Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 And Infrared Digital Filter - Does It Compare?

I was hoping some of you could give us comments and suggestions concerning the infrared filter tool of the K-7 compared with other tools such as infrared converted digital bodies and infrared filters for lenses.
Can some of you with practical experience with lens mounted IR filters, IR film or IR converted digital bodies give suggestions on how the monochrome IR post processing digital filter of the K-7 compares with any of the other IR tricks and give us suggestions for white balance and any other tips to get great IR shots using the digital filter of the K-7?

03-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The digital filter is an effect, a simulation. It's not really infrared. Virtually all digital cameras have an optical "hot filter" in front of the sensor, to block IR. Certain Sigma and Fuji 'forensic' cameras, and Sony NightShot cameras, have a means of removing that hot filter. But to record IR images, you need an optical IR-pass filter that blocks visible light and. The in-camera digital filter doesn't do that; it's basically a red filter with further darkening. Search the forums here for INFRARED to see how to really do IR photography.

(I just got up and am on my first cup of coffee, otherwise'd I'd probably blather about IR for awhile. But I'm not awake yet. You'll just have to search.)
03-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So that is one vote for "not very well".

Yes I have read a few of the other threads on infrared but before I struggle to get a grasp on using an IR filter on lenses and customizing a white balance, I just wondered if the K-7's effect filter would provide something close to those "real IR' images.
What little I have done with the K-7 so far has not impressed me with the IR effect but I may have overlooked something as well.
03-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Let's try this from a more technical point of view without making it too hard.

Pretty much all bodies (objects) emit radiation. This radiation is heat and light you could say. Does that mean we glow in the dark? Yes and no. We emit infra-red light, infra coming from latin which means something like below (can't remember the exact translation) and with special cameras we can see this. This can also cause visual disturbances in normal cameras and that is why IR filters (for removing IR) are placed in front of the sensors of cameras since they can see IR.

Since IR is produced by or bounced off of objects it is very specific to the object you are viewing. This cannot be reproduced with technology unless the camera itself is not programmed to understand exactly what you're looking at, how hot it is etc.

That's why it will never look real with software filters.

03-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I just wondered if the K-7's effect filter would provide something close to those "real IR' images.
What StarDust said:

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
...it will never look real with software filters.
Filters block out radiation that's there. They can't add radiation that isn't there. The "hof filter" has already blocked a substantial amount of IR. The only way to see IR, without removing that IR-blocker, is to use a filter that blocks visible light and passes IR. This requires rather long exposures on an unmodified camera, depending on just how much visible light is blocked. Et cetera.

Here's an overview: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/93743-k-x-infra...tml#post955056