Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
each brand has their advantages and disadvantages. Pentax may not be as popular as the others right now, but there is no telling in 10 years. The brand is NOT going away, period. It's like Apple in the 1990s... there is no telling who end up on top in 10 years.

03-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #32
Veteran Member

What, me Apple?

Sorry, I don't see parallels between Pentax and Apple, nor Nissan, nor Guinness, nor any other brand. I see a pioneering (and formerly leading) camera/lens firm that has survived where many other brands failed. I see a firm that, under new management, is making some very interesting moves and products. Absent some unforeseeable circumstances (meteor strike, etc) Pentax ain't going away.

One thing to keep in mind is that none of the most prominent brands are primarily dSLR makers, and their camera divisions are mostly small components of larger corporate structures. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of revenues from P&S, dSLR, surveillance, medical and other imaging, copiers, chipmaking, consumer and other electronics etc for the major brands, vs each conglomerate's total revenues. We need somebody to count those beans. Any volunteers?
03-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fotopentax Quote
Its back in for repairs but the pentax clan at CR KENNEDY say its the quality of the battery thats the issue but was never an issue prior to the main pc board being replaced.
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc: because A happened before B, A caused B. Oldest logical fallacy in the book. I see no reason to even *suspect* that Pentax is wrong about this. Batteries go bad with time. Yours just happened to go bad within a month of when the camera was in the shop. And as the many threads on AA batteries should make clear, there are quite a number of AA cells that works very well with DSLR's - quite a few brnads of low-self-discharge "hybrid" NiMH cells, the new NiZn cells, Energizer Lithium, etc. These are no harder to obtain than the proprietary cells used by other cameras. Use whatever came you like, but assuming Pentax is bad because you had a problem using old batteries makes no sense,
03-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #34

Pentax

I have never dropped the camera. As far as bad karma i dont believe in that side of superstition. I was Pentax avid and even though my K1000 was faulty I still managed to get the the KM 2000 after that situation so if thats bad Karma then to hell with that ideology. You may be lucky with yours but pentax is not up to par with Nikon. I own one of these also together with other digital cameras and they perform excellent. Pentax is bad karma full stop if your an Indian believing that sort of thing. I think Pentax is made in Vietnam not India so has to be Buddism.

03-26-2010, 03:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was a real avid Pentax person but no longer.
Now in 2009 I decided to go digital slr and so bought a Pentax because I have 12 Pentax lenses that can likewise be used with it.
Looking forward to seeing your name in the marketplace soon.

BTW it is 2010. Yes it happened about three months ago and was reported in all the internets.
03-26-2010, 04:02 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stay well clear of Pentax. I was a real avid Pentax person but no longer. I own a K1000 film camera that I bought to do graphic design many years ago. From new it had a faulty light meter and coil. Now in 2009 I decided to go digital slr and so bought a Pentax because I have 12 Pentax lenses that can likewise be used with it. 10 months on the Km Digital had to have the main pc board replaced. After that 1 month down the track the thing discharges the battery NMHI in two days without use. Its back in for repairs but the pentax clan at CR KENNEDY say its the quality of the battery thats the issue but was never an issue prior to the main pc board being replaced. I used these batteries before the repair and cant recall this happening. The service guy says that GB batteries are the ones they use to test the camera. They are unavailable or are hard to find for me to use. WTF>>>> I bought the camera for the convenience of AA batteries but as it turns out it works best with a battery you cant easily get. The specifications does not indicate any "special" brand to be used. So be very careful with pentax cameras. I will stay well clear from this rubbish and warn you to stick with Canon or Nikon.
Im getting rid of Pentax and going to get a Nikon or Canon. Pentax in my book is a waste of valuable money. Be warned! It can happen to you! I thought Pentax was top notch but not any more.
Wow. I think I'm going to e mail this story to all my friends and claim that it was my wife's cousin's brother's uncle who told it to me. This is awesome! I need to protect those I love...