Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #1

Pictures from Kx seem to be too blue (needs color correction)

Hi Everyone,

I just got my Kx last week, and I noticed that all my images are a bit too blue. I found that I had to edit it in the RAW file, but this is a pain when I had about 200 photos from a recent photoshoot and each one had to be adjusted.

The photos were taken outside on a beautiful clear sunny day. I'm looking in the manual for answers, but I thought the internet might be a better source for answers.

My question, would this be a White Balance issue? I think it was set for AWB. Am I missing a setting somewhere that will allow me to change the color slightly? I was also using a Sony A700 on the same photoshoot and they turned out 'normal' colors, so I can confirm that it wasn't a 'blue' day

Thanks,

Brad

03-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Forum Member

maybe you are using tungsten light right now.

push on WB

and navigate the to the top to AWB

in the menu you can change the green button to chose the AWB presets like muted, vibrant etc.
03-22-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a KX but I read a similar complaint in a review: in some circumstances an depending on the subject matter the KX awb gives a slight blue color cast. Seems that's an issue with the awb. I would check if the problem disappears if you set the wb manually for the circumstances.
03-22-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
Forum Member

Either set WB manually or, if you work with some sort of picture management software like Lightroom, you can just assign a certain WB to all pictures at once.

03-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LinXitoW Quote
Either set WB manually or, if you work with some sort of picture management software like Lightroom, you can just assign a certain WB to all pictures at once.
Yup, if you shoot RAW, you should be able to tweak the WB for one image and then apply it to the rest.

In my case, at a hockey game last weekend, I took a WB reference off of rough ice, and then used that for the remainder of the game.

Another thing you can try - I'm not sure about the K-x, but my K20D lets you set a custom white balance from a picture. Bring along a good white balance reference, and take a sample from that before you start shooting.

NOTE: Many "white" papers are actually treated with mildly fluorescent substances to make them appear extra bright. These make for BAD WB references. Same with white clothing frequently, for the same reason. (Think of how white clothes often glow under a blacklight.)
03-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Could also be that your monitor is not properly calbrated - have you done so recently using a hardware colorimeter?

Posting an example would help others ascertain if we're talking about something wrong or just normal variation in how AWB is interpreted.

I'd second the observation adjusting WB on hundreds of pictures should take no more of your time than adjusting it on one, if you're using RAW processing software worth using.
03-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Another question to clear up was whether you had any filter on the lens at the time - eg a Daylight or UV filter. They can often be responsible for introducing a colour cast like the one you describe.
03-23-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have a K-7 and found the same issue.
People praise the AWB of the K-7 & K-x as being the best in the market.
This is mostly because in incandescent light conditions the AWB does a very good job.
My guess is that this has a negative effect on outdoor situations where there is a lot of yellow in the light. For instance, a lot of photos I took in Africa in the dry season with lots of black and yellow (dry grass) colours came out with a strong blue cast in the shadow / black areas.
If you shoot RAW (I never shoot JPEG, memory is too cheap these days!), this is easy to correct, just up the colour temp of your photo and all problems are gone.
Or; set your white balance manualy.

Success, Bert

03-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
I have a K-7 and found the same issue.
People praise the AWB of the K-7 & K-x as being the best in the market.
This is mostly because in incandescent light conditions the AWB does a very good job.
My guess is that this has a negative effect on outdoor situations where there is a lot of yellow in the light. For instance, a lot of photos I took in Africa in the dry season with lots of black and yellow (dry grass) colours came out with a strong blue cast in the shadow / black areas.
If you shoot RAW (I never shoot JPEG, memory is too cheap these days!), this is easy to correct, just up the colour temp of your photo and all problems are gone.
Or; set your white balance manualy.

