get inside? I am interested in buying one but don't know how that will work because my OEM focusing screen is already working fine and I wouldn't want to add any focusing problems.
03-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
My K-7 never came with a shim on it and it focuses perfectly fine. I'm guessing some does and some don't?
Yes, I think this is the case. I would say that the cameras are calibrated before sale and therefore a shim of the correct thickness is installed, or possibly no shim at all if not required.

Are you absolutely sure there is no shim? If there is a shim, it will have a silver outline stuck to the pentaprism. Otherwise, the area where the focus screen is put against the pentaprism will be black plastic.

QuoteQuote:
I also realized that dust gets through the room from my focusing screen to my pentaprism much easier than the K2000 I used to have, in fact it's a dust magnet, there are like 3 new pieces of dust inside every time I use it; there's actually a piece of dust that's stuck dead-on inside my pentaprism that I can't even blow off. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong when changing lenses; lens down with camera facing down and using rocket blower to blow off body and lens before attaching.

Does shims also block off the size of the gap that allows dust to get inside? I am interested in buying one but don't know how that will work because my OEM focusing screen is already working fine and I wouldn't want to add any focusing problems.
No, the shim would do nothing to stop dust getting in.

If your focus is fine now, then getting a Katz Eye screen will mean that your focus will be fine also as it doesn't change the distance of the focus plane. I would go ahead and get one without concern of focus.
03-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #53
Forum Member

Thanks Lance

03-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
My K-7 never came with a shim on it and it focuses perfectly fine.
I highly doubt that. Most likely you just don't realize you're looking at the shim. I didn't think mine had a shim either, until I realized I could pull the metal mounting surface right out (that's the shim, the mounting surface). It looks like it's part of the camera, but it's not.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/928006-post29.html
03-21-2010, 08:54 AM   #55
Site Supporter

I haven't seen a shim in the K10d or K20d. Perhaps I'm missing it.
03-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #56
mel
Veteran Member

Has anyone been able to find these shims on the U.S. Pentax website?
03-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote

I just purchased a Katz Eye focus screen for my K-7 and received it yesterday. The screen is a ground glass screen with 1/3rd grid lines for composition and Opti-Brite treatment. There are no other focus aids other than the ground glass screen, there is no split prism or microprism collar.

. . .
This piece of information alone justifies this thread regardless of 50 other threads on other screen topics. I have been looking for manual focus screens appropriate for 1:1 and greater macro and there isn't much for my K20d except the Li-80 that Pentax has and I suspect that it is the same as the stock except for the cross rulers.

Last edited by Blue; 03-21-2010 at 01:07 PM.
03-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #58

I'm sorry if this sounds a little brash, but I think think that this thread brings up an interesting point about the shim. However, there is one thing that I have been wondering as I read through this thread. I understand that the focusing with the Katz Eye focus screen is supposed to make the image in the view finder "snap" into focus. However, with this other issue of the shim, I'm wondering if you correctly shim the stock focus screen, is the Katz Eye really that much better without any of the other focusing aids?
03-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simian Summit Quote
I'm sorry if this sounds a little brash, but I think think that this thread brings up an interesting point about the shim. However, there is one thing that I have been wondering as I read through this thread. I understand that the focusing with the Katz Eye focus screen is supposed to make the image in the view finder "snap" into focus. However, with this other issue of the shim, I'm wondering if you correctly shim the stock focus screen, is the Katz Eye really that much better without any of the other focusing aids?
Yes, the Katz Eye snaps intop focus better than the stock focus screen. With the same shim installed with either screen the Katz Eye is better in most situations.
03-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Has anyone been able to find these shims on the U.S. Pentax website?
I do not think that the shims are available as an itme for general sale. I would be sure that they are only available upon request.