Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well, i played around with ISO3200 on my k7 last night and was surprised that the exposure was actually shorter than indicated by my kx.

interstingly enough, the "correct" exposure yielded an image with pronounced noise. so i tried EV+1 (which now matched my kx's exposure) and voila, a much, much cleaner image (jpg straight out of the camera)

i thought that the K7 should expose longer, not shorter as widely documented by others.

i'll post those images tonight.

03-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Hmmm, care to elaborate on that, please ? What do you use for versioning ?
I don't use anything for versioning, I just use UFraw itself. Unfortunately, that means I can only use UFraw's features in a "non-destructive" way (and I use the term very loosely here), things like sharpening aren't available yet. I tend to use UFraw in standalone mode for the most part, not as a Gimp import plugin.

When I'm processing a RAW file with UFraw, on the Save tab, I have "Create ID file" set to "Also". So when I save a resulting image after selecting my settings, UFraw creates a .ufraw file alongside the JPG or TIF file. Opening that .ufraw file opens up UFraw with the same RAW original file and the same settings pre-loaded.

So I can do my basic processing (exposure compensation, white balance, etc.), save it as a pair of jpg+ufraw files (say, image-original.jpg + image-original.ufraw), then open up the .ufraw and continue editing differently. That one I can save as something else (image-saturated.jpg + image-saturated.ufraw). Then I can go back to the first .ufraw file and go in another direction instead (image-grayscale.jpg + image-grayscale.ufraw, or image-cropped.jpg + image-cropped.ufraw). And so on, and so forth. Everytime I save as a new filename, I'm saving a new jpg file, but I'm also saving a new .ufraw file which allows me to step back to that editing stage with a pristine RAW file and all my settings saved. Then I can use a simple image viewer (like Gwenview) to flip through the resulting pictures until I find the one I prefer, open up that picture's .ufraw file, and send it straight to Gimp without having to go through an intermediate file format. There I can do sharpening and stuff.

Sure, it's not elegant like Lightroom, but it works for me. I'd love to propose some simple features on the UFraw mailing list to make this workflow more efficient, but I don't want to add to the dev's burdens right now, I'd rather see the lensfun stuff get ironed out properly (and perhaps some built-in sharpening get added) before I bother them with my silly ideas.
03-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
So I can do my basic processing (exposure compensation, white balance, etc.), save it as a pair of jpg+ufraw files (say, image-original.jpg + image-original.ufraw), then open up the .ufraw and continue editing differently. That one I can save as something else (image-saturated.jpg + image-saturated.ufraw).
Gotcha, thanks !

I've used UFRaw almost exclusively as a Gimp plug-in so far, so I have not played much with .ufraw files. But your strategy sounds good to me.
03-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

From experience, the k7 (and the k20 and k10 before it, don't know for other pentaxes) underexposes under tungsten...
I use a +1Ev comp (by aperture or speed, not iso!) under tungsten, and have much better results, without blown highlights.

Now, for really clean high-iso shots, I'll definitively invest in LR3 for my post-processing needs! Noise Reduction simply rocks in this version, and my K7's 6400 iso shots looks like they came from a Kx!

03-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
According to the documentation, it's supposed to kick in AT the number, not above it.
03-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
According to the documentation, it's supposed to kick in AT the number, not above it.
The only documentation I've found (in my K-7 manual) states the following:

Page 92:
"You can change the sensitivity at which to activate Noise Reduction in [20. High-ISO NR Start Level] in the [C Custom Setting 3] menu (p. 86)."

Page 86:
"High-ISO Noise Reduction is activated when shooting with a higher sensitivity than the set sensitivity."

I'm not sure what documentation you're referring to.
03-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

I misspoke twice, because I was referring to the KX, which I thought would be the same.

And looking at the menu, it does indeed say "above."

