Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OP answered that question earlier - 120K ft. The balloon has to float 'on' or 'in' the gas of the atmosphere - once the atmosphere runs out there is no longer any lift. The ballon would then need some sort of peroxide jet pack on the side of it to get higher. Like oil in a half full salad dressing bottle it only rises to the top of the water not to the top of the bottle.
Two further questions though:
How much further would the setup need to get to become weightless ie be largely immune to gravitational pull and with what kind of lateral speed? (Geostationary orbit)
Is it possible to install a transmission system to send images back to your computer?
How long would the batteries last at that temperature?
You can see where I am going with this - building your own observation satellite...

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 04-02-2010 at 05:08 PM.
04-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
OP answered that question earlier - 120K ft. The balloon has to float 'on' or 'in' the gas of the atmosphere - once the atmosphere runs out there is no longer any lift. The ballon would then need some sort of peroxide jet pack on the side of it to get higher. Like oil in a half full salad dressing bottle it only rises to the top of the water not to the top of the bottle.
How much further would the setup need to get to become weightless ie be largely immune to gravitational pull and with what kind of lateral speed? (Geostationary orbit)
Is it possible to install a transmission system to send images back to your computer?
You can see where I am going with this - building your own observation satellite...

Are you saying you think it might be possible to do what NASA does for million if not billions less... you are a NUTTER!!!
04-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I've been following you guys since the first flight that you did with the K10D and the kit lens back a few years ago, in fact I think you are how I found PentaxForums in the first place, so thank you for that.

Anyways, I was a little more dissapointed with the results from this flight, the first one I still think was the best. I didn't quite like the fisheye results in the second outing either.
04-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Wow, I never get tired of looking at the photos you get with your K10D. Although these are not as great as your first flight I still never get tired of them.

Thanks for sharing,
Cory

04-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #35
Site Supporter

I meant to ask abut this photo in Space II but will ask here. Is that the Sun? I would have expected a larger flare if it is.

04-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, that is the sun. Flare isn't too bad, but remember the field of view is something like 169 degrees from corner to corner so the sun looks pretty small.
04-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #37
Veteran Member

What is the highest that your balloons can go? I think the first one was the highest that you took photos from before, but I was wondering if it's possible to go up even more.
04-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #38
Forum Member

Awesome shots, sure gives a neat perspective of the blue marble we all live on!

04-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote

Quite a bit for *geostationary orbit,* actually: I'm not sure if you could get something that *would* be true orbit without the atmosphere to worry about if one traded all the recovery equipment for a booster and some kind of transmitter. (Chances are, not. ) But trying to guess, off the top of my head, I don't think you'd get high enough for a *stable* orbit, even so. Even very thin atmosphere constitutes some drag for quite a ways up. They'd probably get further with just the balloon.
04-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

talk about pushing the proverbial 'envelope' !!! loved this series.... reminds me of those shots from old rockets from the late 40's and early 50's showing the earth below as the rocket shoots skywards.... thanks for the posting, dave m
04-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great project! Talk about getting high!
04-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Given the size and mass of the earth and the size and mass of the balloon, I don't think one could really get a balloon into orbit without some considerable help.

In reality, sattellites don't just float up there orbiting the planet; they are actually constantly falling towards the earth (due to gravity), but.... and this is the important part... they have enough lateral speed (combined with the Earth's orbital speed around the sun) to never actually "fall" any closer to the earth. This is a big reason why such powerful rocket engines are needed for space travel and sattellites. Once they are at the appropriate speed, gravity actually drives the rest. Eventually orbiting objects do tend to fall to the earth (items like Sputnik, etc already have). The question is how long is that eventually.

This means that for the balloon to actually get into an orbit, it would have to be moving at quite a high speed laterally to get into orbit.