Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #31
Veteran Member

RAW is always worth using in high dynamic range shots. None of the examples shown are HD so differences between RAW and JPG are minimal. This RAW shot was taken with just a tiny amount of the sky blowing out on the LCD flasher, I pushed the exposure as much as I could to try and make the deep shaded trees not disappear into black without losing the sky, the embedded jpg is shown first and the Silkypix conversion basically had highlight recovery on at 4EV and exposure turned down 1/3EV. The third picture is the same file converted twice at different exposures (about -1EV and +1EV) and combined in PhotoMatix. To me, JPGs just don't cut it in high DR situations on any digital camera unless tricks like these are used in RAW. The third picture is much like it looked in real life.

Camera JPG

Silkypix as best as I could do

PhotoMatix

07-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I see no point of this comparison: shooting RAW+JPEG, then externally processing RAW to JPEG to match in-camera RAW to JPEG can certainly produce the same result -- I see no surprises here.

The benefit of RAW is in the possibility to interpret the source data in several different ways (tonal and color corrections) and still output full 8-bit dynamic range. In-camera JPEG conversion is only one possible interpretation (sometimes right, but often wrong) and if we use that JPEG for further color and tonal corrections we are loosing information and degrading image quality. That is the main advantage of RAW over JPEG.
07-22-2007, 04:57 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Everybody shoots raw, willy-nilly.

How rude! I think you fully well knew what was meant when she and others were discussing shooting JPEG versus RAW. You'd have to be an idiot not to. And, contrary to what you obviously think (why you felt it so necessary to spell it out), we're not idiots. As such, your comment above was unnecessary and intended solely to insult her and our intelligence. Lets apply the same overly literal standard to you. You're totally wrong. Everybody does NOT shoot RAW. Instead, the camera records images as electrical impulses that are converted into binary numbers. Since the image is now recorded, that is the end of the shooting process (everybody shoots...electrical impulses initially converted into numbers). Afterwards, the numbers representing those electrical impulses are converted into RAW, with RAW simply that individual manufacturer's interpretation of that (different RAW formats). As with the JPEG conversion process, unneccessary data is "flushed down the digital toilet" during the RAW conversion (you don't keep "all" sensor data). Ultimately, the only real difference in this regard between RAW and JPEG is that software within the camera continues the interpretation of data still further.

Let's keep this discussion civil. It's fairly obvious you're a fan of RAW, almost fanatically so. Fine. But that doesn't mean you have to repeatedly lecture on the benefits of one and evils of the other. Those with cameras can see for themselves what they like (with most obviously liking the JPEG they initially see). It also doesn't mean JPEG is going away anytime soon. Virtually every digital camera, from the cheapest to the most expensive "pro" models, include JPEG and default to that as the primary shooting mode. As such, those shooting JPEG are in fairly good company and those shooting RAW are in the distinct (but at times obnoxiously vocal) minority.

stewart