Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #1

Help using Speedotron strobes on K-x

Hello all. I just got the K-x and have read the book and played around with the cam a bit. Im trying to use my old Speedotron Brown Line power pack and 3 strobes to make great product pictures in my shop. I added a Nikon hotshoe (too big, it wont let the built in flash pop up) and connecting direct to power pack via a Wien voltage regulator. So far, flash in retracted position, wont fire the strobes. (I have to try this with the flash popped up, I know) However I dont want to use the built n flash, I just want to fire my strobes.

I set the shutter to 1/160 or less. checked settings, nothing triggers the hotshoe. I then tried a peanut slave optical sync on the power pack and it does fire the strobes, but it makes the image darker. (Same as with my point/shoot cam I tried before this K-x) The timing must be way off.

The user manual pushes one to use the Pentax external flash units, wireless and all but I prefer my old strobes as I have some rather large TV and wi-fi antennas to shoot. (Although most other things wil be smaller)

The local camera stores are pushing Nikon so much its hard to grab thier attention for help on a Pentax. Can any experts out there tell me what I need to do?

03-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you in full manual mode or in x-sync mode on the K-x dial?
If you're going through a wein safe-sync and connecting directly to it from the camera's sync port (I didn't realize the K-x had a sync port), it should be fine.
I've run my K10D and K20D on speedo packs w/ wireless fleabay triggers w/o problems...
03-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Try reversing the polarity of the sync cord.
03-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Have you tried placing the Wein SafeSync both ways, so with the sync contact facing forwards and backwards? On my k10/k-x it only works one-way, although the SafeSync looks
symmetrical.

When you push the button on the SafeSync, does it trigger the flashes?

If it does, then when you remove the SafeSync from the camera and short circuit the the housing of the SafeSync with the bottom contact with a wire (this simulates closing the hotshoe contact), does it trigger?

I suspect its just a bad contact between the SafeSync and the K-X.

03-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
Problem solved! Thanks for the input from all responders. The hotshoe is active even with the built in flash down/off. There was no polarization (wide narrow pins) on the old Speedo and I had cable reversed. The hotshoe is active at 1/160 and slower as the book said. Now its just a matter of relearning to make good SLR pics.
BTW, I dont think there is an x-sync mode on the K-x.