Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
1*** Think software first, then computing system to drive it. You camera and lens choice is the least important part, IMHO. ***
This is the opposite of what I think, too.

04-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
I have a K-x now, but I wanna a more professional camera.
Why do you want a more professional camera? What are you missing that the K-x doesn't have?
04-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #48
Forum Member

Having handled my K-x vs other user's K-7, I find the following reasons to upgrade:
- Much better handholding grip
- Much quieter shutter & mirror slap
- AA rechargeables , be it eneloops or recykos, still give me half-life durations despite upgrading to a better charger. K-7's lithium rechargeable packs more punch, and is easier to change.
can u imagine popping in 4 AA batteries on the move, vs popping in one Li-on.

The thing that kept pulling me back was that sweet 12mp sensor. How I wish "someone" can make a BG for K-x .
04-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noel Quote
How I wish "someone" can make a BG for K-x .
Could not agree more!

It's not a bad grip for the size though.

04-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #50
Inactive Account

There really isn't a great deal of difference in the major DSLRs. What we tend to quibble about can be addressed 99% of the time in Post Processing. I believe that is what Micheaelina is saying. I own the K20D and have posted in another thread that I feel Pentax primes are not optimally served by their DSLRs. That doesn't mean that I believe that other DSLRs are better, but it means that lens technology and resolution is ahead of sensor technology. However, that can be compensated for with programs such as LR. So, what it comes down to is something you posted earlier. You talked about the feel of the K7. I agree with you 100%. Another fps or a few more megapixels or a negligible ISO differential is meaningless if one doesn't have a physical connection with the camera. That is why I would never buy a camera online unless I first have had a chance to hold it.
04-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #51
Inactive Account

I was directing these remarks to Timichango, sorry for not being clearer
04-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
I have a K-x now, but I wanna a more professional camera. I am now thinking about two options,
1. sell my K-x and buy K-7
2. keep K-x for backup and wait for a K-8 or FF
Any suggestion?

Henry,

You're doing what I did when I got started. My first digital SLR was a Pentax K100D. A month or two later I decided to upgrade to the K10D. I have never looked back. I liked the K10D for its superior ergonomics, for its weather-resistance and more solid build, and a number of other features.

Now, when I bought the K10D, it had only been out for a month or so. So I wasn't worried about it being out of date immediately. I did buy a K20D shortly after it was released. Decided to pass on the K-7.

Anyway, your dilemma is, buy a K-7 now, or wait?

I almost always tell people to wait, if they can. Even if the K-7 is what you want, if you don't desperately NEED it today—if you aren't planning to use it at an upcoming an event, for example—then waiting for the release of the next Pentax camera (the replacement of the K-7) is likely to lead to you getting a better price on the K-7.

On the other hand, if you want the K-7, and if you want it now, and if you can afford it, then go for it. I can't imagine you will regret it (assuming you can afford it).

The last thing to consider is the possibility of something else. If you haven't invested heavily in Pentax lenses yet, then you might want to think now about your alternatives. I wish I had. I'm not in the least trying to suggest that you abandon Pentax. But it is another possibility. If I were considering something other than Pentax now, I think I'd be considering Sony. Just another thing to think about.

Good luck.

Will

04-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noel Quote
Having handled my K-x vs other user's K-7, I find the following reasons to upgrade:
- Much better handholding grip
- Much quieter shutter & mirror slap
- AA rechargeables , be it eneloops or recykos, still give me half-life durations despite upgrading to a better charger. K-7's lithium rechargeable packs more punch, and is easier to change.
can u imagine popping in 4 AA batteries on the move, vs popping in one Li-on.

The thing that kept pulling me back was that sweet 12mp sensor. How I wish "someone" can make a BG for K-x .
It could be something like the grip on the LX film camera, but using the tripod mount. I'm presuming you just want something larger to hang onto? Re the AAs...the K-7 grip can take AAs or a second rechargeable....so you can do both.

The K-x is a great little camera, no doubt about it. I think the mirror slap issue has a lot to do with the weight.....which can be good and bad. Once they drop down further in price one might be nice to have as a mini camera to use for low light etc.

I agree with your choice of the K-7. I would highly recommend someone take some time with the two cameras and compare the two when cranking ISO isn't required. High ISO is the new measurement these days.....like MP was a couple of years ago. It isn't totally representative of a good sensor. Since high ISO is not normally required for most shots (unless you normally take pictures of bats in a cave using no flash), deciding to purchase a camera solely based on that could leave you with a lesser camera 95% of the time.
04-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #54
Forum Member

It all depends on how long you want to wait..

A K-7 with a K-x sensor would be a super combination. Especially since the K-x has superior dynamic range as well. For my part, I would wait.
04-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
At current prices, the K-7 is a great deal, although it is still more expensive than the K-x. I just upgraded from a K10D to a K-7, because I wanted the better AF, metering, weather-sealing and construction relative to the K-x. When the K-8 comes along, I will not hesitate to sell the K-7 for a reasonable price, that is if the K-8 has a significantly better sensor. If not, I will hold on the K-7, which I bought relatively cheaply. There is no way that purchasing a K-7 now will end up costing you much, whether you keep it or upgrade within a year.

Rob
I just did the same thing for the asme reasons except from a K20. There is no point in waiting for vaporware and the K7 will do all I need a camera to do. I will also have the WR kit lens.
04-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #56
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Yep - for marginally more than a grand, I got the K-7, the WR kit lens, a spare battery, and a 32gb SD card... I see no reason not shoot the living bejesus out of this thing until it dies, and pretty much have it end up being the best money I've ever spent on camera equipment.

I spent nearly this much on a Coolpix 990 back in 2000, and that only gave me ~20,000 lowish-res, noisy pictures.

The K-7 stands to give me ~100,000 great images... for the price, I'm hardly inclined to think that it's not a superb value.
04-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timichango Quote
The K-7 stands to give me ~100,000 great images... for the price, I'm hardly inclined to think that it's not a superb value.
Wow! If you can produce 100,000 "great" images, you will have to be rated the best photographer of all time. I can hardly wait to see the first 10,000.
04-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #58
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Wow! If you can produce 100,000 "great" images, you will have to be rated the best photographer of all time. I can hardly wait to see the first 10,000.
Hah, very funny

Predictably, 'great' was meant to be interpreted as "technically superior to the images from the 990", not "artistically superior to anything".

Definitely not making any claims regarding my personal artistic/photographic aptitude — I'll get back to you in another 20 years on that one

Last edited by Timichango; 04-22-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added quote
04-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #59

For myself, I'm going from a K10 to both a Kx and K7 (Kx has priority) since this summer I will be traveling a lot, a once in a lifetime trip (at my young age). Might as well get a better camera now, and maybe resell at the end of summer.

I already put off getting the K7 last december and went instead with a 31mm ltd... too bad the blizzard put a damper on my traveling, I hope it wont be the same with the ash cloud...
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I'm also getting the money together to upgrade (thank you craigslist an people who want to buy my stuff). I'll probably go k7 unless of course it takes so long that photokina happens and they release a new flagship that is significantly better than the k7. (i.e k7 body/features with kx sensor + other goodies.)