Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What to get?

Unfortunately the company that I work for has made me redundant! Fortunately I have found a new and exciting career opportunity to go straight in to. This has left me with a bit of cash on the hip!!

I had set my heart on upgrading my K100D to a K7 and a couple of lenses. My thoughts have centered around the 18-55WR (and maybe the 50-200WR) Kit, plus a Tamron 90mm macro to replace my Micro-Nikkor 55mm and maybe a FA50mm f1.4.

That would be the limit of what I would want to spend. I have been reading reviews and opinions about the K7 and it has made begin to question what I would get out of the K7 – I love my K100D and have found ways to work around its limitations and am fairly happy with it.

The things that attract me to the body upgrade are: weather sealing, Pentaprism viewfinder, sdm compatibility (although there are doubts around the durability of this technology) live view for macro, mirror lock up, higher frame rate shooting plus the higher image quality. I shoot in raw anyway and usually in AP so some of the filters and modes would only be novelties.

I am not a habitual upgrader having only ever had 3 bodies during the 30 years I have been taking photos (An ME Super replaced due to theft by a SH Nikon FA and finally the K100D) so this would be my first upgrade without it being format driven and saving the 800/900 from the body (+kit lenses) I could get a 21mm ltd, the 90mm macro plus a Tammy 70-200mm.

This is my dilemma! Do I want a K7? I’d like one! Will I appreciate what it gives me over the K100D? Well……………………….

Answers on a postcard………………(or via the forum!)

thanks in advance for your thoughts

MZ (with appologies for the length of the question and the waffle!)

03-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Evaluate if you really need the benefits of what attracts you to the K7.
Do you miss pentaprism? Do you miss weather sealing or are you planning to make serious use of it? Do you indeed need higher fps? ...

If not, invest in glass or maybe you should consider a K20D (if you still can get one). It has a number of the 'functionalities' that attract you and it will leave you some money for extra lenses. Just a thought.

Good luck in the decision taking.
03-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If what you have right now isn't broken, why fix it?
03-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
If what you have right now isn't broken, why fix it?
Because, even though the camera is the LEAST important factor in making good photos, sometimes ya JUST GOTTA HAVE IT!!

OP, it seems to me that your body options now are really Kx, K7, or K20. The K20 I got two years ago was my first dSLR, after intermittent decades of film (and no Pentaxen). OP, it seems to me that the FUNDAMENTAL differences between these are: The Kx does video, and gets raves for high-ISO quality. The K7 does video and feels pro. The K20 feels pro. All are weather-sealed. All have many of the same functions, and those that you want. You didn't indicate a desire for the Kx, so we'll skip that now.

When I chose my K20, I'd analyzed price vs performance, and user ratings, for all the comparable bodies from other makers. I chose Pentax because they had lenses that did what I wanted, and the K20 because I thought I'd be happy with it longer than other bodies. I didn't want to feel impelled to upgrade.

SO: The K20 is still a great camera, it has the features you want, and it's a real bargain now. Will you want to shoot video, or use those features the K7 has that the K20 doesn't? If not, then jump for the K20, and buy good glass. Will you be tempted to wait a few months for the (rumoured) K7 upgrade, with a Kx-type sensor and other goodies? That all depends on your patience and desire for such goodies.

If I were choosing a dSLR from scratch right now, I'd probably still go for the K20. I'm no filmmaker; I get good enough video from my P&S. I might be tempted by the Kx's low-light advantage, but there are ways of handling that. And I'll repeat my mantra -- ask yourself: 1) Where am I going? 2) What will get me there? 3) What can I afford that will make me happiest? Good luck!

03-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #5

It sounds like that you've gotten to know your K100D very well. I'd put the $ toward lens, the bodies will always improve, but a good lens will last forever Some may argue, but I don't see the upgrade from K100D to K-7 as tremendous, since you don't seem to care that much for video.
03-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The biggest upgrade in moving to the K7 or K20D might very well be in the ergonomics. The feel of these cameras and dual dial system is simply better than the entry-level cameras.
03-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The biggest upgrade in moving to the K7 or K20D might very well be in the ergonomics. The feel of these cameras and dual dial system is simply better than the entry-level cameras.
I think that that highly depends on how you use the camera. I bought a K10D first and a K100D later. To be honest, the only thing that I really miss in the K100D is the easy access to the spot/center/matrix metering. But OK, I use my cameras mostly in Av mode.
03-23-2010, 04:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
But OK, I use my cameras mostly in Av mode.
Me too, but I have it set so that front dial is Av, back is ISO. This is essential to me. Without two dials I have to change ISO in a clunky way.

