Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I haven't seen a shim in the K10d or K20d. Perhaps I'm missing it.
In order to see the shim, you need to unclip the focus screen holder and let both the holder and the screen drop down. If you then look apwards to the bottom of the pentaprism you should see a metalic silver piece of metal that looks like this surrounding the bottom of the pentaprism:

I think it would be a rare camera to not have a shim and even rarer to have two different cameras with no shim. Having a shim is not a bad thing, as it is purely there for calibration purposes and is a necessity.

03-22-2010, 02:51 AM   #62
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
I do not think that the shims are available as an itme for general sale. I would be sure that they are only available upon request.
I see. You had mentioned you purchased them from Pentax, but not how you went about that: Whether it was via contacting them specifically about purchasing shims, or just popping onto the website and ordering them. Thanks. I guess I need to figure out who to contact. My K-7's Katz Eye split prism doesn't agree with the AF beep when I use an AF lens so I'm guessing some sort of shimming may be necessariy.
03-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
I see. You had mentioned you purchased them from Pentax, but not how you went about that: Whether it was via contacting them specifically about purchasing shims, or just popping onto the website and ordering them. Thanks. I guess I need to figure out who to contact. My K-7's Katz Eye split prism doesn't agree with the AF beep when I use an AF lens so I'm guessing some sort of shimming may be necessariy.
Mel, get in touch with Pentax customer service.
If they won't sell them to you, get in touch with me and I'll get you a set from Pentax Canada.
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why doesn't Katz-eye just bundle some shims? If you can make them out of tape, they obviously don't have to be expensive pieces of equipment.

A while back, I got the K3 screen from focusingscreen.com for my K-7. The first time I installed it, it was pretty tight, and I didn't realize you could remove the factory shim (it looked like a very necessary piece of equipment).

The screen shipped with two plastic/nylon shims though. I don't know if they were different sizes, because my micrometer was in my other pants, but when I removed the factory shim and installed one of the little plastic ones, it was much better.

That screen wasn't as bright as the original Pentax one, but it was nice to use. Then I sold a body and a bunch of manual focus glass and that went with it. I'm looking at getting another one now though, and was thinking of the katz eye for the brightness, but chances are I'll need another shim of one kind of another, so it's a pain that they're not included.

03-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
What's a millimeter? Can't you guys explain this in fractions of inches instead?

METRIC!? HELL NO! WE WON'T GO!

Too much work, and too hard.
I once thought that (I am an engineer) and after spending 12 year in Australia, I will never go back to the inch-pound system again - too confusing!
04-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #66

Awesome info, thanks for posting. I've been considering Katz Eye, but I thought it was plastic as well... Now I need to check on the shim on my K-7.