Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 04:14 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do think that the K7 should be on your list. The high iso isn't bad. I feel comfortable shooting iso 1600 on a regular basis and 3200 if I'm not going to print too big. The video is really nice. As far as video goes, you are better off going with older manual focus lenses anyway. Newer lenses without good manual focusing features (read the CAnon primes you mentioned) will be very difficult to use with video.

Not sure about the lens prices in Australia. In the US, for equivalent quality lenses, Pentax is at or below Canon's prices. Not certain that those lenses mentioned will be particularly fast focusing either. Where you get into faster focusing is the upper end, ring driven USM lenses, everyone of which will run you better than a thousand dollars.

03-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by khaz0r Quote
At first, I did some thorough research as I usually do before purchasing something pricey. There were rave reviews on the K200D from everywhere. When I went to the shop I picked it up and played with it. It felt pretty good in my hand. Very sturdy and I felt secure that the camera was weatherproof. So It was an easier purchase. What I did not realise at that time was how expensive the lenses were... haha
What ya mean? the lenses were probably cheap back then.
03-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #33
Veteran Member

At first, I did some thorough research as I usually do before purchasing something pricey... What I did not realise at that time was how expensive the lenses were... haha
When I did my (extensive) research before buying my first dSLR two years ago, I was lead to Pentax and the K20D precisely because the lenses I wanted (10-17, 18-250, 50/1.4) cost less from Pentax than comparable lenses from any other firm. Lens prices aren't exactly kept secret. Since then I've bought ONE new lens and MANY old lenses. You needn't buy the latest and greatest from any camera/lens maker. Get what you need that will do what you want. Even LBA can be managed.
03-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Those were the exact primes I was thinking of getting if I switched over.

Canon EF 50/1.8 $110
Canon EF 35/2 $372
(for reference purposes only: Canon EF 50/1.4 $412)

Pentax FA 50/1.4 $461
Pentax FA 35/2 $$654

The prices for Pentax lenses are so expensive...
Unfortunately that's true... What you save on a body, you gonna loose 2X the same amount (if not more) on every quality Pentax lens... Hoya, for some obscure reason, thinks that they can charge big-boy's prices... Instead they should expand their lens lineup and fix the damned SDM...

Having done some really extensive prices comparison lately as I was considering getting back to Pentax... I'd suggest going with Canon... You won't loose anything besides SR, and you'll recover the price difference after first "real" lens purchase... But please stay clear of the 50/1.8... it's a piece of crap... If you gonna get the 35/2 (I would) get the 85/1.8 instead of a 50..

03-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the big area where Pentax still has a price advantage is with higher end zooms. If you compare the DA 16-50 to the Canon 17-55 (B and H prices), the Canon is 300 dollars more. The same is true if you compare the 50-135 to the 70-200 zooms out there.

The 50 f1.8 from Canon is not worth buying. Sure, it is one hundred dollars, but it suffers in so many regards, you are far better saving a little and buying the Canon 50 mm f1.4 if you go that route.

Just remember when comparing prices to compare apples to apples. It is a mistake to compare an entry level prime to a much better lens from another company.
03-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I feel there's a lot of unecessary 50mm f1.8 hate here. Yes, it's cheaply constructed, and no, it's not terribly sharp wide-open... but it's a great lens to learn with and if you know what you're doing you can most certainly get excellent results from it. Based on all the excellent photographs in the world taken by those who could only afford the 1.8 instead of the 1.4, I'd say it's certainly worth buying for many.
03-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Based on all the excellent photographs in the world taken by those who could only afford the 1.8 instead of the 1.4, I'd say it's certainly worth buying for many.
Only if you can get the original, MK1 version...

03-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #38

In my experience the only people who post on forums that they don't care if their camera can do high ISO are people who have cameras that can't do high ISO (at least not very well). I know because I used to be one of those people!

