Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K-x and K-7 size comparison

I was always interested about the size difference between the kx and the k7. Unable to find any good comparisons online I decided to do it my own. I was able to get my hands on a K-7 and put it next to the K-x for some comparison photos.

Here it is.

First impression... wow the K-7 is a sturdy camera.

03-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that the comparison is not flattering and biased. The lenses are so different for example ... the k-x has a small lens and the K-7 is bigger lens.

I tried both the K-x and K-7 with the 18-55WR and later with the 18-250mm. At the time I also tried the D90. Here are my thoughts.

The K-x and K-7 with the 18-55WR are very close compared to the D90 with the canon IS kit lens. The differences in size between K-x and K-7 are relatively small and personal feels might differ. The K-x is slightly smaller than the K-7 but the buttons are more cramped than those of the K-7. The touch of the K-x feels more plastic than the K-7 and D90. The K-7 was the more sturdy body. The grip of both K-x and K-7 is very good.

With the 18-250mm, I feel that the K-7 is better balanced than the K-x. The size and weight of the K-x with the 18-250mm is nearly identical to that of the K-7 with the 18-250mm. Since I use the 18-250mm as my primary lens, I see no size difference between Kx+18-2500 + K7+18-250. Both fit in the same type of top loader bag.

In conclusion: if you use a pan cake lens, the K-x will have a size advantage if "smaller is better". If you use a heavier lens (eg 18-250mm), there is little size difference and the weight balance is nicer with the K-7.

Hope that the comment will help...
03-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, I realized the photos were pretty biased at first using the tiny 50mm lens on the k-x, so I added photos of the k-x with the kit lens. These are the only 2 lenses that I have that are relatively close in size.

I agree, they are very close in size to each other, but feel totally different in your hand. Although the k-x with a small lens on it feels easy, light, and quick.
03-26-2010, 04:52 AM   #4

Hi kxuser,

Thanks for that comparison, as I was also interested in.

I have to say, it is very difficult to make an opinion by viewing theses photos as both cameras are not alined perfectly (one is always closer to than the other one) or other small details (the tripod fast-grip left on the kx) that makes it difficult.

I think they should also be shot from more distance (the angle is a bit tricky).

It's a long way to do professional camera comparison

Thanks anyway for doing this and also having taken in account previous comments.

03-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Interesting comparison, but as pointed out, it is needed that both cameras have the same size lens.
03-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A better comparison would probably be to mount the camera taking the photos on a tripod and carefully align it to shoot straight-on photos of the front, side and top of each camera - then shoot identical photos of both cameras in the same positions with the same lens mounted, side by side.

Having shot both myself, I was surprised the difference in size wasn't greater (and even more so the difference in weight).

The K-7 is really an incredibly small and trim camera, for the features it packs in.
03-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hard to believe the K-x is so small given how small the K-7 already is...

03-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for checking it out.

Well, since I couldn't really find that many photos of the two cameras together, I just took some quick snaps with an old point and shoot. I agree they are FAR from professional, but I hope they give an idea. I am more interested in taking photos with the cameras, than taking photos of the cameras!

And yes, the two cameras are very close in size.
03-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
emr

Wow, that K-x is really small. I have a K20D and when I handled a K-7 in a store, even that felt so small and compact. OK, I also have a K200D, but while it is smaller than the K20D, it does not give that feeling of "compactness" the K-7 does.
03-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Main difference with the K200D is the extra-chunky grip. Took a few days to get used to after my DS. Now I've come to rather like it, but I could get used to a K-7 easily enough, too.
03-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't handled the kx, but I have used a km (k2000) and it is small and quite light weight. K7 is between the size of the K2000 and the K20, but truthfully, weight wise it is closer to the K20 -- just a lot more solid. I guess that is the mag alloy frame that is inside. Both sweet cameras.
03-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Size aside, how much more solid, sturdy, and "meaty" does the K-7 feel over the K-x? I continually find myself afraid I'm going to break the K-x as it feels too plasticky.
03-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Haven't handled the K-x, but the K-7 is a remarkably well built and small body. This is a good comparison for those Pentax users choosing between these two models, but the big deal here for me is how much the K-7 crams into a body that size. It's a very significant amount smaller than comparable models, the D300S and 7D. It's a decent bit smaller than my old K10D.

Body wise, it gets a lot more user controls into a body not that much bigger than the K-x. I think the biggest differences in size would be due to the K-7's better viewfinder, top LCD, front finger dial, larger and better LCD, more dedicated buttons, as well as sealing and strong build/chassis. I don't know much about the inside bits of camera, but I'm guessing having all these more external controls and things like better AF means you need more space inside (at least with current technology, obviously the k-7 is better than the K10D whilst being smaller)? Someone might know more about that.

noahpurdy, K-7 is the most well built Pentax DSLR to date. I thought my K10D felt sturdy, but the K-7 feels more metallic (as it is), and very tight. There's a lot crammed into it. It's very solid, but small. Like emr said, gives a real feel of compactness - I'm guessing more the K-x would because the K-7 is heavier and built better.
03-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
compared to the D90 with the canon IS kit lens.
Wow! I never thought about using a Canon lens on a Nikon!
03-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
very meaty

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Size aside, how much more solid, sturdy, and "meaty" does the K-7 feel over the K-x? I continually find myself afraid I'm going to break the K-x as it feels too plasticky.
You are not going to break the K-x (unless you drop it), but the K-7 feels extremely nice in your hand. Much more solid than the K-x. Which is to be expected, you are jumping from an entry level DSLR to a semi-pro DSLR. Weather sealing and dust proofing. The build quality of both are real nice, but the K-7 definitely has the rugged feel to it. Its solid. As far as sturdiness I find that it feels more steady in my hands, but it may just be due to the smoother shutter. After adding the battery grip to the camera it feels even more solid, sturdy and meaty.

You know how everyone says that the K-7 is "built like a tank". Well it is.