Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K20d Settings

Hi everyone,

Got a question for all the hard core Pentax users out there. I once again compared my K20d to a friends Canon 5D. We shot using the same settings in a dark environment. I was using my Pentax DA 50-135 lens at 2.8 at 1/60 with an ISO of 1600. My friend used the same exact settings on his Canon and his pictures came out looking much better then mine. It always seems that Pentax needs a ton of more light then Canon or Nikon.

Everyone keeps telling me it's my settings in my camera. So my question is what settings does everyone run with. Maybe it's a custom setting in the camera that I don't have set right but I'm just not sure.

Even if you just run down the custom settings list and say what settings you use, that would be extremely helpful.

Elwood.

03-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think there is a magic setting. If there is, I have not found it. And posting a sample might help others evaluate your results.
03-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Just make sure that you haven't previously adjusted the exposure compensation. Exposure compensation is remembered between power-offs. Either hold the exposure comp button in and look for the -2 to +2 EV scale and make sure it is on 0 in the middle. Or press the Green button to reset it.

I've been caught that way before, so I speak from embarrassing experience....
03-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Elwood,

Moved to the Pentax DSLR Forum.

Mike

03-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
Hi everyone,

Got a question for all the hard core Pentax users out there. I once again compared my K20d to a friends Canon 5D. We shot using the same settings in a dark environment. I was using my Pentax DA 50-135 lens at 2.8 at 1/60 with an ISO of 1600. My friend used the same exact settings on his Canon and his pictures came out looking much better then mine. It always seems that Pentax needs a ton of more light then Canon or Nikon.

Everyone keeps telling me it's my settings in my camera. So my question is what settings does everyone run with. Maybe it's a custom setting in the camera that I don't have set right but I'm just not sure.

Even if you just run down the custom settings list and say what settings you use, that would be extremely helpful.

Elwood.
Well, First of all, I think comparing the K20d to a full frame Canon is always going to leave you feeling a little short. Even with the 50-135. You don't tell us what your friend has attached. Secondly, are we comparing RAW - RAW or out of camera JPGs? What kind of metering are the both of you using? Etc. There are a lot of factors that can affect results.

My custom menu settings (unless you meant in camera JPG processing) are pretty much at factory default except for the mode dials. In Av and Tv, the front dial is set to control ISO. I have the setting for flash to use Flash WB when using flash. Things like that. For in camera JPG processing, I leave everything at natural (0) and do my processing on the PC from PEF files.

Typically, I always found that both the K10 and the K20 would underexpose by one stop in AE. This has been true across several bodies. I've read all kinds of excuses for it but it's just something I've learned to live with.

My suggestion is this.. Set your camera to M mode, learn how to interpret what the meter (or histogram) are telling you with respect to your scene. Then go back to AE (Av or Tv) and study the difference.

03-31-2010, 07:18 PM   #6

Just to ask another dumb question, but was the filters you and your friends had attached to your lens comparable?
04-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We set all our settings the same. Only difference is he was shooting with a prime 1.8 lens and I was shooting with the da 50-135. no filters were attached to either camera. He was actually shooting with the D7 not the D5...my mistake. I will post the photos online so you can see for yourself the difference.
04-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You mean the EOS 7D? Well at least that's a little fairer than comparing a FF to an APS-C camera.
In any case, it does matter what lens you put in front of the camera, exposure settings notwithstanding. An f/1.8 lens will simply soak in the rays a lot better than an f/2.8 lens and produce a brighter result.

Try it yourself with your own camera: flip to M mode with those fixed settings and no other settings allowed to vary. Then try taking images of the same subject (albeit at different focal lengths) with the different lenses you have in your collection. Notice the slight but significant exposure differences between them. c'est la vie.

04-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Did shot your friend with the same f 2.8 as you or he sot with f 1.8? If you don't say this it's impossible to compare and we don't need to see the two photos.