Now that I have the K-X, I still don't worry or care about ISO, but that's because I don't have to worry about it anymore. Most of the time it's on auto with a range from 200-3200. I don't care what it ends up at most of the time because it's clean all the way up to 3200. It can even be squeaked higher. There are times that I will purposely set it for 200 or 400, but that's just out of habit. With the K-X it simply doesn't matter.

I will now be hating life if I have to go back to a camera that I have to worry about ISO.
03-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My bad, I didn't realize your from australia. Here in the US the Pentax FA 50mm costs ~$350 (roughly the same as the canon 50mm F/1.4 here), and the FA 35mm is discontinued therefore not fair to pair up against similar but in production lenses. Also the FA 35 smokes them optically.
03-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Internetpilot Quote
In my experience the only people who post on forums that they don't care if their camera can do high ISO are people who have cameras that can't do high ISO (at least not very well). I know because I used to be one of those people!

Now that I have the K-X, I still don't worry or care about ISO, but that's because I don't have to worry about it anymore. Most of the time it's on auto with a range from 200-3200. I don't care what it ends up at most of the time because it's clean all the way up to 3200. It can even be squeaked higher. There are times that I will purposely set it for 200 or 400, but that's just out of habit. With the K-X it simply doesn't matter.
I will now be hating life if I have to go back to a camera that I have to worry about ISO.
Two key points....
I dont need to say anything for the first but the second:
Thats not true at all. I don't care what DSLR you use IQ when using ISO 200 will always be better than at 400. Likewise IQ will always be better at ISO 400 than 800. So yes it simply does matter even with the K-x....
03-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Two key points....
I dont need to say anything for the first but the second:
Thats not true at all. I don't care what DSLR you use IQ when using ISO 200 will always be better than at 400. Likewise IQ will always be better at ISO 400 than 800. So yes it simply does matter even with the K-x....
...and that's why I normally leave mine set to ISO 100, because the image quality there (false low ISO with some fancy histogram tricks=amazing) is just so good. But the point is that while ISO 100 and 200 may be better than 1600 and 3200, those higher ISOs are now comfortable to use. It always surprises me when I get done working an image that I thought was probably at ISO 200 and I check and discover that it's actually an ISO 800 or 1600 image. K20D, 40D, E-330... none of them gave me those surprises. Usually more on the lines of "why is the noise so bad in this exposure at only ISO 400?" (and I know how to expose for a clean file).
03-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I'll just leave this here.... the top 4 APS-C equivalent cameras in the DXOMark RAW sensor database. Overall, and by category.

derived from dxomark.com, via photo.net

It doesn't cover all the various camera features etc, but DXOMark does tell a lot about IQ.
03-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'll just leave this here.... the top 4 APS-C equivalent cameras in the DXOMark RAW sensor database. Overall, and by category.

derived from dxomark.com, via photo.net

It doesn't cover all the various camera features etc, but DXOMark does tell a lot about IQ.
While I don't place a lot of stock in DxOmark's numeric ratings (the charts are far more useful), it is worth noting that the D90, D5000, and K-x, all of which share the same sensor with minor variations in data-path circuitry, truly dominate the APS-C ratings.

However, by my own evaluations, the noise from the 7D/T2i sensor is easier to deal with by a small margin. The T2i isn't on this chart, but it was recently added and does quite well on DxOmark, so I wouldn't call it a smashing victory in this comparison.
03-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Agreed, there's not a lot between the K-x and the 7D and even the 550D. The respectable performance of the K-x across all criteria is just worth noting in the context of this thread, I guess.

Canon 550D:
65.6 Overall
11.6 Dynamic Range
22 Colour Depth
807 Low-light ISO.

I did LOL hard at the DXOMark scores of the [full-frame] Leica M9 though:

68.6 Overall
11.7 Dynamic Range
22.5 Colour Depth
884 Low-light ISO.

Not good for the price.
03-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Not good according to DxOmark, perhaps, but it still delivers excellent image quality. It certainly outresolves any APS-C sensor to date, and even if it's only around the same as the upper-crop APS-C offerings in terms of DR, color depth, and noise, the fact that it accepts M-mount lenses with no crop factor makes all the difference for some.