Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Red stripe across frame why?

Went to our local hockey tournament today just to try out the KX shooting sports. On about 50% of shots there is a red stripe across part of the frame. The position varies from frame to frame.

I tried all sorts of the WB including florescent, no difference. Took the camera outside and the red disappeared form those shots. Is this a strobe effect from the lighting? I tried all shutter speeds from 140th to 5000th same effect so a strobe effect seems unlikely.

Anyone else ever had this?

Last edited by telfish; 01-30-2011 at 10:19 AM.
03-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It's caused by flicker in the lights. Shoot at a lower shutter speed.
03-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's caused by flicker in the lights. Shoot at a lower shutter speed.
That's what I thought, problem is i went down to 140th and it was still there, any lower and I loose stop motion.
03-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
That's what I thought, problem is i went down to 140th and it was still there, any lower and I loose stop motion.
The lights cycle at 60Hz. You'd need to shoot at 1/60th or slower.

03-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
The lights cycle at 60Hz. You'd need to shoot at 1/60th or slower.
Is that true of all stadium lighting? If so how do I get sharp shots where I wish to stop the motion rather than have motion blur?
03-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #6

lol

i found my camera will leave a red line across the centre of the frame when i shoot with my wide angle only, when i shoot the players faces i don't get it... maybe shoot from centre ice towards the net!

=)'
03-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Is that true of all stadium lighting? If so how do I get sharp shots where I wish to stop the motion rather than have motion blur?
As long as they are using single phase power, yes (in the US, other countries have different power frequencies, notably the UK with 50Hz, you can see it if you've ever watched a PAL TV).

I've never seen a red area like that on my shots in a stadium, I only ever got a color cast as the lights cycle.

03-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
As long as they are using single phase power, yes (in the US, other countries have different power frequencies, notably the UK with 50Hz, you can see it if you've ever watched a PAL TV).

I've never seen a red area like that on my shots in a stadium, I only ever got a color cast as the lights cycle.
It is a bit weird. Other people have told me that they have problems at that stadium. I will take my K7 there tomorrow and see if that behaves the same. Thanks for your input.