Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

Sensor cleaning for the clueless

I got lots of dust showing up in shots with blue sky, etc. I have no idea how to clean the sensor. Is this something a complete schmuck can do or do I need to take it in? Is it a similar to how it was done with old SLR's?

Cloth? Blower? Any How To tips?

I am working a K100.

Thanks for helping out the clueless.

03-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Seafood Quote
I got lots of dust showing up in shots with blue sky, etc. I have no idea how to clean the sensor. Is this something a complete schmuck can do or do I need to take it in? Is it a similar to how it was done with old SLR's?

Cloth? Blower? Any How To tips?

I am working a K100.

Thanks for helping out the clueless.
Start with a blower. Then move up to the Pentax O-ICK1 (google it to see how it's used) cleaning kit. If those don't work then you'll need to do a wet clean.

Unless you Really Are a "complete schmuck" cleaning the sensor isn't that difficult. You just need to be careful.

Good luck.
03-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Search this site and the internet for help on this. But sure a rocket blower is the simplest tool.

Here is a video of use of the O-ICK1

YouTube - Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit

Personally, I find that cleaning my k100ds is just a little more difficult than my k10/k20.

One other thought. Even though I have the tools to clean my sensor (actually its the filter on top of the sensor but who cares), it was suggested to me by a pro that once a year have your camera professionally cleaned. I think there are opinions +/- on this but I've had it done and wow was it cleaner than I've ever been able to do. Not that pros have better tools just know how.

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 03-26-2010 at 11:30 AM.
03-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Forum Member

Check this out...

YouTube - Clean that Sensor! from LensPen.

LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars

or cheaper...

Amazon.com: LensPen SensorKlear Loupe Kit w/SensorKlear II: Everything Else

Just found this and I think I might get it. Very nifty gadget!