Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Renmanova Quote
it started at 001? oh my, my started at at least 400!!!!

either way, thanks for all the input guys! although,,,, im not a guy
I'm guessing he's talking about the file numbering starting at 0001, not the EXIF shutter count. All cameras come from the factory with a number of test shots, which does vary but is generally at *least* a couple of hundred, and frequently over 500. My brand new K-7 had 600 actuations from the factory.

See here for example:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/72331-photome-s...new-k-7-a.html

03-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #32

Wow... I stand corrected... I guess at the factory they didn't reset the filenames for the first camera I had...
03-22-2010, 02:38 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Yes, it is far more likely that someone bought the camera just to switch the $1 shoe cap and then returned it.
No.

It is far more likely that someone bought the camera, removed the cap, decided to return the camera, and either couldn't find the Pentax cap or just didn't notice that they had placed a different cap on it.

Do you have some evidence that both Pentax and Nikon source their caps from the same supplier?

But cling to your far-fetched notion if it gives you some comfort.
03-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
It is far more likely that someone bought the camera, removed the cap, decided to return the camera, and either couldn't find the Pentax cap or just didn't notice that they had placed a different cap on it.
Concur. This is the most likely scenario.

Add to that a higher than average shutter count, the mount scratches and the defective condition of the camera, and I'm not at all adverse to saying that they palmed a return off as "new."

That's one less vendor I'll be dealing with for the next major purchase...

To the OP: An update on how this issue is finally resolved (or not) will be a service... please do follow up and let us know the final result.

woof

03-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woof, this is NOT in any way to defend the seller. Our generous return policy/system (no question ask with no penalty) allows this to happen. This could happen to any retailer (brick-and-mortor camera shop as well), if they don't inspect carefully the returned good before restocking the item as "new". See my earlier post as an example. I applaud those seller who list the item as "returned or opened" rather than "new" once it is returned.
03-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Woof, this is NOT in any way to defend the seller. Our generous return policy/system (no question ask with no penalty) allows this to happen. This could happen to any retailer (brick-and-mortor camera shop as well), if they don't inspect carefully the returned good before restocking the item as "new". See my earlier post as an example. I applaud those seller who list the item as "returned or opened" rather than "new" once it is returned.
True. I recently purchased a few haze filters from Adorama. On one, the glass was scratched, and there were greasy fingerprints all over it. The others were fine. I've purchased a fair amount from Adorama, and this is the first time this has happened.

I only have one experience with Prodigital, but I got some feedback from forum members before purchasing. Most said the company was fine, but occasionally there are problems, and you have to work with them, but they'll make it right. Fortunately I received my DA70 in pristine, brand new condition, and it was packed very well.

I do hope the OP gets a truly brand new camera (or a full refund), but I don't get the impression Prodigital was attempting anything nefarious.
03-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #37
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for all the reply everyone! i never had to return an item bought on ebay so this is very new to me.

i filed a dispute with the seller on paypal, and also ebay messaged him regarding the issue. he got back to me on ebay, this is his message:

"Please package the item securely using a shipping box so as not to ruin the product box. Please use the following shipping method to ship your item back to us:

Canada Post Regular Parcel

You must send the package back with the shipping label paperwork marked "DEFECTIVE CANADIAN GOODS RETURNING". It is very important that the value of the package be declared for "$10.00 CAD". Please follow these instructions carefully as it is the only way to ensure that we receive the return. If you do not follow the instructions as outlined above the package will be refused on first delivery attempt and automatically returned to you.

Our shipping address is:

Please include a note detailing the issue with your item. If you have any questions please feel free to respond to this message before shipping the parcel to us.

Thanks,
"

Would it be more legit if he solved the dispute on paypal??? (I asked for 100% refund) Also, should I ask for RMA # as another poster suggested? Do I get the signature option with the mail?

