Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I think it is telling that we are told that our camera is “obsolete” because newer cameras have been developed that eclipse our current cameras capabilities. And as the original poster noted this point of view is consistent with what we hear regarding our computers. In fact any camera, computer, TV, or almost any electronic devise we purchase today will have been surpassed within a matter of months (almost certainly less than a year or two max).
My personal perspective on this is that there is absolutely no way I can afford to continually purchase the latest and greatest camera, computer, TV etc. every time a new feature is released. The truth is that in spite heavy marketing, I probably don’t need a new toy every time one comes out.
Therefore, I have chosen to look at my camera and computer and many other electronic items as tools and to then determine if the tool I have is good enough to do the task that I want it to do. If the answer is yes, then I need to resist the urge to replace it with another newer tool. If the answer is no and I really want/need the added capabilities then it might be time to get a new tool.
This past year I made the decision to upgrade my trusty old Olympus E-500 to a Pentax K7. The choice came down to the fact that even though I loved (still love) my Olympus it simply couldn’t do some of the things that I really wanted/needed it to do. So I did my research and found out that for what I needed the K7 filled the bill at a price that I could afford. I’ll admit that this point of view isn’t very romantic and I like many others do tend to develop a real attachment to my camera. However, this perspective has helped me to enjoy what I have and to avoid the temptation to get something new just because its new and has more bells and whistles.

08-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #32
Veteran Member

In my opinion, "obsolete" is a marketing gimmick. If you are the one that needs to have the latest gadget, then a K10D is way too old and obsolete. If you are the one that appreciate things and get a good use of it and take advantage of all the features, then the K10D is not obsolete. You can save some cash and get good lenses, this will really count towards achieving better results.

For example, a cell phone is good for calls. If you use it for that reason only, there is not need for a new Iphone/Droid/etc phone and the charges associated with it (data plan, text charges and all). However, if you want to access the web, e-mail and able to send messages, then get a smart phone and pay the associated cost that comes with it.
08-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jon in SC Quote
I think it is telling that we are told that our camera is “obsolete” because newer cameras have been developed that eclipse our current cameras capabilities. And as the original poster noted this point of view is consistent with what we hear regarding our computers. In fact any camera, computer, TV, or almost any electronic devise we purchase today will have been surpassed within a matter of months (almost certainly less than a year or two max). <SNIP>
It is very true that obsolescence is not necessarily a true statement. I used my built-like-the-proverbial-tank original (two shutter dials with the 1/25 1/50 shutter speed sequence and preset lenses only) Pentax that I purchased used in 1961 until the shutters were worn out in 1978. I replaced it with a KX. I bought the SF-1 for the winder because I could not afford an LX and winder. The MZ-S was bought when my wife took over the SF-1 due to failing eyesight for focusing. A small inheritance from my Dad allowed me to buy the K10 and the three DA lenses in my signature. My wife now uses the MZ-S.

The original Pentax was definitely obsolete when I bought it. It had no aperture stop down feature at all, let alone a meter. However, even so, I had sports pictures published that I took with it and a preset 135mm Takumar lens. On a good day I could cycle the old girl at about 1.5 seconds per frame, 1.0 seconds if I did not have to change focus. The operation involved thumbing the film to the next frame, opening the aperture viewing ring, focus, closing the aperture ring and releasing the shutter.

I don't expect my K10 to last anywhere near as long as the old original lasted me because now that I am retired I take more images, but darn it all, MPix recommend printing any size up to 24x36 inches from the K10's images (when I get them right, of course). I have two 16x24 inch gallery wraps on display and they are beautiful. One was taken with the DA 12-24, the other with the M 400 with the A 1.4X-S rear converter.

In the next little while, I will be trying out a battered old S-M-C Takumar 55mm f/1.8 that was given to me. That's not quite as obsolete as the Takumar 55mm f/2.2 preset lens I started with, but it should be fun.

