Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax hates Eye-Fi?

Am I reading this correctly, that none of the Pentax DSLRs are compatible with even the upgraded Eye-Fi remote transfer SD cards? Anybody know why Nikon,Canon, Panasonic are compatible, and if that is being looked at, or do we just do without along with Olympus?
Brian

03-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #2

Perhaps the power supply is not enough to drive the eye-fi card to transfer pictures when the camera is in idle.
03-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #3

Geez that just really pissed me off.. I was sooo looking forward to getting this card for my K7.
03-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Perhaps it's been updated since you looked at it, but I see the compatibility list for the newer generation X2 cards showing the K-7 as compatible. The K10 and K20 are listed as "to be determined", and the K-x (along with all Pentax's other DSLR models) is missing from the list altogether.

03-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Perhaps it's been updated since you looked at it, but I see the compatibility list for the newer generation X2 cards showing the K-7 as compatible. The K10 and K20 are listed as "to be determined", and the K-x (along with all Pentax's other DSLR models) is missing from the list altogether.
Well, there's a change. For a while, the K-7 was listed as not compatible. Guess Eye-Fi had a change of heart and decided it was compatible after all. Now I can start saving my pennies...

- Jason
03-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
Well, there's a change. For a while, the K-7 was listed as not compatible. Guess Eye-Fi had a change of heart and decided it was compatible after all. Now I can start saving my pennies...

- Jason
I wouldn't say it was necessarily a change of heart. Note that it's *only* the newer generation X2 cards (which just started shipping) that are listed as compatible. Hence their old note that cards didn't work in the K-7 still applies for all the older cards. They've just managed to work around it for the new card.
03-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

What is Eye Fi and why would I care?? Not being sarcastic here just wondering why my SDHC card suddenly isn't going to be good enough.

03-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I swear, last night it said the K-7 was not compatible.

Jeff, the Eye-Fi is an SD card that uses Wi-Fi to automatically upload pics to your desktop and/or online galleries as you shoot.
03-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
I swear, last night it said the K-7 was not compatible.

Jeff, the Eye-Fi is an SD card that uses Wi-Fi to automatically upload pics to your desktop and/or online galleries as you shoot.
It's certainly possible. If it said it was incompatible with the newer X2 cards, I'd guess it could be that either it was an error, or they'd just not gotten their testing finished (or the results parsed).

Either way, they're happy it works now, which is good news.
03-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #10

My opinion is the "other" guys paid Eye-Fi to make sure their card works with their brand of cameras, heck even some "other" brands advertise that fact, and it's not by accident. Eye-Fi probably came with their hand out to Pentax and left empty handed, hence the spotty support. Eye-Fi has a lot of $$$$$$ invested in R&D to squeeze storage, processing and a wifi radio into such a small package, they're not making that back selling the cards as cheap as they are. Heck, a compact flash wifi radio for my old PDA cost way more than the eye-fi and it doesn't have any memory in it.
03-24-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Eye-Fi is an SD card that uses Wi-Fi to automatically upload pics to your desktop and/or online galleries as you shoot.
You mean I don't need my lens-bearer, Ansel, to use the satellite phone to do that any more? Zounds, this modern technology is simply astounding! That will give Ansel more opportunity to hand-crank the battery-charging generator.

You mean my shaky shots will go directly online before I have a chance to fix them? So there's no more PP? No more excuses? What a lousy situation! I'd better take my lithium.

Well, I can see that this would be useful to surveillance guys and paparazzi and spies and blackmailers etc, but what's in it for us normal folk? Oh, I suppose I could shoot in shopping malls and nuclear facilities and not be 'requested' to delete shots.
03-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Well, I can see that this would be useful to surveillance guys and paparazzi and spies and blackmailers etc, but what's in it for us normal folk? Oh, I suppose I could shoot in shopping malls and nuclear facilities and not be 'requested' to delete shots.
It's something else to go wrong.....
We were discussing WiFi at the studio the other day. We actually thought it would be useful for us during Christmas season when we are shooting Santa photos, since the images could be squirted to the printer on the spot.
None of us saw much use for it otherwise.
03-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The 'Endless Memory' mode could be useful in a studio or at a wedding. Beam all your RAW files directly to a PC or laptop and never have to change SD cards. You would have to be fairly confident in the technology though to use it this way.
03-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The 'Endless Memory' mode could be useful in a studio or at a wedding. Beam all your RAW files directly to a PC or laptop and never have to change SD cards. You would have to be fairly confident in the technology though to use it this way.
Confident in the technology and a bit suicidal perhaps.
Considering the amount of files that a modern card can hold and the ease with which card changes can be done, I'd rather not take my chances with this sort of technology when it comes to something as important as a wedding.
03-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ditto it being useful in studio...if you've ever tried shots of food, you'd have similar problems...it's hard telling what's in focus on the tiny little screen on the back of the camera...