Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #1

Pentax K-X in White or Black?

Ok so I am getting my first DSLR and without a doubt the one I want is the Pentax K-X. Unfortunately i dont have the option to see one in person and I am terrible about making decisions about something like the color. Any thoughts? Do you all think the white version looks a bit "toyish" in person. I know some people have speculated about the white one getting dirty easier but i wonder if any of you that have this camera have encountered this problem. As soon as I can decide this I am going to order it and I am pretty freaking excited being that ive never had a camera that allows me to do so much manual adjustments, much less HD video!

03-25-2010, 11:42 PM   #2

The local Frys near me had one in white when I went to check it out and compare it to other cameras in person... I ordered the black one.

To me, the white one definitely looked more "plastic-y". I think it's because the white one is fairly glossy, while the black one has a bit of a texture on it making it look more like a magnesium-bodied cameras...

I know a lot of people love their colored K-x's (they DO look unique and kinda cool, and heck, Pentax even sells it in 100 different color combinations in Japan), but to me it did make it look a bit "cheap"...

Last edited by Iceburg98; 03-26-2010 at 12:28 AM.
03-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If your going for the black one just get the 55-300mm bundle w/ the Kx black
03-26-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
Forum Member

I have the white K-x. I love it.

Honestly, black is dime a dozen these days and the white really stands apart from the crowd.

I've also had MANY compliments on the camera and how it "must be really expensive to have a custom Pentax". I chuckle and tell them it was money well spent.

Just my $0.02

03-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Depends what you need it for. Personally, I'd run for the hills from a coloured camera. But that's because I want a camera that's as inconspicuous as possible. I'd just say to think about if a white camera will get in the way of the images you want to capture. If it won't, go for it.
03-26-2010, 02:03 AM   #6

I agree with CWyatt , but you can't go wrong either way. Just keep in mind that white will get more attention (both wanted and unwanted).
03-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the White and it isn't cold white but off white and looks really nice. I felt the photos never did it justice and it looks so much better in reality.
03-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #8

Ask yourself what color in general you like more: black or white? Order accordingly. Honestly, the COLOR of your camera should be the last thing you're worried about. Pentax has been behind the curve in the digital world, and they're trying to compensate by offering more options; in this case color (which doesn't matter at all). As it is your first DSLR, you should be more concerned about understanding all the functions and possibilities of the camera instead of merely what it looks like. Buy, READ the manual, and enjoy!

03-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thanatos Quote
Pentax has been behind the curve in the digital world, and they're trying to compensate by offering more options
I disagree. Just because they're not sold as often as Canikon, doesn't mean they're not as good.

Pound for pound the K-x kicks Canikon's rear. But this is beating a dead horse and I'm just another Pentax fanboy lol

03-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by FattyMcJ Quote
I disagree. Just because they're not sold as often as Canikon, doesn't mean they're not as good.

Pound for pound the K-x kicks Canikon's rear. But this is beating a dead horse and I'm just another Pentax fanboy lol

I should clarify. I didn't mean Pentax is not up to par. It's just that their advertising campaign is less than optimal, for whatever reasons. Because of this, I think they came out with the idea of offering colors to attract would-be-first-time-DSLR-owners. Nothing wrong with that at all. I was just saying to the OP that if you're serious, understanding and applying the capabilities of your future camera far outweighs arguing about what color is "better".
03-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Thanatos Quote
I should clarify. I didn't mean Pentax is not up to par. It's just that their advertising campaign is less than optimal, for whatever reasons. Because of this, I think they came out with the idea of offering colors to attract would-be-first-time-DSLR-owners. Nothing wrong with that at all. I was just saying to the OP that if you're serious, understanding and applying the capabilities of your future camera far outweighs arguing about what color is "better".
Ah yes, indeed. A few commercials and Pentax would be right up there with Canikon IMO. Oh well, Pentax right now feels more like a Photographer's brand and less of a "Popular" brand. I like that.

Features > Color

White > Black
03-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I like the black better
03-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #13

Original Poster
well i have researched this camera alot and have no doubt its the best value for me. i know the color doesnt matter that much but at the same time im going to have this thing for years and i just cant seem to hit the order button because of the color decision. i think ill just look at two next to each other in a picture and decide on one by tomorrow.
03-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
Forum Member

^Classy___________________ ^Holy smokes look at me! ___________^The "norm"

yes I'm bored tonight lol
03-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #15
Forum Member

I have the white one and to me it is more clean and elegant then the black one. but in the end they all do the same thing, buy one any color and you won't be disappointed