Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote

Which reminds me... Ben or Frank, there was some debate about whether the AF screen had rule of thirds grid lines, or golden ratio grid lines. Can you confirm either way for those who may be interested? (I'm guessing it's rule of thirds, but not sure).
Sorry I didn't check the ratio of the grid lines. I'm sure Ben would be able to answer that tonight when he gets back to his K-7

03-22-2010, 12:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

It's largely personal taste, but then many things which are largely intended to be tools still come customized to let the owner show their taste. Pickup trucks - especially the larger and more durable ones - are generally used for work, but can you imagine them being offered in white or black only?

The only slight advantage the K-7 Silver might have over the standard version from its body color is that it will reflect heat slightly better and hence may keep the sensor ever so slightly cooler. Beyond that it's just cosmetic.

That said, there are differences though. The K-7 Silver has a tempered glass LCD cover plate, versus an easier to scratch acrylic (or at least, something other than glass) cover plate on the standard version. There's also a different focusing screen, which some photographers may prefer.

Which reminds me... Ben or Frank, there was some debate about whether the AF screen had rule of thirds grid lines, or golden ratio grid lines. Can you confirm either way for those who may be interested? (I'm guessing it's rule of thirds, but not sure).
Fair enough - I do see your point.

I ride a customised motorcycle. But then, and I guess this is where a similar preferences comes in - it's customised only a way in which it's stripped down to something even more basic.

For me, a camera is just a tool - if someone offered a better camera for my photography style that looked uglier I'd want that one more than mine. I don't have much brand 'loyalty', I just think Pentax has great ideas and mostly answers what I want in cameras and lenses better than Canon or Nikon by a decent way. To me, it's the same as, say, a carpenter's hammer - it's not the hammer that matters, it's the building. It's a tool.

My preference only, to those that like a good-looking camera, I say it looks just fine and go ahead.
03-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
From Pentax Japanese site, the screen almost has rule of thirds grid lines.

PENTAX?K-7?Limited Silver?K-7??????????PENTAX

When I looked into the view finder, judging with my eye, the center spacing for horizontal & vertical lines are slightly wider than the sides by about 10-20%.
03-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #19

What a beautiful and classy design, this should stand out in the crowd Amazing lenses too

03-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Septrain Quote
From Pentax Japanese site, the screen almost has rule of thirds grid lines.

PENTAX?K-7?Limited Silver?K-7??????????PENTAX

When I looked into the view finder, judging with my eye, the center spacing for horizontal & vertical lines are slightly wider than the sides by about 10-20%.
Thanks for the info! Not that I'm likely to be able to afford the K-7 Silver myself, and I doubt the focusing screen will become available to buy separately - but it's interesting to know nonetheless.

Beautiful camera, I might well have considered it myself were it available in the US (and when I was buying my K-7 last year).
03-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a beauty... funny how things come around... 25years ago one had to pay extra to get a black body, and now we have to pay extra to get a silver body... go figure !
03-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #22
Forum Member

beautiful

simply beautiful.

03-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I sold my K7 to a fellow forum member. I thought I would be happy with my K20d, but you don't know what you have till its gone.....and another forum member helped me pick up the silver model. Seeing those pics make the wait even more unbearable . Thanks for posting.
03-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Septrain Quote
Received my K-7 Limited Silver 3 days ago.
It's really cool together with my 3 FA Limited.
Many thanks to my buddy Frank who took the pictures with his K-7 Black and posted in Clubsnap.
See link.
K-7 Special Edition - It IS BEAUTIFUL! - ClubSNAP Photography Forums
Indeed, this is a very beautiful camera, especially when combined with the silver-Ltd's!
I am showing this to my wife right now ... and she waves the "no-no" finger at me!
She won't even consider receiving a gift of my black K7 in return for a fair investment, by myself, for the silver K7 edition ... would you believe that?

