Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I've never taken that much notice notice of Leica due to the fact that the pricing makes it simply impossible to even consider it has an option. However it does seem you get something for your money - that Leica lens is something else...

03-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #32
Inactive Account

The Sumilux does look a lot better. It would be interesting to test the Sumilux vs FA31 under the following conditions:
1. Crop Sumilux to APS-C and stop down to 1.8 (to more or less even out the FOV).
2. Do test 1 stopped down to 2.8.
3. Test FA31 + adapter on a FF Nikon/Canon.

Also, it looks like the Pentax version of the flower photo is over-exposed.
03-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #33

Pentax K7

I had actually sold my K7 as I was going to be working with photographers who only shoot Nikon, well I missed it so much I decided I would be better off on my own and bought another K7 I just love this camera and how it feels, I did a bridal portrait with it and after the girls friends saw my work they want to hire me to do their wedding also, so I will be fine with my pentax. Now I just need to earn some money so I can purchase a 77, 31 and a 200mm 2.8. I just aquired a 17-70mm at a really good price.
I think this forum is a great place and a good source for information also, I visit it everyday.
03-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgbryan021900 Quote
I had actually sold my K7 as I was going to be working with photographers who only shoot Nikon, well I missed it so much I decided I would be better off on my own and bought another K7 I just love this camera and how it feels, I did a bridal portrait with it and after the girls friends saw my work they want to hire me to do their wedding also, so I will be fine with my pentax. Now I just need to earn some money so I can purchase a 77, 31 and a 200mm 2.8. I just aquired a 17-70mm at a really good price.
I think this forum is a great place and a good source for information also, I visit it everyday.
thats good to hear... you will be over the moon with the limiteds if you ever get them

On the article

loved to see this in a review

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax has natural colors and probably the best Auto White Balance I have seen on any digital camera to date. Seriously. The AWB is better than my $7000 Leica M9 AWB. Also better than the Nikon D300s I had through here recently.

cheers

Neil

03-22-2010, 03:24 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is a tough comparison. Most of the differences I see are likely due to differences in camera, rather than the lenses themselves. In particular, the differences in depth of field between APS-C and full frame are significant. Even if you take a photo with the subject the same size, the separation from the background will be less with APS-C.

I do really like the colors on the Leica. Feels very "organic."
03-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #36
Veteran Member

This article made me decide to finally buy the DA18-55 WR I had been thinking about for some months now. I was afraid the IQ wouldn't be good enough, but seeing his photo's nullified that arguement. Philippine rainy season, here I come!
03-22-2010, 03:52 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, apparently Ned Bunnell liked the review well enough to reference the review on his blog.....

NED BUNNELL: Steve Huff's Review of the K7

03-22-2010, 04:04 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know that this is not a direct comparison between the FA31 and the Leica glass, however Pentax did make the FA43 sometime ago in a Leica screw mount. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the FA43 against the Leica equivalent on the M9 body. This would be a much truer apples to apples test. Then from that, we could extrapolate on to the FA31 and FA77.

A used 31 came my way a few months ago. It has nudged the 12-24 off my K20. I do really like it for stitched panoramas. Steve Huff's comments on both the K7 and Pentax glass were extremely interesting and well grounded. Its very refreshing to read a very unbiased review, especially from someone so familiar with another camera line.

03-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know why no one has pointed this out yet, but if the K-7 used in this test had not been put through a proper focus calibration procedure, then it might not be focusing correctly, even with manual focus. In my own experience and that of many others, K-7s right out of the box frequently have backfocusing problems. Once the proper adjustments are made, lenses look much sharper.

Here is a page from the LensAlign website with a video that covers the importance of focus calibration with manual focus lenses.

Video Tutorials - All photos are (c)2001-2009 Michael Tapes (all rights reserved)

I am not saying that the Pentax 31/1.8 is as good as the Leica 35/1.4. It may or may not be. I am only saying that the comparison in the article cited may not have been properly performed.

Rob
03-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
This article made me decide to finally buy the DA18-55 WR I had been thinking about for some months now. I was afraid the IQ wouldn't be good enough, but seeing his photo's nullified that arguement. Philippine rainy season, here I come!
Congrats to your purchase! My camera came with that 18-55 WR and it was a great zoom lens, well built, well designed, and superb image quality. I don't use zooms myself, otherwise I would use it as my primary lens. Enjoy!
03-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for the reviews links.
03-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shawnxji Quote
Congrats to your purchase! My camera came with that 18-55 WR and it was a great zoom lens, well built, well designed, and superb image quality. I don't use zooms myself, otherwise I would use it as my primary lens. Enjoy!
I don't really use zooms either, but I needed something weatherproof and cheap.
03-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Looks great!
03-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I've been reading this guy for a while and like his approach. He does have his biases but they are right out there on display. And he takes good photos.
03-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Looks like Ned has taken notice of Mr. Huff's post on the K-7:

NED BUNNELL: Steve Huff's Review of the K7
Great. A blog post about a blog post.