Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Inactive Account

k-x: hotshoe cover = nikon?

um, seems a bit strange: new pentax k-x camera, took the hot shoe cover off and the back of it says "nikon". also the hot shoe cover doesnt "fit" as neatly into the shoe as it could compared to pictures found online. it seems to be a bit longer than what's shown in picture models...

is this normal? thanks!

03-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #2

Just took mine off for the first time, it says 'Pentax'. Sounds like somebody lost yours and replaced it with what was lying aroung the shop...
03-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
damn, i bought it new off prodigital2000 on ebay... should i be worried that there are other parts of the camera that might be messed?

should i report to the seller? recommendations?
03-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only reason I can think of for the box having been opened (and the cover switched) is when a customer opened the box.

This sounds like it is a camera that has been sent out to one customer and then returned, with the first customer having placed the Nikon hotshoe cover on the camera.

I would return it and raise all sorts of hell with the seller for trying to perpetrate a fraud on me.

03-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
should i talk with the seller first, or open a paypal dispute?

i already given a positive rating for the camera.

i bought it on march 7....

really disappointed
03-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Renmanova Quote
should i talk with the seller first, or open a paypal dispute?

i already given a positive rating for the camera.

i bought it on march 7....

really disappointed
I recommend that you communicate with them first. There is a good chance that they don't even know about it - especially if it is an "open box demo" item. That is one of the reasons I stay away from "open-box" items. Even though it may be a small thing, but there is no guarantee that there are no more problems - the original battery may be swapped etc. Even though you give they good rating, it does not mean you can not launch dispute if there is further problems. I know it is a bit downer especially when you are excited about the new toy - but you just have to take the proper step, may be it is not so bad after you talk to them.
03-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #7

Perhaps the covers are produced by the same manufacture and they dropped a nikon cover into the pentax box.
03-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

maybe you also got a Nikon AF system. You might have won the lottery

03-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
:'( OK guys, IT'S NOT OPEN BOX.

the description says "NEW NEVER OPENED" and he is an authorized seller.
NEW WHITE PENTAX K-x 12MP DSLR CAMERA w/18-55 LENS KIT on eBay.ca (item 130372191976 end time 11-Mar-10 14:21:00 EST)

the hot shoe I have is the NIKON BS-1 hotshoe that looks like this

and the pentax k-x hot shoe should look like this:

this is unacceptable. someone clearly opened it and changed the cover.

what's the best scenario that i can get out of this? I want to return it but does that mean i have to pay the shipping as well? recommendations?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Check the EXIF from the first pictures you took with it to see how many shutter actuation there were.
03-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hmm, i dont have the first picture but the current shutter count is 532, and i taken less than 100 pictures since i got it...

i guess its not out of the range?
03-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

This isn't very helpful, but...

I would claim that you bought a D300 but when you opened the box you found a Pentax under the hotshoe cover instead. I'd demand that they send you the D300!

03-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You are worrying about this way to much. It is most likely what someone said earlier - the mixup was probably at the factory, Pentax's supplier having accidentally slipped one Nikon shoe cover into a box of 10,000. Just ask the seller for the proper shoe cap and be done with it.
03-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok, i am trying not to make a big deal out of it, but the nikon hotshoe is visibly scratched and dirty when i took it out.

before that on the first day there are scratches on the rim of lens mount as well, i just ignored it.

sorry for digressing... but this camera also has serious blur (motion and general blur) problems. even with a point and shoot i can take a more clearer photo. i attached some photos as follows. i dont think its my hands that's the problem! 100% crop

03-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
You are worrying about this way to much. It is most likely what someone said earlier - the mixup was probably at the factory, Pentax's supplier having accidentally slipped one Nikon shoe cover into a box of 10,000. Just ask the seller for the proper shoe cap and be done with it.
I would place the likelihood of that scenario at about zero out of a possible billion.