Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
Inactive Account

I need some help, WB/Exposure?

I hope this is the correct section to post this..

Hey there, I am currently needing to take pics of mixed drinks, and lots of them. I have made a 'lightbox' of my own, that works great..but I can't get the exposure/WB correct to save my life. I am using a Pentax ist DS, and for lighting i'm using two 500w lights. The pictures come out great, but the drink isn't as crisp as I'd like, and the worse problem of all is the background not being white.

If I posted a few pictures of what I took, along with all the setting information, would someone be able to help me figure this out? I'm really desperate right now, lol. Thanks in advance

-Nathan

07-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I wish you had posted more details about your lightbox. Absent that, here is the best I can offer. When photographing an object against a background, the most common way to avoid dull, darker, backgrounds is to ensure the same amount of light or more (with small objects, more often preferred) is striking the background as that reaching your subject.

With small objects, the most common way to accomplish that is to use a transparent background lit with light from behind. This background can be thin cloth, the back of your lightbox (if it is the background and the back is translucent), or a piece of translucent plexiglass (a light table - look it up). If done properly, this method will also help your subject "pop" from the background.

Of course, if you're getting color tints, make sure your background is truly white. Our eyes are very good at correcting minor differences in shading and color tints, all of which can show up when photographed.

Another method is to light the front of your background separately, but this is often very hard to do with small objects since some light is sure to hit your subject and/or cause unwanted reflections.

Hope that helps.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 07-10-2007 at 09:17 PM. Reason: clarification and spelling
07-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In terms of setting white balance, I have made a similar comment elsewhere, which works if you have a K10D

Take a photo of your subject:

Press the function button, and select white balance. You will see a preview of the image you just took, along with the menu icons for white balance adjustment

As you adjust the white balance, the white balance in your preview changes to match your settings.

I'm sure this will get you the results you want