Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 407
Red stripe across frame why?

Went to our local hockey tournament today just to try out the KX shooting sports. On about 50% of shots there is a red stripe across part of the frame. The position varies from frame to frame.

I tried all sorts of the WB including florescent, no difference. Took the camera outside and the red disappeared form those shots. Is this a strobe effect from the lighting? I tried all shutter speeds from 140th to 5000th same effect so a strobe effect seems unlikely.

Anyone else ever had this?


Last edited by telfish; 01-30-2011 at 10:19 AM.
03-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
It's caused by flicker in the lights. Shoot at a lower shutter speed.
03-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 407
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's caused by flicker in the lights. Shoot at a lower shutter speed.
That's what I thought, problem is i went down to 140th and it was still there, any lower and I loose stop motion.
03-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
That's what I thought, problem is i went down to 140th and it was still there, any lower and I loose stop motion.
The lights cycle at 60Hz. You'd need to shoot at 1/60th or slower.

03-20-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 407
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
The lights cycle at 60Hz. You'd need to shoot at 1/60th or slower.
Is that true of all stadium lighting? If so how do I get sharp shots where I wish to stop the motion rather than have motion blur?
03-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Thunder Bay
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 184
lol

i found my camera will leave a red line across the centre of the frame when i shoot with my wide angle only, when i shoot the players faces i don't get it... maybe shoot from centre ice towards the net!

=)'
03-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Is that true of all stadium lighting? If so how do I get sharp shots where I wish to stop the motion rather than have motion blur?
As long as they are using single phase power, yes (in the US, other countries have different power frequencies, notably the UK with 50Hz, you can see it if you've ever watched a PAL TV).

I've never seen a red area like that on my shots in a stadium, I only ever got a color cast as the lights cycle.
03-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 407
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
As long as they are using single phase power, yes (in the US, other countries have different power frequencies, notably the UK with 50Hz, you can see it if you've ever watched a PAL TV).

I've never seen a red area like that on my shots in a stadium, I only ever got a color cast as the lights cycle.
It is a bit weird. Other people have told me that they have problems at that stadium. I will take my K7 there tomorrow and see if that behaves the same. Thanks for your input.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, effect, frame, photography, shots, stripe, strobe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Grey stripe on a green fence. eaglem Post Your Photos! 2 07-17-2010 07:01 AM
Macro Big Grey Stripe eaglem Post Your Photos! 6 06-27-2010 07:04 AM
Macro Stripe on Petal shooz Photo Critique 2 02-16-2010 10:55 PM
Stripe on K20D images offertonhatter Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 04-03-2009 06:16 PM
Bees... black stripe or yellow stripe? YJD Post Your Photos! 7 09-08-2008 01:11 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top