One of my big beefs is that there is no easy way to do this in manual mode, eg. front dial shutter, back dial ISO and aperture on lens. That would be the most natural.

03-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
MMmm....

The dual dial system! The main reason that I no longer shoot in manual is because of the need to grope around for the AV button to change the function of the dial.

Small thing maybe couple this and the other features that I like about the K7/20 upgrade option and add the fact that I am never likely to have 1000 to spend on my camera gear in one go (the lenses I like can more easily saved for) has me leaning towards the body at this point.

RioRico - The Kx sounds nice but the lack of focus point in the Viewfinder concerns me as I do use this feature and I like to know if the camera and I are in agreement on what should be in focus.

The body kit with the 2 WR lenses (The weather in Blighty can be more than slightly moist) + the Tamron 90 for macro and portraits are becomming quite attractive at the moment.

Cheers all

MZ
03-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManixZero Quote
RioRico - The Kx sounds nice but the lack of focus point in the Viewfinder concerns me as I do use this feature and I like to know if the camera and I are in agreement on what should be in focus.
I wasn't promoting the Kx, just mentioning what I thought differentiated it from the others. All I know of it is a bit I've read -- and evidently a bit I've misremembered. Yes, focus point is vital. Both my favorite advanced P&S, and the K20, let me set and see their focus point.

QuoteQuote:
The body kit with the 2 WR lenses (The weather in Blighty can be more than slightly moist) + the Tamron 90 for macro and portraits are becomming quite attractive at the moment.
Hopefully I'll have a WR lens when I jump the pond. (My other insists I experience Eire.) But I'm a little fuzzy on... which body kit? K20 or K7? EDIT: Wait, I just re-read your first post. You're going for the K7, right? [/me thumps head, tries to get it to function again]
03-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ManixZero Quote
Unfortunately the company that I work for has made me redundant! Fortunately I have found a new and exciting career opportunity to go straight in to. This has left me with a bit of cash on the hip!!

I had set my heart on upgrading my K100D to a K7 and a couple of lenses. My thoughts have centered around the 18-55WR (and maybe the 50-200WR) Kit, plus a Tamron 90mm macro to replace my Micro-Nikkor 55mm and maybe a FA50mm f1.4.

That would be the limit of what I would want to spend. I have been reading reviews and opinions about the K7 and it has made begin to question what I would get out of the K7 – I love my K100D and have found ways to work around its limitations and am fairly happy with it.

The things that attract me to the body upgrade are: weather sealing, Pentaprism viewfinder, sdm compatibility (although there are doubts around the durability of this technology) live view for macro, mirror lock up, higher frame rate shooting plus the higher image quality. I shoot in raw anyway and usually in AP so some of the filters and modes would only be novelties.

I am not a habitual upgrader having only ever had 3 bodies during the 30 years I have been taking photos (An ME Super replaced due to theft by a SH Nikon FA and finally the K100D) so this would be my first upgrade without it being format driven and saving the 800/900 from the body (+kit lenses) I could get a 21mm ltd, the 90mm macro plus a Tammy 70-200mm.

This is my dilemma! Do I want a K7? I’d like one! Will I appreciate what it gives me over the K100D? Well……………………….

Answers on a postcard………………(or via the forum!)

thanks in advance for your thoughts

MZ (with appologies for the length of the question and the waffle!)
Upgrading to the K-7 is a definitely a step up and nice to have; but you don't have to do that immediately - in fact the longer you wait, the cheaper it will be (in fact if you wait until the K-7 replacement comes out, it is definitely less expensive). Meanwhile, if you put your money into the lens that you want, you will enjoy the use of that now even with the K100D.