Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
tethered shooting with K20D

Lightroom 3b2 apparently supports tethered shooting with selected Canon and Nikon cameras. I've never tried to shoot tethered but I'm jealous and decided I would try to make it work. I found a thread here that explains that I can use the Pentax Remote Assistant to get the images to my computer, then set up a "watched folder" in Lightroom, and have the files imported that way. Conceptually it sounds pretty straightforward.

But I can't get anywhere. I went here

Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX

and downloaded the Pentax Remote Assistant (v3.5.1). Ran the installer on my Windows XP laptop. Was told that I needed to insert a CD. Not sure why. The only CD I can find is one that came with my K10D and has Photo Browser and Photo Laboratory on it. Anyway, the Remote Assistant installer didn't recognize this CD as what it was looking for. So I'm completely stymied. I can't install the Remote Assistant.

Can anybody explain what I need to do and, as it appears there are multiple steps, in what order I need to follow the steps?

I do have the usb cable and have tried connecting the K20D to my laptop. The laptop recognized that the camera was connected. While the camera was connected, I could not control the camera directly at all—could not take a photo or do anything else. So I am assuming that you connect the camera, launch the RA software and control the camera from within the software. Is that right?

Will

03-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Can't speak for the K10D but my new K20D came with two CDs, one just for the remote assistant. Thats what you are missing I suppose... seems like downloading it should work however as it can only be used with Pentax dSLRs anyways why make the user have a CD. Dig around for it or call Pentax and see if they can help.
03-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Lightroom 3b2 apparently supports tethered shooting with selected Canon and Nikon cameras. I've never tried to shoot tethered but I'm jealous and decided I would try to make it work. I found a thread here that explains that I can use the Pentax Remote Assistant to get the images to my computer, then set up a "watched folder" in Lightroom, and have the files imported that way. Conceptually it sounds pretty straightforward.

But I can't get anywhere. I went here

Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX

and downloaded the Pentax Remote Assistant (v3.5.1). Ran the installer on my Windows XP laptop. Was told that I needed to insert a CD. Not sure why. The only CD I can find is one that came with my K10D and has Photo Browser and Photo Laboratory on it. Anyway, the Remote Assistant installer didn't recognize this CD as what it was looking for. So I'm completely stymied. I can't install the Remote Assistant.

Can anybody explain what I need to do and, as it appears there are multiple steps, in what order I need to follow the steps?

I do have the usb cable and have tried connecting the K20D to my laptop. The laptop recognized that the camera was connected. While the camera was connected, I could not control the camera directly at all—could not take a photo or do anything else. So I am assuming that you connect the camera, launch the RA software and control the camera from within the software. Is that right?

Will
Put the utilities cd in and install the utility it needs browser 3 to run Remote assistant