03-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice to see I am finding answers to questions I have not thought of!
Now that I know how this NR thing works on my K7.... the settings, that is ....
can someone actually CONFIRM that this NR will automatically kick in at ISO3200 only, when shooting RAW,
and that there is not much or no NR at all done by the camera at ISO 1600 or less, as long as you shoot RAW ...

sorry, lost the question mark when I type ... gives me this: ^ instead!

JP
03-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Nice to see I am finding answers to questions I have not thought of!
Now that I know how this NR thing works on my K7.... the settings, that is ....
can someone actually CONFIRM that this NR will automatically kick in at ISO3200 only, when shooting RAW,
and that there is not much or no NR at all done by the camera at ISO 1600 or less, as long as you shoot RAW ...
Honestly, I'm not sure how we can confirm or deny this claim. Since there's no way to have a RAW file at ISO 3200 that doesn't have noise reduction, we have nothing to compare it to. I'm sure there's some technical reason why GordonBGood made that claim, but I'm not aware what it is.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
sorry, lost the question mark when I type ... gives me this: ^ instead!
Your keyboard is set to English/US. The question mark is found at the bottom-right, where the é key is. You need to hold shift while pressing that key. (consequently, you've lost the é key). Switch back to a French/CA keyboard layout to put the keys back where they belong.
03-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Since there's no way to have a RAW file at ISO 3200 that doesn't have noise reduction, we have nothing to compare it to. I'm sure there's some technical reason why GordonBGood made that claim, but I'm not aware what it is.
Well, on the DxO site, there is an explanation to this. In fact, it can be found by using some mathematical models analyzing the noise... Cannot explain more, but that was a really interesting reading.

Here it is : DxO - Noise reduction
03-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #26
Ira
Inactive Account

On the Kx, i think it automatically kicks in at 3200 whether you want it or not, but you can still choose the level amongst three choices.

My high iso start pref is set for 800, which means mine kicks in at 1600, and I have it set to medium.

But maybe I should change it to low.
03-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

My high iso start pref is set for 800, which means mine kicks in at 1600, and I have it set to medium.
Wow, you actually restrict yourself that much on purpose? I have ISO 1000 and 1250 between 800 and 1600.

Custom Function #2: Sensitivity Steps (I have it set to "as EV")

Even the K-x has this option. That way you get the full spectrum of ISO choices instead of only bumping it by full stops. In my case, since EV steps is set to 1/3 steps (Custom Function #1), that means I end up with 1/3 ISO steps too.
03-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

Wow, you actually restrict yourself that much on purpose? I have ISO 1000 and 1250 between 800 and 1600.

Even the K-x has this option. That way you get the full spectrum of ISO choices instead of only bumping it by full stops. In my case, since EV steps is set to 1/3 steps (Custom Function #1), that means I end up with 1/3 ISO steps too.
Really? I had no idea those two settings were connected. I guess I didn't notice the ISO changes when I changed the EV steps.

Thanks for THAT info!

And for those newbies who are nubier than me:

Take notes!!!!!!!!!!'n
03-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #29
Ira
Inactive Account

Well gee, THAT was hard to change, huh?

On the kx, you select "As EV steps" to mirror your EV steps. The other option, which I was using, is obviously the default one--"EV Step," which gives you full stops.

Thanks AGAIN! THIS was an important lesson!!!
03-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I guess I didn't notice the ISO changes when I changed the EV steps.
You wouldn't have noticed, the "full" ISO steps stay the same regardless of whether you're using 1/2 or 1/3 steps. The series of ISO sensitivities goes like this:

In 1/3 EV steps:
100 - 125 - 160 - 200 - 250 - 320 - 400 - 500 - 640 - 800 - 1000 - 1250 - 1600 - 2000 - 2500 - 3200 - 4000 - 5000 - 6400

In 1/2 EV steps:
100 - 140 - 200 - 280 - 400 - 560 - 800 - 1100 - 1600 - 2200 - 3200 - 4500 - 6400

(the full ISO steps are bolded)