Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K7- Buy Two ?

I posted this in another (cough) forum as well, some of you might see it there too.

Over the last 4 years I've tried many different DSLRS, and by far the K7 is the best of the bunch for the applications I need most. There have been some DSLRS that have dropped my jaw too (A900 for example) yet, none have given me that 'completed design' feeling like the K7.

Canon and Nikon make great rivals for the K7 in the 7D and D300s, but I wanted smaller and more descreet for several reasons. All 3 are really excellent cameras, and in my mind are the best of the enthusiast lot for the last several YEARS.

Yet, the K7 with its price, build, and feature set is simply mindblowing to me. Enough that I'll be setting up a second body at some point as well.

Still preparing a rather large article on the K7 I intend to publish at some point here soon, if anything, it's my attempt at a thank you for such a fine instrument.

I suppose you can find faults in it, all cameras have them... yet they are few and performance wise it hangs with the best of the best (unless you argue fractions all day long instead of shoot with it), and in some ways does things other cameras can't do.

Completely and totally impressed with this camera. I'd say buy two of them if you can, if anything to send a signal to Pentax that we as photographers appreciate what they have done- and support that philosophy with 'green'.

I like to see a small company like Pentax gaining ground- its good for the entire industry as well.

Can't wait to publish my article!

Carl

p.s. (addendum) Some here may know that I've owned the K20D - and liked it quite a bit too. However, there were a few items that were added or improved in the K7 especially that I particularly appreciated and desired (which may not be of big value to K20D owners at all).

To me, the K7 is what I wanted in the K20D, but much more than that, it turns out to be what I wanted as a "complete" dslr. So instead of filling a specific niche that the K7 was intended for as a buy, it's now taken over much more of the tasks I hadn't intended it too. Probably why I want two of them now.

No punch on the K20d intended at all, the K7 is just more ideal for my requirements.

03-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Can't wait to publish my article!
Please do!

Looking forward to read how it compares to other cameras you probably have tried or used over this time. I haven't had the chance to try it myself.
03-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
Don't wait, if you can afford it.

I need to get home and write all night, the lack of being able to share everything I want to say is killing me.

C
03-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yu go ahead Rush.
We can't get enough K7 reviews from real users, not just from those who dare reviewing it and not having had tried it out "in the field".
Like the others said above: Can't hardly wait.

JP

03-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I recently purchased a K7. Price had just hit the level where I felt I could afford it, after I used some Amazon coupons I had saved up. Anyway, while the sensor is very similar to the K20, the overall shooting experience is much better. I got the grip with it and it just feels perfect in my hands.

One thing that surprised me was how much I enjoy video on it. Just much better experience than I thought it would be, playing with depth of field, etc.

Looking forward to your review. I think Pentax is on solid footing these days.
03-20-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
Forum Member

I can only agree with you Carl. A couple of days ago I was writing a few thoughts on the K7 to a friend of mine from Dyxum... what was originally supposed to be a short message (just a few lines noting my likes/dislikes) ended up as a terribly long three-part story
I realize I may have even sounded as a Pentax fanboy at times but... I just couldn't help it: there are so many, many good things to say about the K7, especially when comparing it to A700 (I never used an A900)!
Yeah, it has its quirks, any camera does, I guess, but I wouldn't call them 'problems'... they are just 'nuisances' from my point of view; at the end of the day, any shortcomings it may have pale in comparison to the advantages it brings to the table.
Dunno if I'll get a second one, probably wait for the successor, but this is a camera that is going to stay in the house until it dies
Sony should take a good long look at Pentax, IMHO, they would have much to learn from them!

(accompanied by a similar cough, as I had spotted your original post and replied there first, then copied it here )
03-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
It seems to me

Sony only want to cater to easier to please crowds or something. I doubt they will ever be able to match (not that they aren't capable) what the K7 has achieved. If I'm wrong, then it will only be good for the industry as competition- but I'm very skeptical Sony will.

There really isn't much comparison between the two cameras, which is mainly the point of doing the article as you will see.

Carl
03-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Sony only want to cater to easier to please crowds or something. I doubt they will ever be able to match (not that they aren't capable) what the K7 has achieved. If I'm wrong, then it will only be good for the industry as competition- but I'm very skeptical Sony will.

There really isn't much comparison between the two cameras, which is mainly the point of doing the article as you will see.

Carl

I too am looking forward to your article

cheers

Neil