Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2010, 07:09 AM   #1

Am I sad, or what?

Friday 13th July 2007 I bought a K100d, I have clicked the shutter 32,084 times. On Tuesday 8th December 2009 I added a K20d and have clicked the shutter 8,121 times. Both cameras are working just fine and I very much enjoy the results I get.

When and if I am unhappy with the shots, it is nearly always my fault and not that of the cameras. Come mid 2011 I intend to add another body but until then I will buy the odd lens or two (the Sigma 50-150 f2.8 is catching my eye at the moment and also perhaps a good wide angle).

In short I am a contented photographer or, perhaps just a miserable old bore.

What do you think?

Richard.

03-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds perfectly normal to me. I believe I'm on a similar journey.
03-28-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Spencer Quote
Friday 13th July 2007 I bought a K100d, I have clicked the shutter 32,084 times. On Tuesday 8th December 2009 I added a K20d and have clicked the shutter 8,121 times. Both cameras are working just fine and I very much enjoy the results I get.

When and if I am unhappy with the shots, it is nearly always my fault and not that of the cameras. Come mid 2011 I intend to add another body but until then I will buy the odd lens or two (the Sigma 50-150 f2.8 is catching my eye at the moment and also perhaps a good wide angle).

In short I am a contented photographer or, perhaps just a miserable old bore.

What do you think?

Richard.
Richard, Friday the 13th is a very important day to me. My father was born Friday, Januarly 13, 1905. Without that particular Fri-13 I would not be here. It was not particularly bad for him either. He died 102 years, 10 months later.

You are not a miserable old bore - although I am a bore - but not miserable: I enjoy life too much. I am happy with my equipment as well. The only word I would change in your post is "nearly". In my case that word is not applicable. "it is [nearly] always my fault and not that of the cameras" in my case, deleting the word nearly is far more appropriate.

Second contention - you cannot be miserable and still enjoy your cameras as much as you do.

So we are both old bores, well I am, anyway. Let's take our obsolete cameras that don't do this or that or the other as well as Brand whatever, and go take some pictures and have fun.
03-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #4

Original Poster
Blackcloud, thanks, it is good to not be alone and perhaps normal. Normal - me, I doubt my wife would agree.

03-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
Canada Rockies,
Good one for your father, 102 is good going. Just think of all the changes he would have seen in that time, for one thing, powered aircraft had been airborn for less than 18 months when he arrived and man set foot on the moon well befor he departed.
You are right about the word `nearly` it should not be in the text. `Always` is more truthful.
Second contention. Yes I enjoy my cameras enormously and I secretly enjoy others thinking I am a miserable old bore. LOL
Richard.
03-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #6

Refreshing post Richard! After an initial equipment focused journey, I have now settled in a "content mode" with my K10D with roughly 30.000 clicks. Enjoying every new click I make!

You are most probably one of the happiest 10% of the Pentax people on this forum. A lot of people would love to be "an old bore", I am sure!

So everyone, let's go out and take picures!
03-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Some 40,000 photos in nearly three years! No I wouldn't be miserable about that, quite the opposite. Perhaps you have a problem managing your large photo collection, that would make me anxious, not miserable
Peter
03-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
No Peter, I`m not miserable nor anxious but I do get a grim satisfaction when showing my personal photos to friends and family who are all saying, "oh please, please - no more-". I think to myself, you guys have bored me to death these last forty years and now its my turn. 40.000 is a lot of photos but I photograph dogs and second hand cars most days of the week and they account for the vast majority of images. My personal shots are a lot less.
Richard.
PS. most of this thread is tongue in cheek.

03-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Slide shows

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Spencer Quote
showing my personal photos to friends and family who are all saying, "oh please, please - no more-".
PS. most of this thread is tongue in cheek.
Yes, indeed. I discovered the HDMI connector on my camera and realized that my flat screen TV was now an excellent 'slide projector' so proudly announced to my family that I could once more bore them to death with endless slide shows. The stunned look on their faces told me they thought I was serious.
PS is there any good use for an old Zeiss slide projector in good working condition, assuming that I can blow away all the accumulated dust?
03-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #10

Original Poster
Labnut wrote -The stunned look on their faces told me they thought I was serious.

It gets better if you carry on and start the show. You will be amazed at the reasons they give to be excused and go home early. Ah, the power of photography.
I have photos of friends and family when they were kids, show them these and they are gone, FAST.
Great minds think alike, I have an old projector and have tried to think of a use for it.
04-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #11

LOL as long as you like it, that's the best. I try to keep the shutter count down, but not trying very hard. I've a friend that is quite shutter-happy and he's turned out many phenomenal photos and some of the best candid photos. Keeping on clicking, I would love to reach my own 30,000 milestone.
04-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You sound pretty much just like me, however, I'm only 21 and I don't consider that to be that old.

You seem to be buying camera's at perfect intervals as technology becomes better and newer functions are added which seems just fine to me.
04-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That is actually a pretty good upgrade from K100D to K20D considering others would always upgrade for every camera that comes out and never contented with what they've got.
If I just had all the time to do photography then I would be very much contented.
Don't worry, you are pretty much normal in our world of photography.
I myself, tries lenses that may not be popular.
Who knows, you might find one that's cheap and is a keeper.
The journey is better than the destination so keep experimenting.
I would rather find things out for myself and learn rather than always follow the lead of others.
Cheers!
04-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I just hope that you don't run out of ideas for your photos, since it seems as though you've nearly perfected everything about the occasional bad photo. I hope that you can come up with new ideas, and that you don't get bored yourself.
04-15-2010, 01:30 AM   #15

Same here Richard

I too have a K10 / K20 combo, with my istD converted to IR. I have a good selection of Simga EX zooms from 10mm up to 200mm and the 43 & 77 limited pentax lenses.

I am delighted with this kit and am enjoying trying to get the best out of them. Trying to get the blockage in my elbows shifted so the picture in my head end up on my PC.

Haven't done the amount of clicks you have though - need to get out more. I got the K10 May 2008 and the K20 Dec the same year (it was a GREAT deal) and they have done 2500 and 2000 clicks respectivley. The istD has probably done about 1000 in the same period.

Enjoy your kit and enjoy your photography.

Bill