Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
If you need to use more lens at the same moment is better take a K-x as second body.

IMHO there are no more big difference between K-7 and K20D, the only difference that I can see is the speed of K7 and fast AF.

Maybe you cann sell your K20D and buy K-7 if you make sport photos. But if don't need more as just said, the best choise is buy a new lens with a good quality, i think with this choise can you be happy.

04-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #17

Why do you want to upgrade your body? Are you planning to take videos? DO you want better low light/ high iso performance?

The answer will vary depending on your needs.
04-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I was in the same situation, but in the end decided to keep the K20D and just pruchased a used K-x.

May be in 6+ months, I will think again about whether to replace the K20D with a K-7, or to go for the newer body if one is announced by then.
04-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it was me and I had to upgrade it would definitely be the K-7 as it is more of a pro-oriented camera. However, personally I just don't feel the need to upgrade because the K-7 just doesn't offer enough to change. Hopefully, in the coming months a K20D replacement will arrive that will make me change my mind.

04-10-2010, 03:12 AM   #20
Pentaxian

The LCD on the K7 is attractive!! 3" & 920,000 dots
04-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #21

+1 K-x for high ISO, but keep in mind you'll loose weather sealing.
(and it seems to be a more simple camera)

+1 for a K-7 (I own one, and I love it).

So I would choose between keeping K20 and buying glass or buying K7.
Depends on how big your present is but think about this:
do I miss a good lens that I allways wanted, and not having it keeps me away from taking pictures
that I would love to take? Of course, I'm not talking about a 3000$ lens Still be reasonable

I think that's more important than having the latest body, the K20 is allready a good one.
And you still can change in a year or so..
04-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

It all depends on the type of photograph you are. As an advanced amateur I would certainly not take the Kx over the K7. If you more of a point-and-shooter that operates in the Green mode then go for the Kx, smaller lighter simpler.
04-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
It all depends on the type of photograph you are. As an advanced amateur I would certainly not take the Kx over the K7. If you more of a point-and-shooter that operates in the Green mode then go for the Kx, smaller lighter simpler.
Some of us not-so-much-point-and-shooters choose the K-x anyway for the benefits of its imaging characteristics and are able to make it do what we want it to quite well, despite its somewhat more basic featureset. Aside from the ruggedized body, extra external controls and slightly faster operation, there's not a huge difference for most advanced shooters between the K-7 and K-x, aside from some who have needs for certain specific features.

I for one have never used green mode on my K-x. Try to be careful what you imply in your posts.

04-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The K-x manual says the Green button can be assigned any of the several custom functions which are about 6, so I am curious to know what an advanced amateur like regor implied by point-and-shooters using this Green button...
04-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
The K-x manual says the Green button can be assigned any of the several custom functions which are about 6, so I am curious to know what an advanced amateur like regor implied by point-and-shooters using this Green button...
He said green mode (as in full-auto), not green button. One word makes a whole lotta difference. Of course, the presence of the green button on the K-x is a good illustration of the fact that it's not just for point-and-shooters who use green mode all the time. The green button has no function in green mode. If the K-x was only marketed to the most amateur of amateurs, why bother including the green button at all?
05-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
After some thought, I finally decdided to order a KX as a second body and keep the K20. I have been using the K20 with my Bigma this last month and have really enjoyed using it for wildlife photography. However after two weekend trips hauling the K20 around along with the 10-17 and the 18-250mm Tamron, I have decided that a more compact body would be very nice for travel. I will keep the K20 until the K7 predecessor proves itself and drops from its initially high price.......
thanks for your input.