Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
To have it cost as much as a K-x, it would have to be SEVERELY used. As far as I can tell, if a current camera still operates as it should, it tends to sell for almost the same amount used as new. Just look at what people are asking for K-7's in the marketplace of this forum. Same goes with lenses.
Agree completely in most markets (including the US), yeah.

QuoteQuote:
They'd have to be for the D90 to cost as much as a K-x. Not even in the same class...
I'm pretty sure their prices are jacked up - seem to remember debating the value of the K-7 with somebody who was comparing it to cameras that cost nearly twice as much, and then it transpired that they were in SA and making comparisons based solely on their local pricing.

04-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Interesting piece on autofocus - Curing the autofocus blues - The main points are:

1. Stop blaming inanimate objects.
2. Find the contrast. (don't shoot blanks)
3. Focus on something parallel to, and bigger than, the AF marking in the viewfinder.
4. Close the loop. (go continuous)
5. Randomize it. (refocus between shots)
6. Set for focus priority. (program line)
7. Keep your distance. (close AF sucks)
8. (something Nikon-specific; huh?)
9. Follow through! Don't jerk the camera...
10. Spend the money?! (dump the Mavica)

Anything more would be plagiarism, so read the article.
04-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The upcoming 645D has the new SAFOX AF system. Likely it will also be in the K7 II

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
Anybody tried the K-7 on Sigma 2,8 70-200 HSM?
No?
Do it,you will see what the K-7 wants to do with Pentax lenses
Hope for a new,faster sdm in near future.
But is the version for Pentax, with ring-type sonic motor ? (so the same HSM as the Nikon and Canon version)

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Interesting piece on autofocus - Curing the autofocus blues - The main points are:

1. Stop blaming inanimate objects.
2. Find the contrast. (don't shoot blanks)
3. Focus on something parallel to, and bigger than, the AF marking in the viewfinder.
4. Close the loop. (go continuous)
5. Randomize it. (refocus between shots)
6. Set for focus priority. (program line)
7. Keep your distance. (close AF sucks)
8. (something Nikon-specific; huh?)
9. Follow through! Don't jerk the camera...
10. Spend the money?! (dump the Mavica)

Anything more would be plagiarism, so read the article.
Thanks for the link, a good read.

Nice tip, also this one :
If you can't focus it with a traditional SLR focusing aid (split prism, microprism, etc), you can't do it with autofocus. The only cheat is to use a flash that projects focusing lines on the subject.

The focus-priority of high-end Nikon systems, is really helpful. Wish Pentax would incorporate it as well
04-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
The upcoming 645D has the new SAFOX AF system. Likely it will also be in the K7 II
Actually the 645D has pretty much the same SAFOX VIII+ system as used in the K-7, with the most minor tweaks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
But is the version for Pentax, with ring-type sonic motor ? (so the same HSM as the Nikon and Canon version)
What are you talking about? HSM is HSM, it's the exact same technology on all camera mounts. It's a Sigma-specific focus driving technology. Last I checked, HSM was ring-type.

Last edited by GoremanX; 04-01-2010 at 06:49 PM.
04-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #35
Veteran Member

" When will we see a new, better AF system from Pentax?"

The obvious next question is: better than what? My new K-7 focuses way better than my K10D. It also beats the K-x quite handily and is on a par with the Nikon D300s and Canon 7D in terms of AF-S, or it is so close that any difference is negligible. Low light focusing is excellent, IMO. I can get accurate focus in near darkness. The K-7 lags the other brands in AF-C, it is true. Is that something that matters greatly to you? Do you do much action shooting? If so, get a Nikon or Canon. If not, consider upgrading to a K-7. At current prices, it is hard to go wrong with that camera.

Rob
04-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Actually the 645D has pretty much the same SAFOX VIII+ system as used in the K-7, with the most minor tweaks..
I have not yet seen any reviews of the 645D, comparing the AF of the new SAFOX 9+, to the SAFOX 8+ in the K7.

On DPr there were several wedding shooters, with Pentax kit. Some found dual system too cumbersome, so went entirely with Fuji instead.

Albert Siegel also went for the Nikon D80, before returning to Pentax :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/599731-post34.html

I also remember one, who grabbed some photos from a wedding, which was covered by a hired Canon shooter. In the end, it turned out that the Canon newbie didn’t have any quality work to show for the effort. So the few pictures that the Pentaxian crabbed, were all that the couple had for the day.
So my general advice would be, no matter what camera or brand you use, don’t agree to shot an important formal ceremony, unless you’re familiar with your gear.
Many have had trouble with the AF system of the Eos 7D, simply because it takes its time to get used to.
And another Pentaxian went for the Nikon D300 to shoot motor races. But to start out with, didn't see any improvement in his work. Simply because he hadn't gotten to grabs with the camera yet.

For the OP; here was one Pro, commenting his work from high-end Nikon cams, and Eos 1D mark III series, to Pentax :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/905596-post95.html

Last edited by Jonson PL; 04-04-2010 at 01:37 PM.