Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What would be your choice for a second body if you have a K-7?
Wait for the next top of the line Pentax body 1320.63%
Another K-7 914.29%
K-7 Limited (It's only money right?) 46.35%
K-x 2641.27%
K2000 / K-m   00%
K20D 812.70%
K100D Super   00%
K10D 34.76%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Second body choice if you have a K-7

If you've already got a K-7 what would your choice be for a second body?

03-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depends on the purpose. As a backup? Probably another K-7 or a K20D. As an alternative? Probably a K-x (I've strongly considered this so my wife and I can shoot together). As a cheaper alternative that could get damaged? Probably a point and shoot (I use my Canon S3 IS for his).
03-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Get one with a different color ... sorry, wish the K-7 also comes with different color scheme as well, or better yet wait for the next upgrade and make the K-7 as the second body.
03-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
sorry, wish the K-7 also comes with different color scheme as well
But it does! There's that new K-7 Limited Edition that was just announced recently, although I have a feeling it'll be a Japan-only thing.

03-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Probably a K-x (I've strongly considered this so my wife and I can shoot together).
Funny you should say that. This is exactly why we're considering it.
03-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cgoudie Quote
Funny you should say that. This is exactly why we're considering it.
It seems like a great match. It's relatively inexpensive, it's light, and it uses all the same lenses we already own. We could go on an outing with just 4 lenses and have everything we each need. I prefer my K-7 with a battery grip attached, but that's a bit much for my wife to handle, so a K-x would be perfect. And since my wife isn't as avid a hobbyist as I am, the few limitations of the K-x wouldn't bother her. Besides, I might appreciate the low-light performance of the K-x in many situations.
03-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

But it does! There's that new K-7 Limited Edition that was just announced recently, although I have a feeling it'll be a Japan-only thing.
Good idea, Frank, didn't think about that... but if they have a blue K-7 at the same price or even slightly more, that will be cool (I will snap it up).

It seems like a great match. It's relatively inexpensive, it's light, and it uses all the same lenses we already own. We could go on an outing with just 4 lenses and have everything we each need. I prefer my K-7 with a battery grip attached, but that's a bit much for my wife to handle, so a K-x would be perfect. And since my wife isn't as avid a hobbyist as I am, the few limitations of the K-x wouldn't bother her. Besides, I might appreciate the low-light performance of the K-x in many situations.
Frank, if you are going for the K-x, make sure it is a different color though, they are the same price (from Prodigitial2000), also, you don't even have to pay PST from where you are...

03-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Depends on the purpose. As a backup? Probably another K-7 or a K20D. As an alternative? Probably a K-x (I've strongly considered this so my wife and I can shoot together). As a cheaper alternative that could get damaged? Probably a point and shoot (I use my Canon S3 IS for his).
I've got a K20d. My wife has the K-x. We share the Limited Primes on our trips. And if I'm on an assignment, I'll often have the DA* 50-135 on the K20d and the DA* 16-50 on the K-x. It works great!
03-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-7. My second body is a 5D Mk II :-)
03-21-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How different are the menus and features between the K-7 and the K-x?
03-21-2010, 03:39 AM   #11
Forum Member

I have a K-x as a second body. the menus are quite similar. Of course the K-7 has more settings and options but in general the menu is quite similar. What strikes me most is that the layout of the buttons is different which sometimes causes me too look twice to see where they are.

Not a big deal. The K-x I mainly use if high ISO becomes more important.
03-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cgoudie Quote
How different are the menus and features between the K-7 and the K-x?
That one's easy to see for yourself. Go read the K-x manual

http://www.pentaximaging.com/images/temp/63399407595779261272600manual_k-x_en_official.pdf

You can also compare the K-7 and K-x reviews on dpreview.com since they compare the full menu hierarchy. Note that their Custom Function menu listing for the K-x is screwed up, it looks like they copy/pasted the listing from the K-7 review and then messed up the editing.

If you've gotten real good with your K-7, there are some noticeable differences. For example, ISO is set using one of the 4-way buttons, there's no "ISO" button on the camera. And the fact that there's only one command dial means switching aperture and shutter speeds might require holding down some button depending on what mode you're in. Also, the Custom Function menu is a lot more limited, like 24 items instead of almost 40. The K-x is definitely not as configurable as the K-7. It's definitely aimed more at the consumer and casual hobbyist rather than a serious hobbyist or professional. But in the end, I think it would still make for a fantastic second body.
03-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #13
Site Supporter

*istD/DS/DS2 to use as a backup and for ttl with mf lenses and macro use.
03-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's interesting. In the beginning the K-7 and K-x were in a dead heat. Now the K-x has overtaken the K-7 2:1.
03-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I wanted a budget camera as K7 backup so i picked up a K10D. When the K7 went in for repair, the K10D was making me money for 6 weeks. The logical choice to me is the camera that will do the job with the least expenditure, is weather sealed and produces great images up to 800 iso.