Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like how the Pentax community has jumped all over this guy on his own blog, especially after he basicly had nothing but nice things to say about what he reviewed. Let's rip on this guy for saying a $4.5k "other brand" lens is Just barely better than a $1k Pentax lens. Make sure to show him what a bunch of arrogant jerks we Pentax users are. That will convince him to join us!

03-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say all but a couple were fair.....
03-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I really like how the Pentax community has jumped all over this guy on his own blog, especially after he basicly had nothing but nice things to say about what he reviewed. Let's rip on this guy for saying a $4.5k "other brand" lens is Just barely better than a $1k Pentax lens. Make sure to show him what a bunch of arrogant jerks we Pentax users are. That will convince him to join us!
There are no such posts on the K-7 article mentioned. And if one reads the FA31 review there is only one comment that could possibly be read in the way you say (by "Arnold").

Since no-one elected Arnold our representative, I think it hyperbolic to state that "the Pentax community has jumped all over this guy". In fact, most of the comments are considered and reasonable.
03-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nanao. Quote
The only case where I see a tie (sort of) is the second image - the 31 is clearly focused on the horizontal rear plank whereas the summilux on the front pillar/pillar top. I like the Leica's colours better though.
I agree that the focus points are different. In the last pair of photos, it is hard to find anything in focus in the Pentax example. All I know is that my 31 Ltd is quite sharp wide open. It seems clear that the reviewer is not a regular user of SLRs and that he is much more familiar with manually focusing a rangefinder. Still, his overall positive opinion of the K-7 and the Limited lenses indicates that he is a man of intelligence and discernment.

03-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nanao. Quote
The only case where I see a tie (sort of) is the second image - the 31 is clearly focused on the horizontal rear plank whereas the summilux on the front pillar/pillar top. I like the Leica's colours better though.
It might just be a case of different JPEG engine.
The Pentax with 4.0 MP/cm² pixel density, will put more strain on the lenses; making it appear less sharp. Compared to the Leica M9, with 2.1 MP/cm² pixel density.
I like the review, and how he goes at it. In the lens test, there are too many variables. Still nice to see some real world pictures.

As someone else mentioned, test the 43 limited in Leica mount, compared to a similar Leitz lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
its about time you see an honest review from someone who knows equipment, and more importantly, knows photography. even if he didnt like it, this is how it should be done.
Spot on
03-27-2010, 01:16 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I also agree the way this was tested is very refreshing and makes me feel more informed (review-wise anyway, I already use a K-7). I have seen a couple of reasonably similar reviews, and though I'm not saying there's no place for real IQ/technical detail reviews - I'm sure people would be asking for those if more reviews were along these lines- I am a fan of the 'what's this camera like to really use?' viewpoint.
04-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #52

That's one of the best reviews I read on K-7 so far, and that Working Hands photo is very nice... makes me drool over the 31mm f/1.8 once again after trying not to think about it for a while.

I stayed w/ Pentax instead of Sony FF because of the excellent prime lenses that Pentax puts out. I hope they continue this tradition of high quality compact lenses.