Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2010, 01:47 AM   #1

Something to be careful about

Dear all,
I would like to warn you about a problem that happened to me the 2 days ago so you may be more careful (apologies if someone has posted it before).
3 or 4 days ago I cleaned my focus screen but instead of using a pair of tweezers, I used my finger nail to open and then close the screen.
Fast forward to 2 days ago, I was taking some photos and suddenly noticed a 'funny' view in the viewfinder - on opening the lens I noted that the focus screen was loose, so I put it back for it to happen again. This time the lens wouldn't come off easily and I had to apply a lot of force. To my horror I saw that the screen had split in half (the LL-80)!! Luckily I had the original and put that one in with the supplied 'tweezers'.
So a warning, use the tweezers to change your screen and no a stubby finger like I, so stupidly, did.
Cheers.

03-22-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I actually have the opposite recommendation. Using the tweezers to grab and place the screen is fine. But when you try to do everything with the tweezer, afraid of getting your fingers near it, can be problematic.

That's exactly how it was with me, when I clumsily tried to close the screen housing with the tip of the tweezer; the plastic tweezer and the metal housing apparently didn't like each other, the tweezer slipped, and skidded across the bottom of the KatzEye screen, scratching it. It was a light scratch, but very visible in the viewfinder.

Since then whenever I handle focus screens, I put on surgical gloves and do all the handling with my hands. That way I won't scratch the screen while having good tactile feedback of the housing door shutting tightly (or not).
03-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the lesson (I've done both) here is use a loupe or magnifying glass to ensure the screen is correctly in the frame before trying to close it.
03-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use the steel tweezers supplied with my LX and MX screens. The have a longer tip on one end, which makes closing the screen holder much easier.

Ben