JP
03-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is one beautiful camera. Of course looks matter. It's what makes a person different. It's like clothing...We all have our preference. I'm envious of your silver K-7 and the beautiful silver lenses.
03-25-2010, 01:17 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the compliments.
As k10dlook said, we all have our preference.
Fashion is a fad, just like K7 Silver Limited. Who knows, after a year or two, the 3 FA Limited will look for new host when Pentax decided to come up something different.
03-25-2010, 02:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

very beautiful indeed!

when i go for my second K-7, i'd rather get one of these! with lenses too.

thx for the posting here.
03-25-2010, 05:01 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Fair enough - I do see your point.

I ride a customised motorcycle. But then, and I guess this is where a similar preferences comes in - it's customised only a way in which it's stripped down to something even more basic.

For me, a camera is just a tool - if someone offered a better camera for my photography style that looked uglier I'd want that one more than mine. I don't have much brand 'loyalty', I just think Pentax has great ideas and mostly answers what I want in cameras and lenses better than Canon or Nikon by a decent way. To me, it's the same as, say, a carpenter's hammer - it's not the hammer that matters, it's the building. It's a tool.

My preference only, to those that like a good-looking camera, I say it looks just fine and go ahead.
And a motorcycle is just a mode of transportation. Why would it matter what it looks like as long as it gets you from point A to point B, this is what my wife says about my Obsession with cars
03-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Just to be devil's advocate here, what does it matter what your camera looks like?

Short of being it being less noticeable or smaller, I don't see how it matters. But it must do somehow, as it sounds like coloured K-x's did well.
i agree, neither a camera's looks nor its color do really matter after all, BUT, when it comes to size and weight (two really important factors in ALL tools not just cameras) as well as ergonomics (that contributes to how a camera / tool fits its user's hands to let him/her handle the device more comfortably and in command) plus the fact that all buttons and levers and controls and things also have to be accessible in the right places (more ergonomics again, if we're really concerned with the best professional performance vs allotted time to take any number of pictures of any passing event that is usually not repeatable btw) then we'll normally end up with certain types of 'looks' as dictated by the requirements mentioned above. (we can compare that to how most cars look alike these days, why? because aerodynamics / fuel economy "dictate" certain things to be considered in today cars' designs ...)

there are also other factors involved of course, for example, no matter how proficiently he or she may be able to take superb pictures using the simplest of cameras out there, a pro photographer or videographer normally cannot simply take his point and shoot pocket DSLR or camcorder to attend a wedding ceremony he or she's going to get paid thousands of dollars to shoot, where even some of the guests have brought along with them their top of the range Nikons and Canons and Sonys etc even if they'd be taking no more than a few blurry snapshots with their 'high class' cameras!

(and there's still more to say in that respect but this post is certainly too long already!)

anyway, aside from the facts mentioned above, then there are the 'aesthetics' at work too, which may make some really fine camera look not so beautiful to the eye while the other so-so camera (or tool of any kind) could look great to most people's eyes.

then there's also the matter of just how you feel when you see the beauty of your choice and taste be it a beautiful person or pet or flower or a tool or camera. of course aesthetics is already a highly formulated and 'placticized' science but no matter what, people's various (and often times conflicting!) tastes still plays a major role above that science and formulae thing moulded unto aesthetics and surely you, as a person quoting wise statements from someone so important in modern times culture as Breson, do not need me to go explaining things in that regard any further than this point!

i also quite agree with you that K-x did sell good because of color alone (i own a White one already, planning to get a Navy one later, Red i like but will never intend to have, even for free!) but it's also a great little camera to match the K-7, even professionally speaking. (and most important pros out there simply don't even treat Pentax as a pro brand anyway, no matter which model and format!)

a silver ONLY body is also available by Canon for its Digital Rebel XSI model and i guess they were quicker on this than Pentax btw.

life is boring overall, yet things like photography make it interesting and even worth living for me - Penties Rider

Last edited by penties rider; 03-25-2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: typo!
03-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

It's a gorgeous looking camera. Thanks for sharing. Looking at that FA 31 after losing mine stings a bit tho!

In my opinion, Pentax make the best looking cameras, by some margin. Even the K100D still looks better than any APS-C Nikon or Canon.