Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
i have a 4gb eye-fi card and it works fine. downloads my pics and vids from my K-x with no problem. its a little slow compared to just plugging the card right into my computer but it does the trick. works great and i got it for free from google when i purchased picasa web storage.
here is a link to the offer if anyone is intrested.
Buy 200 GB of storage for $50 and get a free Eye-Fi card

03-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
What I was thinking...

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
What is Eye Fi and why would I care?? Not being sarcastic here just wondering why my SDHC card suddenly isn't going to be good enough.

Jeff, my thinking was that, given my old guy vision and the 2.7" LCD on the K20, it would be nifty to have any Wi-Fi device with a larger screen (iPad or something smaller/cheaper) for immediate viewing of the image. Not imperative, but I've been out and about, taken shots and not "seen" one thing or another in (or not in) the image. A larger image would let me reshoot on site rather than find out later what I had (or didn't have) when loaded on the desktop computer. Sort of like tethering, but much more compact and portable,
Brian
03-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oliver939 Quote
well, that what true during a time when the canon DSLR were the only one with CMOS sensor (giving better results than CCD ones).

Pentax does small camera, weather sealed, CMOS sensor, excellent noise limit for the Kx, why the f... they fail on the last small step they have to do

Pentax want to sell camera? people wants camera that can do everything with (even if they never do it ) Studio, outdoor, astro, movies, etc... just give them, they'll put some money on the table for that.
Perhaps they fail with the K-x because, for all that it has pretty good noise performance, it is still an entry level camera. Every feature they add makes the camera more expensive. Every dollar more that they charge makes the camera less competitive.
If you want a Pentax that will do everything, get ready to spend a whole lot more money than the few hundred dollars that a K-x sells for.
03-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
i have a 4gb eye-fi card and it works fine. downloads my pics and vids from my K-x with no problem.
Cool. What exact model Eye-fi card is that?

03-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Noise?
All the astro guys that I know use Canon. I doubt that this segment of the market even registers at Pentax.
Huh?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/77684-k-x-king-lon...otography.html
03-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #36
Veteran Member

erm... except for the whole pesky AA battery life thing and forced dark frame subtraction, which essentially doubles the shutter speed for any shot over 30 seconds.

I think one can get 2x30-minute long exposures out of a good set of batteries (which is essentially having the shutter open for 2 hours straight).
03-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
erm... except for the whole pesky AA battery life thing and forced dark frame subtraction, which essentially doubles the shutter speed for any shot over 30 seconds.

I think one can get 2x30-minute long exposures out of a good set of batteries (which is essentially having the shutter open for 2 hours straight).
Can the K-x be plugged in or is it battery power only?
03-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #38
Pentaxian

There is indeed an AC adapter for the K-x - K-AC84.

Same one as the K-m/K2000 used.

03-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Can the K-x be plugged in or is it battery power only?
I'm not sure, I'm too lazy to look it up. But if the K-7 AC adapter is any indication, it's not cheap. At that point, you're negating the cost advantage of the K-x.

Let's not forget the lack of Remote Assistant support in the K-x, which means we're stuck sitting next to the camera the whole time (unless you buy one of those self-timer remote shutters, which cost yet more money).

edit: $65 for the AC adapter at Adorama
03-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I thought that was a quirk w/ the Samsung sensor on the K20D/K7.
The k-x uses the Sony CMOS sensor...does it still require you to do a DFS?
03-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
Jeff, my thinking was that, given my old guy vision and the 2.7" LCD on the K20, it would be nifty to have any Wi-Fi device with a larger screen (iPad or something smaller/cheaper) for immediate viewing of the image. Not imperative, but I've been out and about, taken shots and not "seen" one thing or another in (or not in) the image. A larger image would let me reshoot on site rather than find out later what I had (or didn't have) when loaded on the desktop computer. Sort of like tethering, but much more compact and portable,
Brian
I don't deny that it can have use after reading some of the responses. I was just curious as to what exactly it was. I'm thinking product shots sent directly to the laptop. Or maybe the occasional moon shot. Don't see one in my immediate future though. I want to see how it actually plays with the pentax cameras first.

03-31-2010, 06:18 AM   #42

On say studio product shots (even ebay stuff) It can be very handy getting a picture into a computer editor to check the (RGB) white balance with the eye-dropper on a grey area, (I use a shot of a grey TV remote initially). Exposure and lighting can also be checked. Once you've got it right you can just rattle off say a dozen shots that don't need any or very little adjustment in the computer.

It's a pity that Pentax don't put an eye-dropper tool onto the preview screen in the camera so that you can check the RGB on a gray card or similar.

shim
04-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #43

I bought an eye fi 8GB x2 pro last week.

I tried it with the K10 and Kx (jpeg only and raw+) and so far transferring photos from the camera to the pc via a router works as well as geotagging. Software could be better though. Jpeg uploads in roughly a second for me, Raw takes 2-3 secs (subjective); In any case it's fast enough to be able to use it for instant feedback on a big screen/monitor and lightroom.

I have not tried it through an ad hoc network yet.

I would love to try it with the ipad ( a friend lent me his for the day to try out, too expensive for what it is but with that screen and tethering....). Unfortunately since the wifi is gimped, the only way I see it working is with a portable router / personal acess point (cradlepoint phs300 seems to fit the bill). Shuttersnitch, an app that works with eye fi on itunes, seems to have been pulled; eye fi has an app but doesn't seem as interesting.
04-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #44

has anyone heard of eyefi doing a deal with the X2 and google? I'd be happy to pony up the $100 or so for the X2, provided I can get some additional google space with it. Buying the older 4gb sdhc card with their current promo doesn't seem safe with the K-x.
04-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax loves Eye Fi. The new cameras H90 and I10 both have this EYE FI capability.