Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
I swear, last night it said the K-7 was not compatible.

Jeff, the Eye-Fi is an SD card that uses Wi-Fi to automatically upload pics to your desktop and/or online galleries as you shoot.
Explained here in case you guys missed it. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-forum/85807-wireless-video-u...tml#post966909

03-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
ditto it being useful in studio...if you've ever tried shots of food, you'd have similar problems...it's hard telling what's in focus on the tiny little screen on the back of the camera...
Absolutely. One of the things I miss on the K7 is tethered shooting.
Very handy indeed for still life and product shots.
Being able to have the camera transmitting wireless to the computer would be very nice in the studio.
I just don't know if I could bring myself to trust it at a wedding or some such where I might go out of range, though I presume they write to the card as well.
03-25-2010, 04:48 AM   #18

Does this tramsmit any faster than you can just pull out the SDHC card and plug into you PCs reader?

What if you shoot raw? Dont you still need to process the files on the PC before viewing them?
03-25-2010, 05:06 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Warren s Quote
Does this tramsmit any faster than you can just pull out the SDHC card and plug into you PCs reader?

What if you shoot raw? Dont you still need to process the files on the PC before viewing them?
no, you can probably see the raw file directly on a pc without having to process, cant you?
At least on a mac (simple macbook, no a huge machine) you see the raw photos directly with no problem.

I like Pentax but theses type of small details are pissing me off: no thetered shooting possibility, so I was thinking to use an eye-fi card but now no compatibilty, bla bla.
nikon and canon users never ask themselves theses questions, they have everything working and plenty of handy options (not absolutely necessaries to take pictures, but useful whenever you need them).
And this is not because of a third-party provider problem, in the case of the tethered shooting, it is because of the camera.

03-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Warren s Quote
Can you do this in 4-6sec for each image while you're checking focus?

And most image viewers (picasa, lightroom, etc.) will display RAW files...some apps like Capture One will also run some processing on them before displaying them.

Lack of Tethering is why I haven't upgraded to the K7 from my K20D...
03-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
no, you can probably see the raw file directly on a pc without having to process, cant you?
At least on a mac (simple macbook, no a huge machine) you see the raw photos directly with no problem.

I like Pentax but theses type of small details are pissing me off: no thetered shooting possibility, so I was thinking to use an eye-fi card but now no compatibilty, bla bla.
nikon and canon users never ask themselves theses questions, they have everything working and plenty of handy options (not absolutely necessaries to take pictures, but useful whenever you need them).
And this is not because of a third-party provider problem, in the case of the tethered shooting, it is because of the camera.
This is why it's important to study carefully what you are buying, including the philosophy behind the product.
For example, the K7 is being marketed to the "outdoor enthusiast". As much as I'd like tethered shooting to be available, the likelihood of it being much use outside of a product shoot is pretty limited, and would be of no use whatsoever to the target market for this camera.
If you need it as a feature, buy a different camera, if you need something not offered by Pentax, buy a different brand.
03-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #22

Try looking at the Eye-Fi compatibility chart.
Or call the Adorama customer service line.

Here's Adorama's page on the new X2 cards:
Eye-Fi unveils X2 family of WiFi SDHC cards from Adorama Learning Center

Pentax Compatibility Table Support

03-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I just don't know if I could bring myself to trust it at a wedding or some such where I might go out of range, though I presume they write to the card as well.
They act as regular SD cards, so they store all of the images captured. The new ones can be set to delete uploaded images to free up space after they've been off loaded, but that's optional.
03-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #24

This is why it's important to study carefully what you are buying, including the philosophy behind the product.
For example, the K7 is being marketed to the "outdoor enthusiast". As much as I'd like tethered shooting to be available, the likelihood of it being much use outside of a product shoot is pretty limited, and would be of no use whatsoever to the target market for this camera.
If you need it as a feature, buy a different camera, if you need something not offered by Pentax, buy a different brand.
well... I bought pentax because I started with it (film SLR) and I wanted to be able to use my lenses.

Thanks god, I'm an 'outdoor enthusiat' as you say (however when I started with my film SLR long time ago, there was no 'outdoor enthusiat' sticker on it so I can consider myself lucky).

But I would say, at such level -the K7 being THE flagship DSLR from pentax- there are some minimum options that have to be included.
At least, to allow them to survive against a strong the concurrence, they should not lack some basics stuff like that.

The K7 is not that much specialized in a type of photography to excuse that it misses some of theses quite standards option.

Last edited by oliver939; 03-25-2010 at 10:10 AM.
03-25-2010, 10:07 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
They act as regular SD cards, so they store all of the images captured. The new ones can be set to delete uploaded images to free up space after they've been off loaded, but that's optional.
OK, that's nice to know. Sort of doing an instant back up, which is nice.
I am still a bit of a skeptic, since it's one more thing to go wrong. I'd trust it in a situation where I would normally have the camera tethered for product shots, but I'm still not sure I'd trust it otherwise. I have an innate distrust of multifunctional devices.

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
well... I bought pentax because I started with it (film SLR) and I wanted to be able to use my lenses.

Thanks god, I'm an 'outdoor enthusiat' as you say (however when I started with my film SLR long time ago, there was no 'outdoor enthusiat' reference on it so I can consider myself lucky).

But I would say, at such level (the K7 being the flagship DSLR from pentax), there are some minimum requirements that have to be met.

The K7 is not that specialized in a type of photography to excuse that it misses some of theses quite standards option.
We are more the same than different. The lack of tethered shooting is not a killer for me, I do find it rather inexplicable that they put it on the K20 and then dropped it on the K-7.
My guess is that there's a K7s (or some such) in the offing that will give back that feature.
It's not like as if their major competitors don't pull stunts like that.
03-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Astrophotography?
03-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #27

See the other Eye-fi post where I've confirmed that the 4GB Home version works OK with the *istDS and GX-20..... I'd be surprised if it doesn't work with all the others, you may get the odd glitch and have problems with the SHARE version, uploading over the web, but direct to the computer I would expect very few problems.

The GX-20 doesn't even have tethered shooting, although I heard that there was a program for Linux

shim
03-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Astrophotography?
Noise?
All the astro guys that I know use Canon. I doubt that this segment of the market even registers at Pentax.
03-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Astrophotography?
exactly !

That's one of the case where I would have appreciated the tethered shooting, or at least the eye-fi card compatibility.
03-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #30

Noise?
All the astro guys that I know use Canon. I doubt that this segment of the market even registers at Pentax.
well, that what true during a time when the canon DSLR were the only one with CMOS sensor (giving better results than CCD ones).

Pentax does small camera, weather sealed, CMOS sensor, excellent noise limit for the Kx, why the f... they fail on the last small step they have to do

Pentax want to sell camera? people wants camera that can do everything with (even if they never do it ) Studio, outdoor, astro, movies, etc... just give them, they'll put some money on the table for that.