Success, Bert
We have a similar "problem" here when it snows. White snow, blue shadows.
It's caused by the light in shadows being illuminated by the sky (blue) rather than the sun.
Your shadow problem isn't a problem with the camera.
03-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
We have a similar "problem" here when it snows. White snow, blue shadows.
It's caused by the light in shadows being illuminated by the sky (blue) rather than the sun.
Your shadow problem isn't a problem with the camera.
Well, it could be yes, but I guess that is not the case here.
While blue shadows on ice / snow can be explained by reflection of the sun, black burned grass (coal) typically does not reflect very well.
Also, my K10D used side by side with my K-7, does not show the blue cast on (the same) black surfaces.
If you look at the K-7 exif data, the colour temperature was set extremely low compared to the K10D.
Correcting the colour temp (IMHO) is what you should do.

I guess that is the price to pay for excellent indoor AWB (which for the camera has similar colour / light conditions).

Cheers, Bert
03-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Another question to clear up was whether you had any filter on the lens at the time - eg a Daylight or UV filter. They can often be responsible for introducing a colour cast like the one you describe.
I do have a Hoya UV Filter on the lens, but it is the same filter that I had when I had my old Sony A100 (this pentax replaced the A100). I never had that problem on the Sony.

For both the Kx, and my Sony, I use a Sigma 10-20.

Thanks
03-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Could also be that your monitor is not properly calbrated - have you done so recently using a hardware colorimeter?

Posting an example would help others ascertain if we're talking about something wrong or just normal variation in how AWB is interpreted.

I'd second the observation adjusting WB on hundreds of pictures should take no more of your time than adjusting it on one, if you're using RAW processing software worth using.
I guess I should learn how to do a batch RAW processing with Photoshop
03-23-2010, 08:19 AM   #13

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for your replies and suggestions. I'm new to Pentax, and so far I'm VERY impressed with my new Kx.

Here are the original and color corrected pics (just thought some of you might want to see what I'm talking about). They're big files (warning to anyone on dial-up), I didn't compress them, just to ensure that you can see the original files, so you can see what I'm referring to.

http://www.qstudios.ca/client_downloads/PentaxKx_blue.JPG (6mb)

The color corrected version is here:

http://www.qstudios.ca/client_downloads/Pentax-ColorCorrected.jpg (9mb)

Anyway, I believe I had it on AWB, I think the EXIF data shows that.

Again, thanks everyone, you are so helpful!

Brad
03-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

AWB is more an art than a science - a camera tries to deduce the color of the light by looking at the color of objects in the scene, then makes a guess about how much of the light color you want removed. Both parts of that are not very exact. Assuming your lawn really looks more like #2 (mine definitely looks much more like #1), I think you'd have to chalk that up to the camera just not guessing right on one or both counts in this instance, and expect that in some other cases, it's going to give you results you like better. Checking out the RGB values of some of the neutral items in your pictures, I see a strong red cast to the rocks in the "corrected" version and a more neutral tone in the "blue" version. So I'm assuming the camera based much of its guesswork on that, and tried to render the rocks more neutral even though they may have actually been reddish. The sky also has much more red in it in your "corrected" version - rather more than is typical in my part of the country. So that's another thing the camera may have been looking at.

BTW, there is a custom option on some of the K-x to control how hard the camera tries to reduce color cast from warm light. If the K-x has this, be sure to set it on the weak setting if you don't already. Or just use one of the manual presets.

BTW, I don't know the specific procedue for applying a WB to a bunch of files at once in Photoshop, but I'm pretty sure you do it using Bridge.
03-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Well, it could be yes, but I guess that is not the case here.
While blue shadows on ice / snow can be explained by reflection of the sun, black burned grass (coal) typically does not reflect very well.
Also, my K10D used side by side with my K-7, does not show the blue cast on (the same) black surfaces.
If you look at the K-7 exif data, the colour temperature was set extremely low compared to the K10D.
Correcting the colour temp (IMHO) is what you should do.

I guess that is the price to pay for excellent indoor AWB (which for the camera has similar colour / light conditions).

Cheers, Bert
My mistake. when you said shadow areas, I presumed that you meant areas that were in shade, which would be illuminated by the (primarily) blue sky.