Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K10d and Cold weather - what precautions

I know I know its the middle of summer but I was looking at some pictures of aurora Borealis that my friend up in Canada took some time back...

that kind of got me thinking what precautions one should take when using the K10d or any DSLR system in winter time under sub zero temps. I have never had a DSLR before so the coming winter will be my first winter with a DSLR.

07-15-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I don't think there would be many issues. Just take a few spare batteries for the longer than normal exposure. Batteries die quicker in the cold.

Tim H
07-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Some people recommend that you put the camera in a plastic bag when going in or out, to keep condensation down while the camera slowly adjusts to the different temperature. I live in a relatively low humidity area and haven't had any problem going in and out without doing anything special (that includes a couple of snowshoeing trips with the DS, and one with the K10 - it was a dry winter this year).
07-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I do alot of snowboard photography, so I routinely have my K10D out in -15 celsius temperatures (about 0 for those still using the utterly nonsensical fahrenheit scale) with no problems. It can work a little slower sometimes, and the battery drains faster, but thats about it.

As far as the "make SURE you keep your camera in a sealed plastic bag! or condensation will ruin it!!" statements I see everywhere... neither I, nor any of the professional snowboard photogs I know, put their cameras in plastic bags until the temp equalizes. Leaving it in its case is good enough, and honestly... a little condensation isn't going to wreck your camera. My camera fogs up all the time when I'm shooting in cold and humid environments... am I supposed to avoid photo ops because I'm worried about condensation? I think not...

Was I supposed to leave my camera in its Pelican and forgo this photo? I had to wipe the fog off my LCD after every shot, and things are still working fine today... (apparently I cant figure out how to link images...but its the shot from the latest entry on my blog :-P)

Just throw a couple silica desiccants in your case, and air everything out once your home... youll be fine!

Last edited by option; 07-15-2007 at 08:17 PM.
07-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the info Option. I am still looking for a good weather proof bag for my dslr. My old P&S never had any trouble with just going in and out of cold weather environment but with DSLR the rules of the game have been intrestingly different.
07-16-2007, 03:55 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by option Quote
As far as the "make SURE you keep your camera in a sealed plastic bag! or condensation will ruin it!!" statements I see everywhere... neither I, nor any of the professional snowboard photogs I know, put their cameras in plastic bags until the temp equalizes. Leaving it in its case is good enough, and honestly... a little condensation isn't going to wreck your camera. My camera fogs up all the time when I'm shooting in cold and humid environments... am I supposed to avoid photo ops because I'm worried about condensation? I think not...

Just throw a couple silica desiccants in your case, and air everything out once your home... youll be fine!
Well, I live in region (Finland, Europe) where temperatures can be lot lower than that and they are very long period in winter below zero C. So I suppose we have some experience about cameras and cold weather ;-)

Condensation is not a problem when going from warm environment to cold one. So you dont have to do any tricks when you go outdoors.

Photographing outdoors is not tricky, just dont breathe to lenses or viewfinder :-) it takes some time before the humidity of your breath dissipates from glass surfaces. It can even froze, if your camera is cold enough. Dont wipe it away with unproper means, sleeve etc. Use only proper clean wipes or just let it fade.

Condensation is problem when you go indoors. It is easily avoided by leaving your camera into its bag for enough long time to warm up to room temperature. Just dont open the bag and let humider air flow into the camera surfaces. No plastic bags are needed.

Condensating is problematic because it dont happen only in outer surfaces but also inside the camera, if warm indoor air can reach the inner section of camera and lenses before camera is warm enoug.

This condensated water in the camera dont make any good for it. Perhaps it can survive once or twice, maybe more, but electrical malfunctions are inevitable sooner or later. So, keep it in the bag, and if you really really have to take it from the bag, keep at least hatches closed and lens attached.... until it is warm enough.

One other thing has been already mentioned, the battery. If weather is very cold use two batteries. One in the camera and one in the inside pocket of your jacket. If the camera battery depletes, chance and put the used one to pocket. It is just cold and after little warming it gives power normally again.

Some serious nature photogs have been using in extreme conditions external batteries (battery in the inside pocket and power cord attached to camera), but this is really not necessary for casual shooter.

In the film days special maintenance was used for removing the normal lubrication of moving parts, because this lubricant becomes stiff in cold conditions and jams the camera. I do not know if they do this still today.