Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2010, 02:59 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
The part about JPGs sounds very wrong -
are you actually using PhotoME on the original and unedited JPGs from your Pentax dSLR (which model BTW?)
or on a JPG that you converted or edited using PS Elements (via ACR)?

Nope, I just tried with PEF files from a K100D and K-x and both do show the lens info using >File info >Camera Data 1.

So now the question is which Pentax dSLR are you using (or is it a secret)?

If it is one of the later models like the K-x or K7 you may be using a version of Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) which does not fully understand/support your dSLR.

The latest version of ACR for PS Elements 7.0 is ACR 5.6

Anyway PhotoME will show the lens info on any original UNedited photo file from any Pentax dSLR,
These are JPGs edited in PS Elements. I don't know what is the version of ACR that I have but am going to check the address that you have given.
Regarding the camera, promise you won't tell anyone else; I am using a K20D
Cheers

03-27-2010, 03:02 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I mark the EOPS (end-of-pano sequence) with a shot of something else in the other orientation, just to be sure. As for the lens thang, if it's a serious matter of keeping track of which lens shot what, I just shoot the next lens! That way I know just which manual 135 or 50 or 200 was the culprit, cause there's a picture of it in the image stream.
The lens thing is not a big deal at all, it was just out of curiosity. I was checking out some shots I had taken and wasn't sure what lens I had used so decided to look at the EXIF data but instead of the RAW files , looks like I was looking at the JPGs.
03-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Naim Khan Quote
These are JPGs edited in PS Elements. I don't know what is the version of ACR that I have but am going to check the address that you have given.
Regarding the camera, promise you won't tell anyone else; I am using a K20D
LoL! nice one, I'll keep it a secret that you have a K20D !

Now you know why you don't see the lens in the JPG -
it's because the JPGs are not the original out of the camera UNedited JPGs - Elements strips the lens info when it saves converted RAW/PEF file as my own experiment above shows -

If however you took the pic with a paired JPG (RAW+) - PhotoME will show the lens info on that original out of the camera UNedited JPG

If you don't have original out of the camera UNedited JPGs, then your obvious solution is to just look at the original PEF file with PhotoME...... sorry to be so pedantic.

As for not being able to see the lens info in a PEF file in Elements 7 -
sounds like a mystery to me why I can see the lens info for a K100D and K-x and you cannot for a K20D (could being a secret have any bearing?)
- I would still suggest it's worth your while updating your version of ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) -
to the latest version 5.6 -

Install Camera Raw 5.6 for Photoshop Elements 8 and 7 on Windows

then see if you can see the lens info on a PEF in Elements?
03-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #19

Original Poster
.. deleted..

As for not being able to see the lens info in a PEF file in Elements 7 -
sounds like a mystery to me why I can see the lens info for a K100D and K-x and you cannot for a K20D (could being a secret have any bearing?)
- I would still suggest it's worth your while updating your version of ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) -
to the latest version 5.6 -

then see if you can see the lens info on a PEF in Elements?
Yes, I've upgraded the ACR version and will let you know once I have processed any photos.

03-28-2010, 04:50 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am just going to repeat what I said before. As far as I can tell, if you use Save As when converting RAW to Jpeg in Photoshop Elements 7, the metadata should remain intact. All of my lenses show up under Camera info when I look in Elements 7. I understand that a couple of the most recent lenses (DA*55 and 60-250 wouldn't), but the lenses I own are read by the software.
03-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am just going to repeat what I said before. As far as I can tell, if you use Save As when converting RAW to Jpeg in Photoshop Elements 7, the metadata should remain intact. All of my lenses show up under Camera info when I look in Elements 7. I understand that a couple of the most recent lenses (DA*55 and 60-250 wouldn't), but the lenses I own are read by the software.

Sorry to contradict - I'll also repeat that I did Save As using Elements 7.0 (and I am experienced at doing this) I don't know why but I do NOT retain the lens info.

I definitely see the lens info when I open the original out of the camera unedited file in Elements 7.0 -
and after doing a Save As - most of the EXIF is there including camera, exposure info, focal length etc -
but I cannot find the lens info even using PhotoME search on "lens".

Here are two examples I shot a paired RAW/DNG+JPG opened them both in Elements 7.0 just now - I can definitely see the lens info in Elements 7.0 on both.

All I then did was to resize the photos and added the text to identify them - then Save As JPGs -
as can be seen from the filenames they have "copy" in them which is the Elements default naming convention I just added the JPG and DNG in the names to distinguish them.
No other editing, and I did not edit the EXIF metadata - they are literally as-is from my copy of Elements 7.0

The RAW/DNG converted version:

JPG version:

both still have EXIF still attached (caveat - PhotoBucket can sometimes mysteriously drop metadata) -
please open them in PhotoME and do a search on "lens" -
as I said I cannot see the lens info.

