Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sell K200D's for K7?

Howdy-

I've been very happy with my K200D, and bought a second as a backup. I now have a decent set of lenses now and wonder if the K7's 14.7 MPs are a good next step to getting noticeably better results. My next camera would be a K7 or its replacement as I like the smaller body, ergonomics and WP. I'm not interested in the movie capability and some of the K7s other features but wouldn't mind the better low light and focusing performance.

Is the K7 IQ that huge a jump from the 200D with good glass, or are we talking good vs publication quality (whatever that means to folks)?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited by Biff; 03-22-2010 at 10:16 PM.
03-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
First, my suggestion to you - go to cameralensrentals.com and rent the K-7 for a week and see how you like it. You don't have to wade through the load of sometimes biased or un-informed posts to glean insight from your contemporaries. Decide for yourself with real world use.

Second, I've got the same gear and had thought about a K-7 upgrade too. I've decided to keep the K200 and I can offer four reasons why you should too:

1. K200D images are pretty darn good. Co-worker has been through 2 Nikon D60s, a D5000, a Canon T1i and 40D and still has envy for the Pentax I carry. Not strictly resolution, but color, contrast, white balance, all combine to give me a more consistent keep rate.

2. Based on the review and real world photos I've seen the resolution/ IQ improvement is noticeable, but not significant enough to justify the added price tag for me. If you're doing work that demands high detail, then by all means take the plunge.

3. Expect the price of the K-7 to go down in the not too distant future.

4. If low light performance is a key element of your considerations, check out the K-X. That beastie rocks for low light performance. The only thing that prevents me from purchasing one is the focus confirmation (red box) in the viewfinder - it doesn't have one for some reason. I almost exclusively use center focus, but there are those few times when I've gotta have auto focus point selection and visual focus point confirmation is kinda important in those situations so I can manually override as needed.
03-23-2010, 01:19 AM   #3
Forum Member

Sell one K200 and get a Kx. They make a great combo given their different strengths, to the point where you'll have most bases covered quite effectively.