Obsolete? Nah - Vintage.
08-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #34
Veteran Member

When the K7 came out I happened to have a tax rebate burning a hole in my pocket and got one. I used it pretty hard for a week. The K7 is a very nice camera and does several things better than my K20D. But I repackaged the K7 and sent it back for. I realized that I very much like my K20D and I am very happy with the photos it takes. Feature wise, the K7 makes the K20D "obsolete", but I'm happy with the K20D and have put another 10 K images on it since I sent back its "replacement." Obsolete is a frame of mind.

08-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Palu Guimaraes Quote
For how long will I love my K10d, before she will be a very old lady?
I love mine. She's a grand ol' gal. Fact is that she won the July Photo of the Month here, and she's won several weeklys as well as ribbons at the local aggie fairs through the years. She witnessed my children grow up and has rendered absolutely priceless portraits of them.

I once thought of putting her aside, but have not and now know that I will not.

In 1974 Dad gave me a 1957 Asahi Pentax. I still love, cherish and SHOOT that camera. I doubt that my K10D will last that long, but I am not yet dissatisfied in any way with it.

It took me three K20Ds to finally get a copy as sharp as my K10D, and sometimes I just plain like the colors from my K10D better.

I have a K-x. It is my "travel" camera. It is hardly an upgrade for the type of shooting I do. It is a stand in. A camera that has sufficient functionality to stand in for my K10D when I don't want the bulk or in very, very specific situations. The flash is better. The High ISO is better. I do not want to start an argument. BUT FOR ME that's about it. I do prefer my K10D.

Question: What is the Second Noble truth?

Answer: The Second Noble Truth is that all suffering is caused by craving. Rather than constantly struggling to get what you want, try to modify your wanting. Wanting deprives us of contentment and happiness.

The way you modify your wanting is to turn it into the desire to take great pictures. The tool you own gives you that capability. I have not achieved greatness with it, but others here have.

I will argue that until you can take great pictures with that tool, you need no other. Above all, do not be dissatisfied with the pictures you have not taken. Instead, go take pictures with that wonderful tool you do own. Be satisfied that you have fulfilled the purpose of the tool and your use of it. I think this is your inclination anyway... and I encourage you wholeheartedly and with respect.

"This is my K10D. There are many like her, but this one is MINE..."

Kind regards,

woof!
08-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #36
Moderator PEG Judges

It's about the images you capture, not the tools you use.
08-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
It's about the images you capture, not the tools you use.
This is true.
As long as one truly knows the reaches and limitations of one's tools.
08-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
The Second Noble Truth is that all suffering is caused by craving. Rather than constantly struggling to get what you want, try to modify your wanting. Wanting deprives us of contentment and happiness.

The way you modify your wanting is to turn it into the desire to take great pictures. The tool you own gives you that capability. I have not achieved greatness with it, but others here have.

I will argue that until you can take great pictures with that tool, you need no other. Above all, do not be dissatisfied with the pictures you have not taken. Instead, go take pictures with that wonderful tool you do own. Be satisfied that you have fulfilled the purpose of the tool and your use of it. I think this is your inclination anyway... and I encourage you wholeheartedly and with respect.
Very Buddhist of you, woof. I love it.
And I agree 100%. Know thy utensils before seeking others.

08-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
<SNIP>
In 1974 Dad gave me a 1957 Asahi Pentax. I still love, cherish and SHOOT that camera. I doubt that my K10D will last that long, but I am not yet dissatisfied in any way with it.
<SNIP>
Is it version 1 (1, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/25 T on the front dial)
or version 2 (1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30 on the front dial)?

Mine was version 1, and is in the hands of a collector's descendants by now. She was a great camera, either way! Do you have the original lens, 55mm f/2.2, preset aperture? I still like the colours that lens gave me on K25.
08-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #40

the more my k20d gets older the more i'm getting in-love with her...:ugh:
08-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Don't follow the posters and reviews, follow what you feel inside.

