Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Dirt speck on framing glass

I have a K-x that has a dirt speck on the framing glass. It's the piece that is tucked up on top that is ecthed. Its accessable after you remove the lens . I have blown canned air and tried lens tissue but it seems stuck. Any ideas how to get it removed?

03-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

You'd have to try removing the focus screen - that's the term for the thing you are talking about. designed to be relatively easy on the high end cameras (KXXD, K-7), designed to be not so easy on the lower end cameras (KXXXD, K-x). Browse aroudn these forums for any of the other discussions on the topic if you like, but bottom line is, most people agree you just risk making it worse and/or destroying your focus screen, and even if you succeed, there will just be more dist there within a few months. You're generally better off learning to live with it as a fact of SLR life.
03-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Marc. Live with them. Every time I have attempted to get rid of one, I have made it worse.
03-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #4

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I have had some in my K20D for months, I hardly notice it anymore. May get it cleaned one day, but it doesn't effect the image so its not hurting.
Also, I read a bit somewhere a while back about using compressed air in cans for cleaning, it said you shouldn't do it as damage may be done. Not sure how true this is but may be worth thinking about.

03-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ozzi-paul Quote
I have had some in my K20D for months, I hardly notice it anymore. May get it cleaned one day, but it doesn't effect the image so its not hurting.
Also, I read a bit somewhere a while back about using compressed air in cans for cleaning, it said you shouldn't do it as damage may be done. Not sure how true this is but may be worth thinking about.
Compressed air cans are not necessarily going to damage your camera. The problem with the cans is not the air pressure, but the chances of propellant going inside the mirror box. Makes a mess of things. It isn't that much work to squeeze a bulb, after all. If there is a one in a thousand chance that using a particular piece of equipment can damage my camera in any way, I don't use that piece of equipment. Period.
03-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yes and to add to that CR, if the compressed air propels a piece of dust at the sensor, it's traveling at high velocity, it could either become a missile that at worst damages the sensor or just gets firmly lodged there and near impossible to remove. This is not the most recommended method.

In the VF, just live with it....
03-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Banned

one thing I noticed upon cleaning of the screen in my istD is that it seemed to have static electricity. in other words I could see with my own eyes, the screen attracting particles in the air. I agree with others that its probably not worth the effort, however if you are diligent enough it can be done. I would recommend doing this in an environment with the least amount of airborne particles as possible. maybe a room with an air purifier if you have one. also, I would strongly suggest have a proper pair of pincers for removing the screen. (they scratch very easily) I have several from older film camera focusing screens, but you can get one (probably not cheap) from the pentax usa webstore, or ebay. the screen in the K-x was not meant to be removed so it can be tricky to get it out (do a forum search about this) removal and replacement are where you are most likely to scratch the screen. for the actual cleaning, I would suggest a microfiber cloth like those used for cleaning eye glass lenses. using a new, unused one with light pressure under ample light should make it easy to see and remove any particles that may be stubborn. a blower would be easier for larger particles. (I know some might be cautious about using the cloth, but I have done it many times, and if you aren't heavy handed, it will not scratch the screen. but again, for larger particles a blower might be the safest bet.

I am going to assume that the housing for the screen is the same as all the other kmount digital bodies not designed with a removable screen so any tutorial will likely be what you encounter with the K-x.

good luck if you decide to try and clean it, but as others have stated, this is a fact of life with SLRs and eventually you will learn to ignore some dust in the viewfinder.
03-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Peter, I did not think of that aspect, the high speed impact of the air stream when it picks something up. Another reason to use a hand squeezed blower. Thanks!

03-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Forum Member

I have many times cleaned my sensor and focussing screen on my old istDS using a sensor brush. It works rather well but your dirt might be above the focussing screen. There are several Youtube videos illustrating how you can remove the focussing screen.
Petteri Sulonen describes the sensor brush method
The Pixel Sweeper

Interestingly enough, my K7 has not needed cleaning in the four months I have had it. Perhaps the sensor cleaning at start up does really work.
Peter
03-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Peter, I did not think of that aspect, the high speed impact of the air stream when it picks something up. Another reason to use a hand squeezed blower. Thanks!
And don't forget the static electricity that comes with highspeed airflows.
03-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #11

I have also been a victim of dust on the focus screen - I broke the darn thing:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/94554-something-careful-about.html
Has cost me best part of £40 for a replacement!!!
Cheers