Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2007, 12:05 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I found the so called problem for the night photos. I done all in manual mode (MF, manual WB, the F-numbers and exposure times and surely centered mettering mode). The results are very different. This morning i have some work to do, but with the first occasion, i will post the results and the differences. The images are really great, but using the automatic WB and the predefined Scene Modes could be a pain in the ass.

07-12-2007, 12:54 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Asimilatrixu Quote
The images are really great, but using the automatic WB and the predefined Scene Modes could be a pain in the ass.
If you insist on using the Scene Modes you can still set the K100D to RAW. That will give you the best of both worlds as you can switch between Bright and Normal image tone. You can also use whatever WB you wish. Works only with Pentax Photo Lab.
07-12-2007, 02:52 AM   #18

Original Poster
It is the moment to begin the comparison. First of all, the photos was taken all in RAW mode, using a 18-55 mm lens and a tripod, using center mettering and 2 second timer and manual focus. And then worked with Pentax PhotoLab. I can not attach more files because i am outof the space
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 

Last edited by Asimilatrixu; 07-12-2007 at 03:19 AM.
07-12-2007, 03:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I said before that i will make a short comparison when i'll have the time. Now it is the moment. I tried different posibilities.

First a really close photo made on automatic mode:
Are you sure you're using a tripod, cos it looks as there's some camera shake. Also for a shot like that I would have chose a lower aperture, like f/8 or lower.

So ... secure your camera on a tripod or anything solid (in the photo I posted earlier I used my balcony's borders) set your camera to Av, set the aperture to f/11, press the fn button then set 2s timer. Confirm auto focus (just set it to center af) and press the shutter. Let the camera do it's job.

07-12-2007, 03:21 AM   #20

Original Poster
@Deni: Yup, i am really sure.? That's was the reason in started this discution
07-12-2007, 03:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Asimilatrixu, I think first two pictures demonstrates why Pentax says to turn SR off while using tripod.

According to EXIF info, you shot first two pictures without timer and with SR ON. And probably because of that they are blurred.

The third shot is made with SR OFF and 2 sec. timer.
07-12-2007, 03:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

@Deni: Yup, i am really sure.? That's was the reason in started this discution
Did you add the other 2 photos, cos I don't remember them being there?

The last one looks pretty good to me.

07-12-2007, 06:32 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Kit lens wide open and @ 18mm=not great photo

It looks like a combination of shallow DOF and lens softness from being wide open, not necessarily camera shake/motion blur.

Seriously, the last picture looks the best, because you stopped down a bit (f/8 probably would have been fine too) and you fixed the WB. Glad you're making progress!
07-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #24

Original Poster
@Edvinas: i do not contradict you (human error, concerning my operating mode, possible), but where in the EXIf have you found this informations?
07-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

@Edvinas: i do not contradict you (human error, concerning my operating mode, possible), but where in the EXIf have you found this informations?
I used this excellent piece of software You'll be amazed how much info it gets from EXIF

PhotoME - Exif & IPTC Metadata Editor
07-12-2007, 07:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I usually leave my WB on auto, unless I'm making a pano, and I've never had a problem with night photography.
07-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I usually leave my WB on auto, unless I'm making a pano, and I've never had a problem with night photography.
Even with artificial light? I find the auto wb seriously lacking, especially when compared to my p&s fuji f20.
07-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Yup. I might just be lucky though

The only time that I ever have to adjust it on the computer is while photographing on misty days, and even then I often like the results.
07-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #29

Original Poster
@Edvinas: Excelent program. I didn't know of its existance. That's why the experience of many people is greater than the experience of only one. I tried different programs to read exif's but that is the most complete i saw. I will verify the photos and i'll make the changes.