Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

[K10D] {Manual Mode} Green Button with flash

Any way of getting the green button to adjust for ambient meter reading when the built in flash is popped up (not an expected flashed exposure reading) ? Only way I've been able to do it for now is to close the flash, green button, then pop it back open.

I'm actually even more worried after getting a flash gun. I don't want to render the green button useless if my intentions are to balance ambient with flash.

07-12-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try 2nd curtain and then green button. This works with the external flash. Haven't tested with the internal yet.
07-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as opposed to pressing the green button, why not try the DOF preview, which also activates the metering.

Although honestly, the metering in manual mode should be on all the time with an automatic lens any way, and P-TTL does not work with non automatic lenses
07-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Try 2nd curtain and then green button. This works with the external flash. Haven't tested with the internal yet.
Have checked this now. It works also with the internal flash!
So:
1st curtain gives you flash exposure
2nd curtain gives you non-flash exposure with the green button.

Last edited by blende8; 07-13-2007 at 11:15 AM.
07-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Have checked this now. It works also with the internal flash!
So:
1st curtain gives you flash exposure
2nd curtain gives you non-flash exposure with the green button.
Awesome! I'll have to try that when I get home from work. Thanks for the help! I didn't even think about the 2nd curtain sync. After I saw the slow sync option disappear in manual, I was baffled, haha.
07-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
as opposed to pressing the green button, why not try the DOF preview, which also activates the metering.

Although honestly, the metering in manual mode should be on all the time with an automatic lens any way, and P-TTL does not work with non automatic lenses
My metering is working all the time. I only have automatic lens at this point. Maybe I wasn't very clear in my original post, but I'm glad blende8 knew what I meant.
07-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
Any way of getting the green button to adjust for ambient meter reading when the built in flash is popped up (not an expected flashed exposure reading) ? Only way I've been able to do it for now is to close the flash, green button, then pop it back open.

I'm actually even more worried after getting a flash gun. I don't want to render the green button useless if my intentions are to balance ambient with flash.
Either set the camera to rear curtain synch or if you have an external flash, switch the flash to HS Synch - now it will meter without taking the flash into account. You may have to adjust the flash output though....trial and error...