Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
warning about Dolica battery for K10D/K20D

I purchased a Dolica brand DX-DL150 battery from Overstock.com to use with my K10D and K20D. I bought it because the price was very attractive and because the reviews at Overstock.com were positive. I've just posted a review myself (giving the battery 1 star out of 5) and I thought I'd share my review here.

The Dolica battery does seem to take a charge satisfactorily. I have just completed my first use of the battery, in my K10D.

But last night, when the camera reported that the battery was depleted, I discovered a serious problem: I could not get the battery out of the camera! I pressed the catch inside the battery compartment but the battery did not pop out. It took me nearly 15 minutes to coax the battery out of the compartment and I had to use a small knife and a little bit of banging. The problem is that the compartment is designed so the battery fits snugly—which makes sense—but because the Dolica battery is SLIGHTLY larger than the Pentax batteries, it was just a wee bit TOO snug. It's a tiny difference but would have caused a very serious problem if this had happened to me while I was working. (I shoot weddings and other events.)

I have now tested the Dolica battery in the battery grip that is attached to my K20D. The battery is very snug in the battery grip, too, so snug that I have to push it in and pull it hard to get it out. But the tray that holds the battery in the grip has a handle on the outside that allows me to pull the thing out, so I suppose it won't get stuck. The problem inside the K10D was that I couldn't get the battery to come out of the battery bay far enough for me to be able to grab it and pull.

Perhaps I got a bad one. But one of the reason some products are cheap is that the companies making them don't have the quality control of the companies making the more expensive products.

I'm not sure if I will continue to use this battery or not. I'll have to remember NOT ever to use it inside the camera body—the risk of it getting stuck in there is a risk I can't afford to take. I guess I'll keep it around as a last resort backup battery.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy one again.

Caveat emptor.

Will

03-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a similar problem with an off brand battery and the K10. The odd thing was that I got two batteries at the same time. One of them fit without a problem and came out without a problem. The other one (same brand) was so snug it wouldn't come out. I ended up not using it because it really wouldn't come out. My feeling is that off brand batteries just aren't as closely inspected on things like size, voltage, etc. Some are probably fine and some probably not.
03-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I had a similar problem with an off brand battery and the K10. The odd thing was that I got two batteries at the same time. One of them fit without a problem and came out without a problem. The other one (same brand) was so snug it wouldn't come out. I ended up not using it because it really wouldn't come out. My feeling is that off brand batteries just aren't as closely inspected on things like size, voltage, etc. Some are probably fine and some probably not.
Yes, that must be it. The Dolica battery I bought had a number of positive reviews over at overstock.com, where I bought it. Still, I really had a heckuva time getting the darned thing out of the K10D's battery bay and it really would have been a very bad thing if this had happened during a wedding!

The funny thing is, I'm usually pretty careful about my purchases and I generally don't worry about saving $15. The urge to get a bargain got the better of me this one time. Lesson learned.

Will
03-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting. I bought two aftermarket batteries and both were OK. I did not have any problems with them putting and taken it out of my K10D I only used them once. Since then, I sold the Grip with the batteries. Sometimes is better to go with name brand for your expensive equipment.

03-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have 7 off brand batteries from china and they all fit fine in my K20d.
03-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
I have 7 off brand batteries from china and they all fit fine in my K20d.
I'm not surprised. But as you see from the responses above, I'm not the only person to have had this problem. I have concluded that the problem—as I suggested in my first post—is quality control. And if this is the case, then it's not surprising that most of the off-brand batteries would be okay. But I'd be surprised if anybody has ever had this problem with a Pentax brand battery.

Will
03-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

sound like you just need to take a little sand paper and sand some of the battery down. just be careful not go to far lol

03-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I bought the Konica Minolta NP-400 for my K10D and K20D. They are good and not expensive .

Konica Minolta | NP-400 Lithium-Ion Battery | 8699X001 | B&H