Today I have a K-X and love it but I know all too well that very soon technology will pass it by and it will be "my old lady" but it is the enjoyment that I will always have and the memories of the shots I have taken with my good friend the K-X that will always make it a special camera to me no matter how long in the tooth it gets.
08-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Is it version 1 (1, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/25 T on the front dial)
or version 2 (1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/15, 1/30 on the front dial)?

Mine was version 1, and is in the hands of a collector's descendants by now. She was a great camera, either way! Do you have the original lens, 55mm f/2.2, preset aperture? I still like the colours that lens gave me on K25.
Dad's is a version 1. When I got it there was already a big dent in the prism due to use when he was a photojournalist - two cameras around the neck no doubt. I have two others, but his I will never let go.

When he gave it to me, the glass was German and French. The two others I have came with the 55 f/2.2 and 35 f/4, and I agree, that 55 is a great piece of glass. The 35 is outstanding as well, and having owned a 58 2.0 and 58 2.4 I can tell you that those are also outstanding lenses.

I honestly and completely believe that as a digital camera, the K10D is a worthy successor in this line. Anything I have not been able to do has been a limitation on my part, not the camera.

woof!

woof!
08-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #43

One man's meat is another man's poison

We are unique in our ways. We have preferences and we make choices. Some of us are emotionally attached to our "old" stuffs; while some just want to possess the "latest" gadgets. I remember that the LED were made to last 100 years (but who ever need that quality?). There is real obsolescence versus profitable obsolescences. The typewriter is obsolete; cause no one is manufacturing ribbons for you; and you will take too long a time to produce a letter. The Pentium 3 is obsolete; cause no one will repair it for you; nor can you use the many softwares. However, it will work ok, if you just want to type a microsoft word (I read Lotus Amipro - wow, that's long time ago).

Profitable obsolescence is from iPhone 3G to iPhone 4. The old phone can still work' but Apple needs to support its $200 shareprice.

Same in camera - many are still using those SLR of "yesteryears". Choose and be happy with what satisfies you. Like one said, "craving" causes a lot of despair and disappointment in life. We have forgotten to be contented; and shoot beautiful pictures for our own entertainment and sharing!
08-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Well written, Van Gogh 53. My camera progression is typical of someone who does not buy the latest and greatest at frequent intervals - even though I lust for the new and finest. I owned and used a single Pentax screw mount camera from 1961 through 1976 roughly. The shutters wore through, so I bought a KX (film) and a Mount adaptor K. Then I wanted a winder, and bought an SF-1. My wife took over the SF-1 so I bought an MZ-S. A small inheritance from my father, and the increase to 10 Mp with the K10 allowed me to move to digital. When the K10 wears out, I'll figure out where to go from there.

BTW: The 10 Mp was because of the way I make big prints from small images. 11x14 inch vertical cut out of the centre of a 35mm Velvia slide because it's an osprey with a fish, still dripping water, and the fish has not yet been turned into flight position (streamlined, head first). The osprey is only about an inch long, but it printed up beautifully with a lab that knew what they were doing on Cibachrome. You can see the fish, and it has its head looking right at me. 10 Mp allows printing up to about 24x36 inches with a perfect shot that has minimal if any cropping, so I can get an 11x14 out of it. For me, 6 Mp was not enough.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 08-22-2010 at 10:04 PM.
08-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
(Welcome )

Be happy with the gear you have if it suits you, it's that simple
+1

QuoteOriginally posted by Palu Guimaraes Quote
When I look to my dear K10d, a see another beautiful camera. Heavy and well balanced..., and a lot more... I love it!
..., but when I read in our days some forums or articles, it seems that I own a piece of junk! And that makes me sad.
You can use this situation even at your advantage, given that this mentality affect every model, sooner or later, if possible find good used more recents models at cheap price!

Note:
I'm an happy k10d user, despite i'm less happy about high iso performance (3200 and even 6400 iso at f/2.8), so in future i think i will upgrade at a more recent body with better high iso performance.