Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
:d :d :d
@Rustynail, some nice gear - , I am waiting to get my K-7 to go with my DA* and FA limited lens. My K10D and K100D still going strong - mind you warranty has expired on both already; also did get a final checkup before the warranty expired (an advantage for those living closer to the Pentax repair center).

I read the article about how K-7 body was crafted by the Japanese designer, and that was what impressed me most. As an amateur hobbyist, I would like to use this camera all the time (traveling included) and not just in formal occasions, I don't want to carry two sets. The smaller body makes more sense to me - added to that the WR feature, which makes it even more appealing. I have heard from people who said he didn't want to lug around the D300 or 5D for the trip - I know what they meant.

As many have suggested, what's good for me does not mean that it is also good for you - go with whatever meets your requirement, then you will enjoy photography more, not just your gear (as many of them are merely camera owners).

Last edited by aleonx3; 03-20-2010 at 12:56 PM.
03-22-2010, 05:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thats not my gear aleonx3..
I agree with you its nice to have a light gear that you can carry anywhere you go thats why im searching for primes that would compliment each and can take with you anywhere without too much weight..
I hope pentax will release something similar to the NX10. or maybe a bit smaller and lighter than Kx..
03-22-2010, 05:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

As far as I know, Canon 50D isn't the best among Canon xxD cameras, some even consider the 40D is better than the 50D.

If I were you, I'd either get the Canon 7D or Pentax K-7. There are pros and cons for both cameras, but I'd choose K-7 anytime because of its much smaller size, weather seal, in-body Shake Reduction ...
03-22-2010, 06:15 AM   #19

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
Pentax may not have as many lenses as Canon but there are other brands like Sigma & Tamron etc that have some nice glass. In an earlier post it was mentioned that Canon has some amazing lenses that Pentax will never have, well, we don't know that, Pentax/Hoya may just decide to step it up a bit and surprise us all. Maybe one day they will.
I have been a happy K20D user for nearly 2 years and am very happy, never had a problem at all.

03-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozzi-paul Quote
In an earlier post it was mentioned that Canon has some amazing lenses that Pentax will never have, well, we don't know that, Pentax/Hoya may just decide to step it up a bit and surprise us all. Maybe one day they will.
Furthermore, it's equally true to say that Pentax has some amazing lenses that Canon never will.
03-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #21

Original Poster
Photoholic took the plung...

Thanks everyone. Good discussions and points made by all. B&H will be shipping the K7, 16-50 DA* f2.8 (listed as in stock now), 8MB card by the end of this month. I guess this thread should be closed. Anyone know how to end a thread?? Or does it just die in cyberspace when everyone is bored with it?
03-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoholic Quote
Thanks everyone. Good discussions and points made by all. B&H will be shipping the K7, 16-50 DA* f2.8 (listed as in stock now), 8MB card by the end of this month.
That will be an amazing start. Anything you can't do with that you likely just can't do. Take time and enjoy it, shoot lots, and share your progress here.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoholic Quote
Or does it just die in cyberspace when everyone is bored with it?
Yep. Because you never know when someone needs a necrothread fix!

03-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #23

Found this magazine at Costco and Barnes & Noble, for $30.00!!!. Cover says "Your Digital SLR Camera" nope I didn't buy it. It is a British magazine.
Attached Images

03-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #24

Stay well clear of Pentax. I was a real avid Pentax person but no longer. I own a K1000 film camera that I bought to do graphic design many years ago. From new it had a faulty light meter and coil. Now in 2009 I decided to go digital slr and so bought a Pentax because I have 12 Pentax lenses that can likewise be used with it. 10 months on the Km Digital had to have the main pc board replaced. After that 1 month down the track the thing discharges the battery NMHI in two days without use. Its back in for repairs but the pentax clan at CR KENNEDY say its the quality of the battery thats the issue but was never an issue prior to the main pc board being replaced. I used these batteries before the repair and cant recall this happening. The service guy says that GB batteries are the ones they use to test the camera. They are unavailable or are hard to find for me to use. WTF>>>> I bought the camera for the convenience of AA batteries but as it turns out it works best with a battery you cant easily get. The specifications does not indicate any "special" brand to be used. So be very careful with pentax cameras. I will stay well clear from this rubbish and warn you to stick with Canon or Nikon.
Im getting rid of Pentax and going to get a Nikon or Canon. Pentax in my book is a waste of valuable money. Be warned! It can happen to you! I thought Pentax was top notch but not any more.
03-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fotopentax Quote
Stay well clear of Pentax. I was a real avid Pentax person but no longer. I own a K1000 film camera that I bought to do graphic design many years ago. From new it had a faulty light meter and coil. Now in 2009 I decided to go digital slr and so bought a Pentax because I have 12 Pentax lenses that can likewise be used with it. 10 months on the Km Digital had to have the main pc board replaced. After that 1 month down the track the thing discharges the battery NMHI in two days without use. Its back in for repairs but the pentax clan at CR KENNEDY say its the quality of the battery thats the issue but was never an issue prior to the main pc board being replaced. I used these batteries before the repair and cant recall this happening. The service guy says that GB batteries are the ones they use to test the camera. They are unavailable or are hard to find for me to use. WTF>>>> I bought the camera for the convenience of AA batteries but as it turns out it works best with a battery you cant easily get. The specifications does not indicate any "special" brand to be used. So be very careful with pentax cameras. I will stay well clear from this rubbish and warn you to stick with Canon or Nikon.
Im getting rid of Pentax and going to get a Nikon or Canon. Pentax in my book is a waste of valuable money. Be warned! It can happen to you! I thought Pentax was top notch but not any more.
So did you just join this forum to post the above or? :ugh:
03-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Something very smelly here... like a troll... nice story though
03-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #27
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With experience only with a K-m, fotopentax already shows that he/she has less credibility than most active people on this forum. I'm not the only one who has gone through numerous generations of Pentax dSLRs, each one performing to comparable levels to their competitors. If there is even one pro shooting Pentax, that's enough of a testimony that the cameras are up to the task...
03-24-2010, 02:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I'll try to convince nobody. Like I said earlier, check out the user reviews of comparable cameras at DpReview.Com and analyze the ratings, and the complaints.
03-24-2010, 05:09 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was a real avid Pentax person but no longer.
I am very sorry you had such a bad experience, but you must realise this can happen with any product, with any brand. There are Leica cameras that fail after three uses and Canon lenses that fall apart after use.

But joining a board just to post negativity shows that you have no perspective. Certainly the hundreds of thousands of people who have experiences different to you must tell you something?
03-24-2010, 06:18 AM   #30
Ira
Inactive Account

Wow--it must suck to be you!

There are are thousands of us here who've only had good experiences.

Bad karma, maybe? Or perhaps you dropped your camera in the bathtub and just won't admit it?