What gives?

Last edited by UnknownVT; 03-28-2010 at 02:16 PM.
03-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #22

Original Poster
Can I come back again as well guys? I have just processed a shot taken with my K20 yesterday. The lens I used was a Sigma 18-50 EX. After processing in ACR ver. 5.6, I checked the info in PS Elements 7, both as the PEF file and then after I had saved it as as JPG. In both cases, I got the focal length and the name of the lens but no other detail, i.e. no mention of what is the focal length of the lens. In contrast with PhotoME, I got all the lens data with the PEF file but focal length, aperture and shutter speed with the JPG file.

03-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Can I come back again as well guys? I have just processed a shot taken with my K20 yesterday. The lens I used was a Sigma 18-50 EX. After processing in ACR ver. 5.6, I checked the info in PS Elements 7, both as the PEF file and then after I had saved it as as JPG. In both cases, I got the focal length and the name of the lens but no other detail, i.e. no mention of what is the focal length of the lens. In contrast with PhotoME, I got all the lens data with the PEF file but focal length, aperture and shutter speed with the JPG file.
Great input - this really further deepens the mystery -
Rondec retains lens info when saved as from Elements 7.0 -
I seem to lose it - don't know why -
now you're reporting retention of lens info but loss of other data -

what is going on?

Can you and Rondec please post small sized JPGs with the EXIF still attached
so we can all see the differences to the samples I posted please?
03-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #24

Original Poster
Hey UnknownVT,
Its close to midnight now - I am beat and am going to bed. Will post a JPG file (via Photobucket) tomorrow when I get back from work (although I'll be knackered because would have cycled 20 miles return trip!!)
Good night.
03-30-2010, 01:38 PM   #25

Original Poster
Great input - this really further deepens the mystery -
Rondec retains lens info when saved as from Elements 7.0 -
I seem to lose it - don't know why -
now you're reporting retention of lens info but loss of other data -

what is going on?

Can you and Rondec please post small sized JPGs with the EXIF still attached
so we can all see the differences to the samples I posted please?
OK guys, I give up and leave this subject as one of those mysteries which will remain unexplained. Why I say this you ask? I tell you why:
I took the shot below this morning as a PEF file, opened it in Elements just now and then saved it as a JPG. While in previous photographs there was no complete lens info, there is ALL in this one - the same as the PEF file. Opening the JPG in PhotME, however, gives the same results - only focal length. I tried another file in Elements but that is the same story as before i.e. limited info in JPGs.
See what info you get when you can download it. Sorry it is a big file but (embarrassingly) I don't know how to resize them - if someone can give me a short tutorial, it would be appreciated.
BTW, the shot does show that the Sigma 50-150 has excellent bokeh, at par with the DA* 50-135, IMO.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 03-30-2010 at 02:15 PM.
03-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A couple of things:

- If you must include a large image (wider than 900 pixels), use the IMGWIDE tags. I've edited your post for you.

- I would assume resizing an image in Elements is probably as straightforward as finding a button or menu item labeled "Resize".

- But in any case, since you hoste on photobucket, you can also get pohotobucket to resize automatically on upload. Actually it did already - but too big. Just check out the radio buttons during the upload and choose something smaller than 900 pixels wide.
03-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #27

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips Marc. I had wondered how you to click the image bigger - well now I know!
About resizing, I tried to do it in Elements but was unsuccessful. I'll try it again some other time.
Cheers
03-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #28
Veteran Member

OK guys, I give up and leave this subject as one of those mysteries which will remain unexplained. Why I say this you ask? I tell you why:
I took the shot below this morning as a PEF file, opened it in Elements just now and then saved it as a JPG. While in previous photographs there was no complete lens info, there is ALL in this one - the same as the PEF file. Opening the JPG in PhotME, however, gives the same results - only focal length. I tried another file in Elements but that is the same story as before i.e. limited info in JPGs.
See what info you get when you can download it.
Ah! I'm beginning to see the light....

I get the same as you going from RAW/DNG -

The RAW/DNG shows lens info in Elements after the conversion.

Saving it to JPG seems to lose the lens info when I open it with PhotoME -
but if I open the exact same converted JPG file with Elements using File Info > Camera Data 1 - the lens info is there! (incredible!)

However this does not work with the original JPG version of the photo.

Anyone can confirm this by downloading the small sized images I had posted in #21 above, and opening them in Elements (7.0?) to see.