Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 04:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I received my K10D. Shutter count 2685, looks pretty minty with no scratches anywhere!

Love the feel of the camera so far. Ordered a split focus screen off eBay for twenty dollars. Also, a Sigma 28/1.8. Now if only the weather could be less grey and the light less flat outside

However... I'm not sure if I will manage to sell the K100Ds! It's just such an awesome camera, and I have a lot of memories with it... I think I'm honestly becoming emotionally attached to a lump of molded plastic and circuit boards here!

03-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats and enjoy it. I have both and have (at this stage) dedicated the K100D to M42 lenses.
03-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Congrats and enjoy it. I have both and have (at this stage) dedicated the K100D to M42 lenses.
This is a thought that has occured to me -- get another of those cheap-o split image screens and jam an M42 adapter in there more or less permanently. Good idea, actually. Will give it serious consideration.
03-26-2010, 07:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your minty K10D

03-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I love my K10D! It's my first DSLR and I've owned it for... holy [insert Robin remark here]... two years +1 week or two. I love the camera and still do. I've only played with a K100D for five minutes and can only speak for the feel of it. Two dials is superior, it's all I know basically.
You will not be disappointed with the K10D, especially if it was only 400 kr.

Still grey over there? Snow's melting here and we've got a couple of sun days as well. 8 degrees today!
03-28-2010, 03:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
I love my K10D! It's my first DSLR and I've owned it for... holy [insert Robin remark here]... two years +1 week or two. I love the camera and still do. I've only played with a K100D for five minutes and can only speak for the feel of it. Two dials is superior, it's all I know basically.
You will not be disappointed with the K10D, especially if it was only 400 kr.

Still grey over there? Snow's melting here and we've got a couple of sun days as well. 8 degrees today!
Yeah, it's cold and grey as hell. Currently snowing a lot and it has been for the last two-three days. Sigh. There were a couple of spring days earlier with +9 degrees or something but it passed pretty quickly.

Anyway -- I took the K10D out for a spin yesterday and was pretty disappointed with the pictures, honestly -- today I found out why. Did some tests and found out it was back-focusing BADLY. So I did the whole firmware downgrade and debug menu routine and tested a couple of different lenses -- it seems like this particular camera needed a +130 adjustment to focus properly. The previous owner can not have been very satisfied with the pics out of this camera...

Lookin' good now, though! But I gotta say -- if you're a JPEG shooter and like using ISO 400 and up then the K100D easily takes better pictures straight out of the camera than this guy. I plan on using RAW though, so no biggie.
03-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the firmware downgrade allow you to calibrate multiple lenses? I don't think it does but I'm not familiar with it.
If not, the 1.30 firmware has a debug mode. Search the forum for a thread called something like '1.30 firmware unleashed'.

03-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Did some tests and found out it was back-focusing BADLY. So I did the whole firmware downgrade and debug menu routine and tested a couple of different lenses -- it seems like this particular camera needed a +130 adjustment to focus properly. The previous owner can not have been very satisfied with the pics out of this camera...
Man, that sucks, glad you could tweak it. Had no idea you could do that but I haven't had any back or front focus problems.

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
Lookin' good now, though! But I gotta say -- if you're a JPEG shooter and like using ISO 400 and up then the K100D easily takes better pictures straight out of the camera than this guy. I plan on using RAW though, so no biggie.
Nope, only a RAW shooter myself.