Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 low battery performance

Just wondering if any one else has noticed a couple of things at low battery on the K7.

I deliberately ran the battery down until the indicator showed the battery was dead (i.e. outline with no bars showing partial charge)

While the camera still continued to shoot, when reviewing photos, the zoom behavior became eratic, once you t8urn the rear wheel to zoom, it would zoom to maximum magnification without any further input.

Also EV compensation was behaving strangely.

Then I put in my spare battery, only to discover the camera would not turn on at all.

When I got back to my hotel, I put the spare battery (which was fully charged before I left) back on the charger, and it showed fullcharge within about 10 minutes,

Installing this into the camera, everything worked fine/

I am not sure the two issues are related but this is the first odd performance I have noticed.

I am using V1.03 of the firmware.

03-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I am not surprised that this is the case. If you run the battery flat you are dropping the voltage available to the electronics. That is going to cause unusual behavior when it reaches a certain critical level. I am guessing also that it confuses the battery memory function within the camera.
03-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Thank you for sharing your experience of low battery with the K-7. Useful. I certainly do not want to run out of battery, but there is always the odd situation...
03-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
I am not surprised that this is the case. If you run the battery flat you are dropping the voltage available to the electronics. That is going to cause unusual behavior when it reaches a certain critical level. I am guessing also that it confuses the battery memory function within the camera.
What suprizes me is that the shutdown point is after the ability of the electronics

03-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
What suprizes me is that the shutdown point is after the ability of the electronics
Could be a firmware issue.
Imho should that never happen to any battery driven equipment.
03-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Will try it with my K7 just to see the outcome. I usually change over well before that stage. You are right though I would have thought the shutdown voltage should be above a state where it causes problems.