Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
I don't know much about the inside bits of camera, but I'm guessing having all these more external controls and things like better AF means you need more space inside (at least with current technology, obviously the k-7 is better than the K10D whilst being smaller)? Someone might know more about that.
The K-7 has a more sophisticated anti-shake mechanism, a piezoelectric dust reduction system rather than the sensor-shift shake that's used to remove dust in the K-x, and like you noted has a more sophisticated AF system (dedicated AF assist lamp, external light temperature sensor). I don't know how much size and weight these add, but I'm sure they account for at least a portion of the difference...

04-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
k7 is little be big than kx, but i think k7 get better handle.
04-08-2010, 03:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, i didnt think the difference between the 2 was so great.
04-08-2010, 04:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Wow, i didnt think the difference between the 2 was so great.
The difference between the two cameras is nowhere near as much as these pictures make it look. Body-only, the K-7 is only 0.3 x 0.2 x 0.2 inches larger. Using NiMH rechargeables, there's only a few ounces difference in weight, as well.

04-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Size aside, how much more solid, sturdy, and "meaty" does the K-7 feel over the K-x? I continually find myself afraid I'm going to break the K-x as it feels too plasticky.
Maybe it's just me, and speaks to some hidden childhood trauma in my past, but I have to say that the K-7 on a monopod feels like you could really NAIL a jerk, if you really needed to.

Just something to keep in mind if you go to many group photo outings...
04-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K7
Weight: 750 grams
Deminsions: 131x97x73mm

Kx
580 grams
deminsions: 123x92x68mm
04-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
regardless

Regardless of the "official specs" this is what I have experienced.

-The K-7 has a much better feel in my hand and feels bigger however the K-x is my go-to camera for its light weight and compact size.
-The K-7 performs much worse at high ISO. The K-x beats the K-7 hands down at +800ISO. I only bring the K-x if I am shooting at night.
-The K-7 autofocus performs much better than the K-x. I have consistently gotten more focused shots with the K-7
-The K-7 has a steeper learning curve. More custom settings than the K-x, this can be a good or a bad thing.
-The K-7 is weatherproof, the K-x is not.

I could go on and on.

In my experience I actually only bring my K-7 on "serious" shoots, I want better quality and more options. The K-7 fits a certain niche, although at night forget it. The K-x though, is my go-to bring everywhere camera.

The K-x is always on my side for every day usability. The K-7 is my pro shot camera. Although I would say that I have captured a higher number of great shots with my k-x than I have with my k-7. But maybe that is only because I have used the K-x more. I don't know.

04-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kxuser Quote
-The K-7 autofocus performs much better than the K-x. I have consistently gotten more focused shots with the K-7
Then perhaps there is an alignment issue with your K-x, if your comparison is being made with the same lens. The K7 and K-x share the same 11 point AF system.
04-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
Then perhaps there is an alignment issue with your K-x, if your comparison is being made with the same lens. The K7 and K-x share the same 11 point AF system.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/84038-auto-focus-better-k7-k-x.html
04-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Interesting. I've found that my K-x feels like it focuses slightly more quickly than my old K2000, although according to that thread that is not necessarily the case. There's enough variables, I think, in terms of lens, batteries, lighting that one would have to be diligent in making a good comparison.

from DPReview:

QuoteQuote:
It (K-x) gains the K-7's 11-point AF system
But Marc's point about the K7 getting more power to the focus motor makes sense, due to the battery. My K-x is slightly - though noticeably - faster focusing when I use fresh lithium batteries as opposed to Rayovac hybrids.

Even given that the K7 may (anecdotally) have slightly faster AF than the K-x, that doesn't support kxuser's statement:

QuoteQuote:
The K-7 autofocus performs much better than the K-x. I have consistently gotten more focused shots with the K-7
04-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I think it's kind of funny that the entry level camera is bigger than the prosumer camera in some ways, but then the K-x could have been smaller if Pentax hadn't just used the body of the K-m for it.
04-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
autofocus

To clarify,
I feel that when using the 11 point autofocus mode having the visual confirmation in the viewfinder of the K-7 I am more likely to know what the camera is actually focused on as opposed to the the K-x.

On my K-x I always use the focus/recompose technique, so that I know exactly what I am focused on.

So the result of more in-focus images with the K-7, may just be an effect of my awareness of where the camera is actually going to focus.
04-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I don't own a K-7, but I have to honestly say that my K-x is about as small as I would find comfortable in a DSLR. You don't buy a K-x to hang a big hunk of glass off of it. It was made for the DA primes or a compact zoom. I recently shot an entire evening without taking the DA40 from it or touching the other lenses in my bag. This body and that lens just mate.

Actually, the K10/20 class of bodies is the best body I've found for a long or heavy lens. The K10d plus a K series tele handles perfectly.
04-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the actual size the real issue. Though I am surprised at the evident difference, (The k-X does indeed look smaller) doesn't the issue between the two come down to technical points : MP"s/SR/Weatherproofing/Dust Removal System.
The difference in technical areas should be the deciding factor, to me at least.
04-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kxuser Quote
To clarify,
I feel that when using the 11 point autofocus mode having the visual confirmation in the viewfinder of the K-7 I am more likely to know what the camera is actually focused on as opposed to the the K-x.

On my K-x I always use the focus/recompose technique, so that I know exactly what I am focused on.

So the result of more in-focus images with the K-7, may just be an effect of my awareness of where the camera is actually going to focus.
Don't let the camera decide focus. You decide focus.

Except for subject tracking, that is.