Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K7 Shutter/Mirror

lol.

Carl

03-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't understand his reaction... I like the quite shutter... that is good not... unless you WANT everyone to know you are a serious photog taking serious pictures... just listen, the thunk tells you it is a professional camera... just like a 50 cal rifle shows you are a professional hunter!!
03-30-2010, 05:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the point I think is that the K7's is so much quieter than the A900's - so much better?
03-30-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Your photographs determine your worth, not the sound the shutter makes. This test is rather pointless unless your shooting requires very quiet shutter noise.

Jason

03-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sold off my K20D for the K7 because of its quiet shutter. AS I do school events, I require that nice soft sound rather than the K20D's loud shutter.

But I do love my K20D as much as my new K7
03-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Your photographs determine your worth, not the sound the shutter makes. This test is rather pointless unless your shooting requires very quiet shutter noise.

Of course it's the photos that count ultimately, but the shooting experience should be pleasurable as well. A soft shutter enhances that experience. Also, it calls less attention to the photographer, which is sometimes very desirable.

Rob
03-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I shoot a lot of small meetings for the small town newspapers I freelance for, and since the attendance of these meetings is often sparse, the quiet shutter of the K-7 has been really helpful in my work. I really would rather not have my camera make me the center of attention

I hate it when there is a big issue at the meetings and the bigger papers send photographers with their old Canons. All you can hear is THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK in the background. Listen for this at a press conference sometime, it's incredibly annoying.

03-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jason there are many reasons the quiet shutter

Jason
.. is an advantage. Any press or military photographer, wildlife photographer, or even the casual photographer taking images of the cat or sleeping family members benefits from the quiet shutter/mirror noise. Just to name a couple...

I get follow up shots in quiet situations I never got a chance to get with my A900.

Try not to be so quick to be shortsighted!

C
03-31-2010, 12:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Agree with advantages and not shortsighted whatsoever(re-read what I posted carefully). The minimal shutter sound is absorbed into ambient noise when you are in 99.3 of shooting situations, especially outdoors.

Try this, go outside in a normal environment, stand 50 feet away, have someone click your K-7 and their whatever they have which is presumably louder and see if you can tell a difference, or hear anything at all! As for press photographers...since when did shutter sound matter?

Not trying to be argumentative here, just think the sound the shutter makes would be the last thing I would consider when choosing a capable piece of gear.

Jason
03-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Re-read it

Agree with advantages and not shortsighted whatsoever(re-read what I posted carefully). The minimal shutter sound is absorbed into ambient noise when you are in 99.3 of shooting situations, especially outdoors.

Try this, go outside in a normal environment, stand 50 feet away, have someone click your K-7 and their whatever they have which is presumably louder and see if you can tell a difference, or hear anything at all! As for press photographers...since when did shutter sound matter?

Not trying to be argumentative here, just think the sound the shutter makes would be the last thing I would consider when choosing a capable piece of gear.

Jason
Doesn't sound any different than it did the first time I read it Jason.

Your last line sums up the gap in understanding here- "just think the sound the shutter makes would be the last thing I would consider"

I understand you think that, but there are folks that appreciate it - repeating your opinion doesn't make it any more valid the second time around.

Do you own a K7? Cuz I got to tell ya, I didn't think it was a big deal at all, till I used it and the reality quickly set in.

I've already stated at least one situation where I have used it and could do follow up shots before where I couldn't have with my A900. The shutter on the A900 is loud enough to scare wildlife when you give your position away. If you haven't used either camera, that is the reason you don't understand.

Carl
03-31-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I was at a sporting event recently with my K-7. The guys either side of me, ranging from 10-20m away, were SOOOO noisy with their cannons! Seriously I was actually smiling to my self as I clicked away. I would hate to be that loud. There are a ton of situations where quiet is way better than loud, even outside.
04-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
Forum Member

Rush2112 said: "The shutter on the A900 is loud enough to scare wildlife"...

I agree entirely, and this extends to 'wildlife' of the human variety—for street shooting, the shutter sound is pretty high on the list of important criteria for camera body features, and is one of the primary reasons (along with size, available lens options, and tradition) why particular rangefinders have become go-to choices for this type of shooting.

The bottom line is that in some circumstances, having a shutter that sounds like a gunshot is going to be the difference between you getting that priceless shot of the 'decisive moment', and having someone erase the pictures from your camera the hard way... by snatching it out of your hands, and lobbing it at the pavement.
04-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #13

When I bought my k-7, I did not know the shutter speed would so quiet..I am SO happy that it is..It definitely makes it easier to photograph sleeping babies & the sound doesn't scare or wake them.

~Debra
04-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Totally agree with you :)

QuoteOriginally posted by Timichango Quote
Rush2112 said: "The shutter on the A900 is loud enough to scare wildlife"...

I agree entirely, and this extends to 'wildlife' of the human variety—for street shooting, the shutter sound is pretty high on the list of important criteria for camera body features, and is one of the primary reasons (along with size, available lens options, and tradition) why particular rangefinders have become go-to choices for this type of shooting.

The bottom line is that in some circumstances, having a shutter that sounds like a gunshot is going to be the difference between you getting that priceless shot of the 'decisive moment', and having someone erase the pictures from your camera the hard way... by snatching it out of your hands, and lobbing it at the pavement.
Especially your bottom line.

C
04-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

First time I tried my brand new K7, I honestly thought it was broken : I thought "what the f...! Mirror is stuck?", then saw the pic displayed on the LCD and the viewfinder clear again...

Last week, my brother (he has a K20, poor dude... Well, my K20, in fact) was playing with my K7 right behind me while I was studying my wife's new Kx, and I heard him commenting on the playback function. Knowing that the card was empty, I was quite surprised to realize that he took pics, while I heard nothing!!! We simply were back to back, two feet apart in a very silent, empty parking, and I simply never heard the shutter!