Thanks again!!!
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i think prodigital2000 is still a reputable seller, they were very helpful and quick to respond on ebay. but im not happy with the purchase

03-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Would it be more legit if he solved the dispute on paypal??? (I asked for 100% refund) Also, should I ask for RMA # as another poster suggested? Do I get the signature option with the mail?
Actually it's more "legit" (as you say) if the buyer and seller work out their disputes outside of Ebay or PayPal. That said, if you have a seller who ignores your requests to resolve a problem, sometimes a PayPal dispute is the best thing, because (at least in my case of a problem purchase), PayPal held the funds, which definitely lit a fire under the otherwise uncooperative seller. (Not Prodigital, BTW.)

Ebay and PayPal only issue final decisions if the involved parties (buyer & seller) can't or won't work things out. I generally contact the seller, and if things seem to be going downhill, then I file a PayPal dispute.

Before sellers will issue a refund, they want the item returned first. Not all vendors use RMA numbers, such as Adorama. You just mail your return and cross your fingers, if you don't insure it.

Doesn't Prodigital post a phone number somewhere? You might get better results (and answers to your questions) if you call them.
03-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Concur. This is the most likely scenario.

Add to that a higher than average shutter count, the mount scratches and the defective condition of the camera, and I'm not at all adverse to saying that they palmed a return off as "new."
While I wholeheartedly agree this appears to be either a second-hand or store demo camera, I would dispute the shutter count being higher than average. The camera apparently had somewhere around 500 actuations as received according to the OP. As I've noted earlier in the thread, it's not unusual to have over 500 actuations on a new camera. My own K-7 had around 600 actuations, and was unquestionably a brand new item, and plenty of other folks have reported a similar number of actuations.

My guess is it's either a store demo and the cover got misplaced, or more likely it's a refurb that was returned after the original purchaser took a handful of shots and either felt they discovered an issue, or just contracted a case of buyer's remorse. (The fact it was a Nikon cap suggests they own Nikon gear - maybe they were considering switching brands and then changed their mind).
03-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #41
Veteran Member

1-866-227-6267

Give them a call. I've always called first to confirm they have stock before buying, once they did. Once they didn't have the lens but was expecting it; I held off buying.

I found they were really helpful on the phone (it's a little camera store in small town Ontario.)
03-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #42
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by basso4735 Quote
I would file a dispute against the seller.
I would file a dispute against him for posting those photos:

Why in God's name would you post these HUGE pictures to show detail in that itty bitty part of them?

My guess is the camera is fine, it's no big deal, and any motion/blur problem you're having is caused by you. My camera was mint, and it's STILL a skill to use it right.

The fact that you said your point and shoot does better pictures also speaks volumes. That's simply impossible for anyone who knows the least bit of what he's doing on a DSLR.

You're talking about making a mountain out of a molehill here. You're still covered by Pentax warranty/
03-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I would file a dispute against him for posting those photos:

Why in God's name would you post these HUGE pictures to show detail in that itty bitty part of them?

My guess is the camera is fine, it's no big deal, and any motion/blur problem you're having is caused by you. My camera was mint, and it's STILL a skill to use it right.

The fact that you said your point and shoot does better pictures also speaks volumes. That's simply impossible for anyone who knows the least bit of what he's doing on a DSLR.

You're talking about making a mountain out of a molehill here. You're still covered by Pentax warranty/
1. i am not him
2. i am here asking for help. i never returned anything i bought on ebay and this is new to me. since it is my first dslr, i used it for a week before deciding that the problem is not with ME. i was not biased.
3. there are known issues with the camera, have you taken blurry photos at 1/125? no, i dont have parkinson's
03-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #44
Veteran Member

3. there are known issues with the camera, have you taken blurry photos at 1/125? no, i dont have parkinson's
I've not looked at the blurred pics, but two thoughts. One, bear in mind that shutter speed isn't the only variable; focal length is important too.

Perhaps more importantly though, are you waiting for the anti-shake system to become active before you take the picture?
03-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #45
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
I've not looked at the blurred pics, but two thoughts. One, bear in mind that shutter speed isn't the only variable; focal length is important too.

Perhaps more importantly though, are you waiting for the anti-shake system to become active before you take the picture?
the focal length was at 22mm

yes, i waited for the green light on anti shake